Duke4.net Forums: is there a smooth weapons animation mod? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

is there a smooth weapons animation mod?

User is offline   pacman 

something like this:

the weapons feel soo smooth with this mod in doom, throught some vodoo magic they achieved this, adding some intermediate frames I guess, somehow it works and feels like the original but just smoother. i cant really play doom anymore with this mod as the original animations are so unsmooth. i was wondering if we can have this for duke too. specially when reloading the shootgun, without this mod both doom and duke feel too dated. this mod solves it, we need this for duke3d.

This post has been edited by pacman: 22 February 2020 - 10:31 AM

User is offline   Tekedon 

I don't think there is at the moment. Too much time was spent making crappy 3d-models. But someone should!

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

That would be a good feature for the Cosmetic Duke mod. Maybe someone should bug December Man about it.

User is offline   pacman 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 22 February 2020 - 12:32 PM, said:

That would be a good feature for the Cosmetic Duke mod. Maybe someone should bug December Man about it.

That mod adds too much stuff, I would like just a vanilla experience just with smoother weapons.

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Never had a pleaser using weapons in any Build Engine game. All of them are raw, have no impact and animations look super weird. I mean thats why there is a separate position as animator in gamedev, cause it takes a lot of time and effort to animate things right.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Technically it may be possible, but someone needs to create the new animation frames...

User is offline   stumppy84 

View PostTekedon, on 22 February 2020 - 10:49 AM, said:

I don't think there is at the moment. Too much time was spent making crappy 3d-models. But someone should!

Hah, never thought of that but that is true. I’m sure the HRP was done to scratch that itch to have a modern Duke game. You can’t deny there are some talented folks working on that!

A smooth mod would be cool!

This post has been edited by stumppy84: 23 February 2020 - 07:51 AM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Nobody is working on the HRP any more. You may safely use past tense when talking about it. The whole thing started out as an ambitious project, but at the end of the day, we bit off more than we could chew.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 23 February 2020 - 02:29 PM

User is offline   pacman 

View Postbrullov, on 23 February 2020 - 06:22 AM, said:

Never had a pleaser using weapons in any Build Engine game. All of them are raw, have no impact and animations look super weird. I mean thats why there is a separate position as animator in gamedev, cause it takes a lot of time and effort to animate things right.

well, the duke 3d shotgun is pretty decent, i always loved the sound, i think it makes off for the jerky default animation, i wish someone released a smooth version

View PostNightFright, on 23 February 2020 - 06:31 AM, said:

Technically it may be possible, but someone needs to create the new animation frames...

If i remember right Striker was working on something like this?

EDIT: Found it, for the Old MP: https://forums.duke4...ip/page__st__30

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 24 February 2020 - 07:59 PM

User is offline   pacman 

View PostThe Battlelord, on 24 February 2020 - 07:57 PM, said:

If i remember right Striker was working on something like this?

EDIT: Found it, for the Old MP: https://forums.duke4...ip/page__st__30

Posted Image
Posted Image

looks great, i hope this is finished for all weapons and released as standalone

User is offline   Dzierzan 

While it's not a problem to add in between frames which would add some smoothness, the biggest problem here is creating extra sprites, just like Smooth Doom did.
Heh... If Duke modding scene had a tool as similar as Blood's qavedit, making new animations would be a matter of a day (minus creating extra sprites).

Edit: a lot of beta sprites were posted here or there for shotgun, freezer (flamer), mighty foot, so it should not be a problem to have extra frames.

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 01 March 2020 - 12:32 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options