Duke4.net Forums: Dethtoll.mid - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dethtoll.mid  "Shovelware midi"

User is offline   Sanek 

Do you know where this track comes from?

When I launched my Nuke It CD , it had a couple of midi's in it, including one track that replaces original Dethtoll from E1L2/E1L8. As I understand, this track was also featured on a number of other shovelware compilations that was released back in the day.

I don't know about you, but this track sounds extremely nostalgic to me. It still sounds very cool. It takes me to some very old days, when I still had Windows 98, no internet connection and all extra content for Duke that I had was 300 crappy levels from Nuke It collection. :rolleyes:

It must be some midi version of some well-known song that I just wasn't aware of. So what is it?

Attached File(s)

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Interesting. Never heard that one before.

Somebody may want to open the MIDI with either QuickTime player or VLC. In the passt, when I used to have them, it sometimes gave me the original titles of the files from Duke mod GRPs.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Track 1 has been titled "WinJammer Demo"
I think that is from software it shows up in searches for a lot of old midis.

This post has been edited by Photonic: 09 February 2020 - 09:41 AM

User is offline   NNC 

In another news, the City Streets was planned for Red Light District, while Taking the Death Toll was planned for Death Row. Not sure why they changed the two. Probably they needed a more inspirtational tune for a patience testing level or didn't want to interfere it with the barmusic.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

That's really catchy. The style sounds like it's something of a mix from Doom, Descent, and Hocus Pocus.

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostThe Watchtower, on 09 February 2020 - 01:25 PM, said:

In another news, the City Streets was planned for Red Light District, while Taking the Death Toll was planned for Death Row. Not sure why they changed the two. Probably they needed a more inspirtational tune for a patience testing level or didn't want to interfere it with the barmusic.

I believe that we already discussed that, a couple of times. The bottom point was the second guess, to make the barmusic stand out.

Anyway, as much as people hate the original Dethtoll, I kinda like to play the old '96-'97 maps with it, it's a perfect fit. With more modern stuff, it really sounds out of place.

Oh man, that MIDI is horrible. It does at least have controllers and such that suggest a somewhat competent composer, but there is definitely no metadata beyond the WinJammer name.

This is actually something that pisses me off about MIDIs, in the distant past I once shared recordings of a few on a board to demonstrate a couple of modules quickly. The MIDIs had no metadata, but by pure chance the composer for some of them was on that same board, he went mental, as if I was supposed to know who made the stupid things, wouldn't have it that he should have filled out his info fields, no, it was totally my fault apparently. Dickheads. Then again, that's the synth community in general, bunch of elitists with only a handful of decent people, then the other lot who spend hundreds of thousands on their gear, put it on display and never really use it, aside from maybe tapping out a few bum notes with the factory sounds for YouTube views, no music at all, recorded with a mic of course.

But yeah, that MIDI, who knows, probably just some random thing they dug up on the internet.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostSanek, on 10 February 2020 - 01:07 AM, said:

I believe that we already discussed that, a couple of times. The bottom point was the second guess, to make the barmusic stand out.

Anyway, as much as people hate the original Dethtoll, I kinda like to play the old '96-'97 maps with it, it's a perfect fit. With more modern stuff, it really sounds out of place.

It's hated because people had to sit through it every time they played a user map. And after Stalker, it was a lukewarm tune at best. The City Streets however is one of the best tune of the game, and a very underrated one as well.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostThe Watchtower, on 18 February 2020 - 03:15 AM, said:

It's hated because people had to sit through it every time they played a user map. And after Stalker, it was a lukewarm tune at best. The City Streets however is one of the best tune of the game, and a very underrated one as well.

Yeah. Never been a fan of Dethtoll. It's conceptually good. This sombre, somewhat atmospheric, march. Bum. Bum. BUM. bum. bum. BUM. It just does not hold up to repeat plays.

I'd say the best take on it that exists is the Saturn version which adds in some additional layers that help sell the idea that you're wandering a city under siege. Like a scene in an action or war movie where a big battle has just happened and the character(s) are wandering through the destruction, distant sounds of battle echoing. Much more atmospheric. It plays the repetitive melody of the original midi down in favor of the more atonal sound.

IMO the soundtrack is not bad, it just does not fit well Red Light District, it should be suitable for a Boss level or a "dramatic" level, like Death Row.

I mean, imagine to use a Chopin Funeral March to a party and Happy Birthday to a funeral, a hot district should be more "party" oriented i think, like the PSX soundtrack.
(talking about the classic one that we all know)

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 23 February 2020 - 10:31 PM

User is offline   pacman 

I always found out red light district so creepy as a kid, when i played it was still windows 95. So yeah, the music must have made the level feel creepy. I remember being scared of entering the door inside the library because it was really dark.

As far as the midi you posted, no idea

This post has been edited by pacman: 01 March 2020 - 06:18 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options