Duke4.net Forums: Graf Zahl Razes EDuke32 game code from his fork - Duke4.net Forums

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Graf Zahl Razes EDuke32 game code from his fork

User is offline   Phredreeke 

One nice thing that hasn't been brought up is that Raze fixes a whole bunch of visual map bugs (many which are shared with WangGDX but I think there's at least one that was added here first) like ome-sided or upside down sprites (which in Redux and the DOS version would be replaced with voxels unaffected by those attributes)

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 06 December 2020 - 12:14 PM

User is offline   mjr4077au 

View PostMetHy, on 06 December 2020 - 12:04 PM, said:

According to this page, I think you spotted this issue because you got the following error message "Invalid or out of range ambient sound number" ?

I believe this is the ambient sound sprite in question (spritenum 442, hitag 1002 for ambient sound, with a lotag of 31):

Attachment capt0001.png

I believe the issue here isn't that the sound is out of range, it's well within a sector and it can be heard at the start of the map if you spawn next to it; but that a non ambient sound is used as ambient sound. Indeed ambient sound def 31 is actually "BREAKSTONES", a stone breaking sound, which is not an ambient sound.
My guess is that the sprite is most likely a leftover of a point during development when ambient sound slot 31 was used for something else; but it could also be a mapper mistake.

Either way it makes no visible difference; as this sound is definitely not meant to loop there, or heard at all. The player is not able to hear it as it only plays once at the start of the map, out of range of any player spawn, Wangbang included.

My point is, if I'm correct about this and about my assumption (if I'm not, I apologize in advance), and I don't know how to say this without sounding rude: if you're going to include map fixes directly into the executable, I hope you investigate to see what the issue really is. What if the mapper had placed this sound intended to be heard by the player at map start, and used the ambient sound FX for it simply because it works and because usingt ST1 1002 for it would take away the hassle of using ST1 134 and a touchplate? You'd still be getting the same error message about the sound being an invalid ambient sound.

Thanks for your feedback on this. Don't feel like you have to walk on egg shells or anything like that :). I didn't do that fix myself but I'm sure Graf did his due diligence before hard-coding a fix.

Without the hard-coded fix, how would you suggest addressing the issue?

User is offline   Dzierzan 

Blood: Don't let Caleb's voice overlap if spamming the use key on a locked door. Fixes #113.

I always find it amusing, not an actual glitch. Well, Raze is your domain, so fix whatever you like.

View PostDzierzan, on 06 December 2020 - 03:11 PM, said:

I always find it amusing, not an actual glitch. Well, Raze is your domain, so fix whatever you like.

I'll put a CVAR on it if you like? At some point, we'll have a setting bitfield like GZDoom so things like this can be turned on/off as a player likes instead of CVARs for x, y and z.

At the end of the day, it's no good making changes that people don't like. Someone reported this as an issue as perhaps it bothered them, but then there's players like yourself who like it. Why not cater to both so everyone can have an enjoyable experience? :)

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMitch Richters, on 06 December 2020 - 12:53 PM, said:

Without the hard-coded fix, how would you suggest addressing the issue?

Seperate map hacks; or at the very least a setting the option menu to disable them. Players should be aware map fixes have been done.

View PostDzierzan, on 06 December 2020 - 03:11 PM, said:

You mean the sound playing from the start again if you press use before it's ended? Yeah it's fun

Caleb said:

ah it's st-
ah ah ah ah it's
ah it's stuck!

View PostMetHy, on 07 December 2020 - 03:14 AM, said:

Seperate map hacks; or at the very least a setting the option menu to disable them. Players should be aware map fixes have been done.

I've just jumped into bed but I'll discuss this tomorrow with Graf and see about getting our settings and compat bitfield pages set up for uses such as this, among some of the other things we've CVAR controlled. It has been discussed but got put on the back burner.

Thanks for your feedback on this, duly noted and hopefully we can get something going soon for this.

I'm not gonna comment about this particular hack since I'm unsure of the specifics around it, but I get the reluctance towards hardcoding maphacks. At the same time it is very much a quality improvement for the novice user. Having a CVAR to disable sounds like the best compromise.

