Duke4.net Forums: autodetecting for Ion Fury in latest Eduke32 revision - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

autodetecting for Ion Fury in latest Eduke32 revision

User is offline   Mark 

It seems this was intentional so its not a bug but I thought this was a good place to post.

Out of curiosity I decided to install the latest Eduke32 revision in my HHR folder. It has the same transparency and sound glitches as other newer revisions but thats not the main point of this post.

What I noticed is in the startup window Duke3d.grp AND Ion Fury.grp show up. The log file shows Duke3d.grp AND Ion Fury.grp being used for game data. HHR and IF are in totally separate main folders. Not joined in any way other than being on the same hard drive. I have always been quite adamant about keeping all projects completely separated. So naturally I'm concerned about Eduke32 now snooping around outside my main project folder looking for other data.

My question is: Is anything actually being read and used from my IF folder when I run a different project? This bothers me enough to ask. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Mark: 28 January 2020 - 07:46 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

If you read the log, you may found a line...

"Using <GRP file name> as main game data file."

Say, if you selected the IF's GRP file on the launcher, then in EDuke32 startup console window and the log file will shows "Using fury.grp as main game data file".
And the rest of log are all the engine just loading IF related files, I didn't see any of other game's files get loaded.

I guess the engine only loaded the game with you selected "game"(GRP file) on launcher, and then load the related/needed files for the game, but the log still shows those auto-detected GPRs and tell you EDuke32 found them.

In fact, if you look the EDuke32 startup, you would found those auto-detected lines show first and then the launcher and option window shows up.

User is offline   Mark 

I hope that is all it is. Thanks for the reply.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

IIRC it has a few hardcoded paths to make life easier, not 100% sure on this.
Stuff like Steam / Gog installs for duke are poked from those specific folders.
"Fury" was integrated to mainline code not long ago, it used to require a separate compile flag.

In this case, fury was just about adding one more folder that it checks as the exe is capable of running both now. (Dunno if it checks gog, etc..)

Only the GRP that was selected will actually be used. This allows you to pick expansions / etc.. from here if you have multiple GRPs

User is offline   Mark 

"Only the GRP that was selected will actually be used." :dukeaffirmative

As long as it doesn't start using anything from outside my project folder I'll stay a happy camper.

This post has been edited by Mark: 28 January 2020 - 10:06 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options