Duke4.net Forums: Is there any way to run the add-ons in DosBox using the Megaton GRPs? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is there any way to run the add-ons in DosBox using the Megaton GRPs?

User is online   Ninety-Six 

Title. This is less in the interest for play's sake (as we have eDuke32 for that), and more for historical intrigue.

I admit that I haven't loaded anything alongside Duke in DOS since I actually had a dos machine, so if the matter is far simpler than I think it is, I apologize.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Yes. Delete or move away all CON files in your DOS Duke 3D installation, then copy the three addon GRPs from Megaton to the install location. After that you will need to perform these steps because DOS Duke requires a copy of the main CON file to be loose in its folder outside any GRP.

kextract VACATION.GRP GAME.CON
ren GAME.CON VACATION.CON
kextract NWINTER.GRP NWINTER.CON
kextract DUKE3D.GRP GAME.CON

Then to run the addons you would do this:

duke3d /gdukedc.grp
duke3d /gvacation.grp /xvacation.con
duke3d /gnwinter.grp /xnwinter.con

Let me know if this doesn't work.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 12 January 2020 - 02:47 PM

Should I restore the default cons once the extraction/renaming process is over or would those all need to be shuffled away each time?

Scratch that I think I understand.

None of them work, unfortunately. It loads Duke 3D but it seems to be ignoring the commands to include the grps or the cons. They're all there and named accordingly, and I don't get any crashes or errors; it just doesn't seem to load them.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 12 January 2020 - 02:21 AM

User is offline   necroslut 

I think it should be "duke3d /gvacation.grp /xvacation.con"

View Postnecroslut, on 12 January 2020 - 02:33 AM, said:

I think it should be "duke3d /gvacation.grp /xvacation.con"

This was the correct syntax.

EDIT: Turns out I was dumb and forgot to delete user.con as well. That seemed to be causing the other issues.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 12 January 2020 - 02:53 AM

• Weaponized Autism

I've updated my post.

View PostNinety-Six, on 11 January 2020 - 09:53 PM, said:

Should I restore the default cons once the extraction/renaming process is over or would those all need to be shuffled away each time?

No, this is a one-time setup process.

Awesome, thank you.

So here's something interesting. While tinkering around with the dos setup just to see what I could get away with, I tried to load the DC music pack (with the provided midis instead of the oggs, of course). To do this I extracted the user.con straight from the grp, and then renamed it. I edited the music section to point to the song filenames as opposed to overwriting the defaults. I then tried to load it with the same /x parameter and it did load, but suddenly there was a bunch of errors related to undefined attributes (like pred_roam, "Yes"). Again, this was straight from the very same .grp.

I wanted to see what would happen. And I must admit, on that list of things I expected to happen, this wasn't on there.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 17 January 2020 - 02:53 AM

View PostNinety-Six, on 17 January 2020 - 02:49 AM, said:

So here's something interesting. While tinkering around with the dos setup just to see what I could get away with, I tried to load the DC music pack (with the provided midis instead of the oggs, of course). To do this I extracted the user.con straight from the grp, and then renamed it. I edited the music section to point to the song filenames as opposed to overwriting the defaults. I then tried to load it with the same /x parameter and it did load, but suddenly there was a bunch of errors related to undefined attributes (like pred_roam, "Yes"). Again, this was straight from the very same .grp.

I wanted to see what would happen. And I must admit, on that list of things I expected to happen, this wasn't on there.

Sounds like there's some unclosed bit of code, you probably removed some punctuation.

View Postnecroslut, on 17 January 2020 - 02:54 AM, said:

Sounds like there's some unclosed bit of code, you probably removed some punctuation.

Nope. I even thought of that, so I extracted user.con a second time and tried to load it alongside the .grp without me ever touching it at all.

Identical errors.

View PostNinety-Six, on 17 January 2020 - 03:09 AM, said:

Nope. I even thought of that, so I extracted user.con a second time and tried to load it alongside the .grp without me ever touching it at all.

Identical errors.

Did you load the user.con with an /x command? You can only use it to load a game.con equivalent, not user.con or defs.con.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 17 January 2020 - 04:30 AM

View Postnecroslut, on 17 January 2020 - 04:30 AM, said:

Did you load the user.con with an /x command? You can only use it to load a game.con equivalent, not user.con or defs.con.

Now that I didn't know.

• Weaponized Autism

copy GAME.CON MYDUKEDC.CON
kextract DUKEDC.GRP USER.CON
ren USER.CON MYDCUSER.CON

Modify MYDUKEDC.CON so that "include USER.CON" becomes "include MYDCUSER.CON".

Modify MYDCUSER.CON to suit.

duke3d /gdukedc.grp /xmydukedc.con

I should have thought of that. Dang it.

Thanks again. It's amazing what we take for granted with eDuke32 and its folder system.

Yeah, the other cons are loaded via the "include" lines in game.con.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options