User is offline   jkas789 

Raze has released version 0.9 .

Raze has been updated to version 0.9.1.

It is actually a somewhat significant update, as to me the movement in both Blood & Shadow Warrior feel better than in 0.9.

Granted, this is from a end user take, and I admit I'm not as versed as other folks. I do like were this is going though. It helps thats mod that use def files can be used so playing with the upscale packs (which phredreeke told me was possible since the start, doh) and the Voxel packs is my way to roll.

I still have my doubts on how things like user episodes are gonna be implemented (Blood and Duke Nukem 3D user episodes come to mind specifically).

Cheers.

Raze implements expansions similar to EDuke32, with each expansion showing up as its own entry in the launcher.

We're pleased to annouce Raze has made 1.0.0 and is no longer in beta :D.

Official Raze website (still under construction): https://raze.zdoom.org/
Official release post: https://forum.zdoom....php?f=1&t=71955
Download path: https://github.com/c...eases/tag/1.0.0

Major new features in this version:

• Vulkan backend is finally working.
  • Improved support for starting mods by dragging & dropping them on Raze.exe, primarily for Blood where .inis can now be autodetected.
  • voxel rotation can now be used in all games.

Full changelog:

• implemented support for paletted textures to Vulkan backend.
  • fixed invalidation of programmatic textures. This is only relevant for Vulkan because it stores the descriptor sets with the material, not the hardware texture.
  • pad out the StreamData buffer to 16 bytes and avoid any form of conditional compilation here. Vulkan does not manage to get the shader properly compiled without this.
  • always ensure that the global index buffer is not empty. This needs to be valid for Vulkan, even if it isn't used.
  • block opening of the menu in the fade out phase of a screenjob and in Exhumed's map/intermission screens. At these places there's some inteference that can bring the engine into an unstable state.
  • RRRA: Sector effector type 156 is not supposed to scroll the floor texture.
  • SW: fixed interpolation for sector object sprites. When checking for an existing interpolation it needs to check the actual sprite, not just the interpolation type.
  • Blood: disable look left and look right in the classic key configuration.
  • strip out macOS resource fork folders because they can contain data that can confuse file detection.
  • allow loading Zips where all content is in a subdirectory.
  • autodetect .inis when loading Blood mods. This will allow dragging & dropping such archives without further user intervention.
  • fixed some swapped parameters in status bar code.
  • Fix undefined behavior/potential OOB access in ST_21_FLOOR_DOOR. g_AnimateGoal does not take a sector number, it takes an animation index, and caps at 1024, not 4096.
  • fixed tileImportFromTexture. The parser read numbers with leading zeros as octal, which is not wanted here and texture lookup by file name must be forced for root directory entries.
  • Duke/RR: Don't delete master switch sprites. The sound system may play sounds on them after their deletion so they have to be retained. Fixes #288.
  • handle voxel rotation in the backend to enable it for all games. This was previously only present in the Blood module and missed in Exhumed from upstream so the entire option was rather pointless. Fixes #290
  • disabled 'isRunning' in Blood entirely. After discovering yet another misbehaving place in the game I think it can be safely concluded that this is better left off unconditionally. Fixes #292
  • fixed music in Blood's menu. This is only supposed to play for the fade-in of the background but needs to stop when the menu appears. Fixes #291
  • added a check for game-side-defined voxels when discarding one-sided wall sprites viewed from the back. Fixes disappearing voxel switches in SW.
  • sethorizon(): Ensure SB_CENTERVIEW bit is always cleared if horizon target is set.
  • gameinput.cpp: Block player input within sethorizon() and applylook() if target for each has been set by the ticker. Stops players having the ability to provide input and fight the system trying to set an input.
  • Further work within PlayerAngle and PlayerHorizon structs following 39fe9ef and bf2d807.
  • Fix Linux GCC 7 continuous integration target.
  • InputState::ClearAllInput(): Only clear crouch_toggle bool if outside of a level, and resend SB_CROUCH sync bit if inside a level and crouch_toggle is true. Fixes #287.
  • Re-arrange swaddons[] const char array so that /gameroot is picked up first following changes in f4b27bb.
  • binaryangle.h: Fix constexpr issue on GCC builds following bf2d807.
  • Duke: DoPlayer(): Ensure SB_CENTERVIEW bit is cleared when setting a horiz target from CON.
  • PlayerHorizon: Replicate changes to settarget() and processhelpers() methods from 39fe9ef.
  • PlayerAngle: Adjust how settarget() methods store angle for unsynchronised angle adjustments and adjust processhelpers() method accordingly.
  • fixed uninitialized clear color variable.
  • updated the earcut.hpp triangulator. The old one wasn't triangulating the bathroom sector in DUKEDC2 properly, the bug got fixed upstream in the mean time.
  • use clamp instead of bit masking to handle out of range interpolation factors for models.
  • fixed: G_BuildTiccmd needs to clear the command struct. This could otherwise pick up some stray data from earlier calls and create bogus input. Fixes #97

