Duke4.net Forums: I want to share an idea I had for a new type of FPS game since I"m never gana make it - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I want to share an idea I had for a new type of FPS game since I"m never gana make it  "An FPS trading card game"

User is offline   king karl 

I want to talk about an idea i had for a game. It follows the level design and gameplay of duke 3d or shadow warrior ect but it has some new meta game mechanics that would increase replayability to near infinite levels; it is an FPS deck builder where the deck you build determines what enemies, guns, and environmental objects spawn in the levels

So I was playing a mod for doom called aeod6 that combines many 100s of guns and 1000s of enemies into a single mod and i thought "wow I wish i could play a game more often with this many guns and monsters" so i got to thinking about how one could commercially benefit from that much dev time.

It would contain episodes with themes no different from what you see in duke 3d but whatever assets are in that episode go into a card pack that would be sold. randomly giving you some cards with enemies, weapons, powerups, explosive barrels ect that you can then put in your deck.

the episodes would be released free after initial purchase of the base game and you can play them "vanilla" (with the assets as devs placed them" or with your personal deck (where the cards in your deck determine what spawns).

here is how the deck building would work:

Weapons cards will get a number (1-10) and this determines what slot they fill on your keyboard. you must have at least 1 in each slot (you have enough options for some choices when you buy the base game) If you have more than 1 card in the same slot they will have each an equal chance of being selected to fill that spawn when the level loads.

enemies work the same way and are divided by what role the monster plays: (flying enemy, very weak enemy, tougher enemies, boss, super hard boss ect ect)

powerup/item , environmental objects, and other assets work the same way

map making tools would also be released free and the best levels would be compiled into episodes and the makers of those levels would be rewarded rare creator card packs with special weapons and enemies that only the best mapmakers can get. all assets can be placed in a level even if you don't own those assets personally and each new episode released would see an expanding array of art and tile sets for you to use.

The idea is to build an ever larger deck with so many choices you might see 100s of guns over the course of a single episode. and since the devs have incentive to make many new levels and weapons and enemies you would have an old fashioned FPS with constantly expanding new stuff

what do you think? i know not everyone likes micro transactions but I see no other way to make a game like this and it has a strong benefit to the dev (easy to make new assets rather than starting with a new base game every time) and the consumer (constantly expanding old school FPS with many weapon and enemy options)

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Suggestion: Every level of the first episode has sub-areas with certain entry requirements; also multiple paths with different difficulties. So, you can beat some levels with a vanilla deck, but, to access optional areas in the level or get the better ending for the level, certain specific items (i.e. cards) need to be equipped. And obviously, better weapons / armor helps with the more difficult optional encounters. Then if you beat those optional challenges there is a chance at getting certain cards. Player is incentivized to buy a pack to enable beating optional challenges to get better cards to beat more challenges...

I don't think it makes much sense to have cards for monsters, though. Just have all the monsters in the game for everyone, but you don't actually see a lot of them unless you have better equipment that allows you to get to them.

User is offline   king karl 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 23 January 2020 - 10:14 PM, said:

Suggestion: Every level of the first episode has sub-areas with certain entry requirements; also multiple paths with different difficulties. So, you can beat some levels with a vanilla deck, but, to access optional areas in the level or get the better ending for the level, certain specific items (i.e. cards) need to be equipped. And obviously, better weapons / armor helps with the more difficult optional encounters. Then if you beat those optional challenges there is a chance at getting certain cards. Player is incentivized to buy a pack to enable beating optional challenges to get better cards to beat more challenges...

I don't think it makes much sense to have cards for monsters, though. Just have all the monsters in the game for everyone, but you don't actually see a lot of them unless you have better equipment that allows you to get to them.

well your deck not only determines what weapons spawn but also what enemies spawn so I don't think it would be possible for an encounter to occur where you would be outmatched. the reason it is important to have monsters in the deck is so that you can socket them in to levels they normally don't appear in by bringing your deck with you. You can even put every monster you own in the same deck at once for maximum chaos as themes clash and come together creating odd varieties

i never pictured some cards being "better" than another. just infinite expanding variety. (i mean a pistol isn't as good as a rocket launcher true but your deck must always have both of those slots filled and their placement is up to the mapmaker)

you could give a free card pack of that episode's theme for the first time completion of the episode. that's a good idea

This post has been edited by king karl: 23 January 2020 - 10:28 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options