This post has been edited by Mitch Richters: 07 April 2021 - 12:43 PM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Due to this milestone being reached, I will post a small tutorial here how to get as many Build games working properly with Raze as possible. (For the sake of keeping things in order, we create separate subdirs for each game in your Raze folder for this. In some cases where CD music is also involved, this is an even better idea.)

PREPARATIONS:
In your Raze folder, create the following four subdirectories (names can be different, but these fit best IMO):
- blood + blood/music (this is where Blood and its associated files will go)
- data + data/music (for all other games)

CD MUSIC:
- Blood: Place tracks named as blood02-blood09.ogg into "blood/music"
- Exhumed: Place tracks named as exhumed02-exhumed19.ogg into "data/music"
- Redneck Rampage/Route 66: Place tracks named as redneck02-redneck09.ogg into "data/music"
- Redneck Rampage: Rides Again: Place music tracks named as redneckrides02-redneckrides10.ogg into "data/music"
- Shadow Warrior: Place tracks named as shadow02-shadow14.ogg into "data/music"

Blood:
- Copy all Blood files ("movies" subdir, blood.ini, *.rff/*.art/*.dat) into "blood"
- Cryptic Passage: Zip all files (movies/cryptic.smk, movies/cryptic.wav, cp*.map, cpart07.ar_, cpart15.ar_, cryptic.ini) to cryptic.zip and place it in "blood"

Duke Nukem 3D:
- Copy duke3d.grp into "data"
- Addons: Copy dukedc.grp, nwinter.grp, vacation.grp into the same subdir

Exhumed:
Copy book.mov, demo.vcr and stuff.dat into "data"

NAM:
Copy nam.con and nam.grp into "data"

Redneck Rampage:
- Copy redneck.grp into "data"
- Route 66: Zip all relevant files (see list here) to route66.zip and place it in the same subdir
- Rides Again: Rename redneck.grp to rides.grp, then copy rides.grp and redint.mve into the same subdir

Shadow Warrior:
- Copy sw.grp into "data"
- Addons: Also copy twindrag.grp and wt.grp into that subdir

WW2 GI:
Copy ww2gi.con and ww2gi.grp into "data"

This post has been edited by NightFright: 08 April 2021 - 05:55 AM

View PostNightFright, on 08 April 2021 - 03:06 AM, said:

Due to this milestone being reached, I will post a small tutorial here how to get as many Build games working properly with Raze as possible. (For the sake of keeping things in order, we create separate subdirs for each game in your Raze folder for this. In some cases where CD music is also involved, this is an even better idea.)

PREPARATIONS:
In your Raze folder, create the following four subdirectories (names can be different, but these fit best IMO):
- blood + blood/music (this is where Blood and its associated files will go)
- data + data/music (for all other games)

CD MUSIC:
- Blood: Place tracks named as blood02-blood09.ogg into "blood/music"
- Exhumed: Place tracks named as exhumed02-exhumed19.ogg into "data/music"
- Redneck Rampage/Route 66: Place tracks named as redneck02-redneck09.ogg into "data/music"
- Redneck Rampage: Rides Again: Place music tracks named as redneckrides02-redneckrides10.ogg into "data/music"
- Shadow Warrior: Place tracks named as shadow02-shadow14.ogg into "data/music"

Blood:
- Copy all Blood files ("movies" subdir, blood.ini, *.rff/*.art/*.dat) into "blood"
- Cryptic Passage: Zip all files (movies/cryptic.smk, movies/cryptic.wav, cp*.map, cpart07.ar_, cpart15.ar_, cryptic.ini) to cryptic.zip and place it in "blood"

Duke Nukem 3D:
- Copy duke3d.grp into "data"
- Addons: Copy dukedc.grp, nwinter.grp, vacation.grp into the same subdir

Exhumed:
Copy book.mov, demo.vcr and stuff.dat into "data"

NAM:
Copy nam.con and nam.grp into "data"

Redneck Rampage:
- Copy redneck.grp into "data"
- Route 66: Zip all relevant files (see list here) to route66.zip and place it in the same subdir
- Rides Again: Rename redneck.grp to rides.grp, then copy rides.grp and redint.mve into the same subdir

Shadow Warrior:
- Copy sw.grp into "data"
- Addons: Also copy twindrag.grp and wt.grp into that subdir

WW2 GI:
Copy ww2gi.con and ww2gi.grp into "data"

What about Duke Nukem 3d (and addons) Music?

This post has been edited by Blood Vengeance: 08 April 2021 - 11:24 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostBlood Vengeance, on 08 April 2021 - 11:21 PM, said:

What about Duke Nukem 3d Music?

It should just play from duke3d.grp

• The Truth is in here

If you are referring to the separate OGGs that came with World Tour: You might be able to get them running as well if you copy all tracks without renaming into the data/music folder, but I have not tested that by myself so far. I might also add instructions for WT itself since Raze should support it as well.

Before anyone asks: Ion Fury is NOT supported, and right now it seems there are no plans of changing that.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 08 April 2021 - 11:54 PM

View PostNightFright, on 08 April 2021 - 11:53 PM, said:

If you are referring to the separate OGGs that came with World Tour: You might be able to get them running as well if you copy all tracks without renaming into the data/music folder, but I have not tested that by myself so far. I might also add instructions for WT itself since Raze should support it as well.

Before anyone asks: Ion Fury is NOT supported, and right now it seems there are no plans of changing that.

Just tested and doesn't work, I still hear the .midi tracks. All other games soundtracks in .ogg format works fine

View PostBlood Vengeance, on 09 April 2021 - 12:36 AM, said:

Just tested and doesn't work, I still hear the .midi tracks. All other games soundtracks in .ogg format works fine

Are you able to please show me your directory structure? I just use an install via Steam, which has music in a subfolder. The music in there is picked up via extension substitution.

https://imgur.com/fYJ6W1p

View PostMitch Richters, on 09 April 2021 - 12:46 AM, said:

Are you able to please show me your directory structure? I just use an install via Steam, which has music in a subfolder. The music in there is picked up via extension substitution.

https://imgur.com/fYJ6W1p

Attached File(s)

• The Truth is in here

If you have World Tour installed, there is no need to do anything. Raze will detect the Steam installation of the game automatically and list it in its selection menu on startup. If you want to use WT music with Atomic, that's a different topic.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 09 April 2021 - 06:47 AM

View PostNightFright, on 09 April 2021 - 06:47 AM, said:

If you have World Tour installed, there is no need to do anything. Raze will detect the Steam installation of the game automatically and list it in its selection menu on startup. If you want to use WT music with Atomic, that's a different topic.

I have WT, but i wonder how to enable for example other music pack (same for Nuclear Winter and Vacation). It's possible to play Duke it out dc custom soundtrack?

View PostBlood Vengeance, on 09 April 2021 - 10:48 AM, said:

I have WT, but i wonder how to enable for example other music pack (same for Nuclear Winter and Vacation). It's possible to play Duke it out dc custom soundtrack?

Before worrying about the soundtrack expansions, did you get WT's music to work? Your screenshot looks good, it should just work. If you've come from an older version of Raze, might I suggest blowing away your config file and starting again? It's named 'raze-%username%.ini'.

For the other games though, the same concept applies. You can replace MIDIs with suitably named .ogg files and the engine will play them via extension substitution, but for non-WT games that will need enabling in the Sound Options menu.

Raze 1.0.1 has been released with a few fixes.

Official Raze website (still under construction): https://raze.zdoom.org/
Official release post: https://forum.zdoom....php?f=1&t=71967
Download path: https://github.com/c...eases/tag/1.0.1

Full changelog:

• Blood: let the RFS parser handle forward slashes when cutting out the base directory of a given file name.
  • better .def loading logic, allowing cumulative loading by using xxxx-raze.def, the old method still exists as fallback.
  • removed the no longer used 'options' menu item graphic for Exhumed.
  • fixed rffdefineid handler passing a bad file name to the backend.
  • block manual advancing of intermission screens when already fading out.
  • fixed item placement on SW minihud. Fixes #295
  • fixed .def 'music' parsing. This was incomplete and just ignored Duke's special music, and the levelnum generation used an outdated formula so that it never managed to assign any music to the maps.
  • fixed: extended sound lookup must check the sound/ folder.
  • fixed extended music lookup.
  • fixed: Vulkan did not define NPOT_EMULATION for its fragment shader, causing texture alignment errors, particularly in RR.
  • enable the render backend switch for Vulkan in the menu.

View PostMitch Richters, on 09 April 2021 - 02:28 PM, said:

better .def loading logic, allowing cumulative loading by using xxxx-raze.def, the old method still exists as fallback.

As a end user and in idiot language does this means that for example, duke3d.def should be renamed to duke32-raze.def?

It depends on what you're doing, but no nothing needs to change if you don't want it.

With DEF files names using that new convention, if you load 5 mods in a particular order and they all have a duke3d-raze.def, Raze will cumulatively apply the DEF files. This means you don't have to craft your own duke3d.def file and order the includes how they need to be, just load the mods in the order they need to be loaded in 😊

User is offline   Master O 

For https://raze.zdoom.o...supported_games, Duke 3D and its expansion packs are also sold DRM-Free on Zoom Platform:

https://www.zoom-pla...-atomic-edition

With World Tour you can't play Nuclear Winter, DukeDC and Vacation/Caribbean, they disappear from the list (with D3D Atomic Edition you can play them)

Yeah, it's inherited from EDuke32. My understanding is the current GRP loading code only supports one "parent" GRP file CRC per GRP file, which is set to the original Atomic Edition GRP file. The World Tour changes some of the ART files which causes the CRC comparison to fail.

View PostMitch Richters, on 09 April 2021 - 02:22 PM, said:

Before worrying about the soundtrack expansions, did you get WT's music to work? Your screenshot looks good, it should just work. If you've come from an older version of Raze, might I suggest blowing away your config file and starting again? It's named 'raze-%username%.ini'.

For the other games though, the same concept applies. You can replace MIDIs with suitably named .ogg files and the engine will play them via extension substitution, but for non-WT games that will need enabling in the Sound Options menu.

Yes it works perfectly the WT soundtrack: but I would like to play Vacation and Nuclear Winter with Megaton Edition tracks (Duke It Out in DC custom soundtrack works perfectly but i have to move it outside the main folder when I don't play Duke DC because otherwise owerwrites the main soundtrack)

This post has been edited by Blood Vengeance: 11 April 2021 - 11:09 AM

• The Truth is in here

I have made a script which allows you to extract Alien World Order from WT and create a separate groupfile which can be run without Steam. The next Raze release (after v1.0.1) will support the standalone groupfile created with this script (worldorder.grp) natively, making the creation process a lot easier (e.g. no need to choose your Duke3D version or copying the CRC32 hash into the grpinfo). The updated script will be released once Raze has been updated. Will keep you posted.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 13 April 2021 - 12:49 AM

View PostNightFright, on 13 April 2021 - 12:47 AM, said:

I have made a script which allows you to extract Alien World Order from WT and create a separate groupfile which can be run without Steam. The next Raze release (after v1.0.1) will support the standalone groupfile created with this script (worldorder.grp) natively, making the creation process a lot easier (e.g. no need to choose your Duke3D version or copying the CRC32 hash into the grpinfo). The updated script will be released once Raze has been updated. Will keep you posted.

Nice!!! ;)

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options