Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   Maarten 

View Postck3D, on 12 February 2021 - 02:09 PM, said:

Yeah the motivation and apparent emulation in this thread in general is cool to see right now!
(...)
I like the new shot, gives me some early Roch map vibe for some reason, I think the building textures and also that screen. With a blue sky, that could look just like out of Roch 2 (one of my favorites in the series).

Yeah, I guess that's the only positive thing about this covid/lockdown haha. I miss my band gigs & events and otther live stuff. But on the other hand..it's good to continue mapping some ideas which have been running in my mind for YEARS but never got/took the time to make it. Actually, I already have plans for more AAP maps (-': I just discovered your thread, very cool stuff!!
I take roch2 as a big compliment, it's one of my favourite roch maps as well. I actually played all the Roch maps recently! It's still one of my favorite series.

@Jimbob: this map is going to be even bigger ;) But the gameplay will have a bit more "straight forward" influences this time around. If your stuck in AAP1, feel free to ask help!

User is offline   ck3D 

^ That is great. I feel the same way about lockdown, such a completely different lifestyle it sort of locks you in but like you're saying, might as well put that extra indoor time to use and focus on outlets such as mapping if you're going to get stuck anyway. I feel the same way about longtime rampant ideas that now is the appropriate time to express (although to be honest, I always thought the best ideas for Duke maps always took years to mature); in a way it's sort of funny how without such a context there probably wouldn't be that much work on new maps currently, I can tell a lot of people are sort of reconciliating with their natural drive to do it and using the social slowdown to take their own style to new depths and that's great. At least something beautiful about the current times - or maybe I'm just trying to see the glass half full. Good luck with everything!

This post has been edited by ck3D: 13 February 2021 - 02:53 AM

WIP shots while trying to make a tractor in Duke :D
Feel free to give me suggestions!

PS still lots of inspiration....about 70% finished. about 3900 walls left to use... :P

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0100.png
  • Attached Image: duke0101.png

This post has been edited by Maarten: 18 February 2021 - 06:14 AM

User is offline   ck3D 

^ That tractor is great! Looks very unique. Maybe because of the dimensions there is something slightly abstract about it but I love it, I hope you keep it as it is. Will look even cooler with shading.

For inspiration regarding vehicles, I'd recommend looking into Reginukem's maps, always thought they had such a cool style on those.

User is offline   Aleks 

Cool to see so much stuff going on in this thread!

@Maarten, great shots as always, love the tractor too! And the city shot gives me some... Shaky Grounds vibes? :P

Posting some cave exploring pictures. Not sure if the 256 limit of cyclers mentioned in infosuite is still valid, but I was quite close to it here...

Attached Image: duke0007.png Attached Image: duke0008.png

Got to say @jimbob I'm just going to guess you are aware of the Quake Quack meme right?

User is offline   Sanek 

@Maarten The tractor looks awesome! One of these moments like "why didn't I think of it before!". I also like the background area, it seems like it's going to be a country type of map. It also reminds me of my unfinished map.

@Aleks I'm thinking about DukePlus for some reason, there's enough space for some vehicle to drive by

User is offline   jimbob 

View PostTruck Stop Santa Claus, on 19 February 2021 - 04:18 AM, said:

Got to say @jimbob I'm just going to guess you are aware of the Quake Quack meme right?

yes, but only very recently :D

anyway, heres some new shots.
the piano is interactable, probably going to add a few different things that can be played using the multiswitch.
sensitive imagery and all that, you know the drill.
all these shots come from the chateau map

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0004.png
  • Attached Image: duke0006.png
  • Attached Image: duke0007.png
  • Attached Image: duke0010.png
  • Attached Image: duke0011.png
  • Attached Image: duke0013.png
  • Attached Image: duke0016.png
  • Attached Image: duke0017.png

This post has been edited by jimbob: 25 February 2021 - 04:52 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Is there a bomb attached to one of the piano keys like in the Bugs Bunny cartoon? :lol:

User is offline   jimbob 

no, but that could be made into a secret of sorts, playing the right piece of music opens a door or something ;)

ill make a note ( har )

User is offline   pmw 

Ww2 mod looks cool. I'm waiting for it, any ETA?

User is offline   jimbob 

View Postpmw, on 27 February 2021 - 08:18 AM, said:

Ww2 mod looks cool. I'm waiting for it, any ETA?

i want to release the first episode ASAP, need to do some things before that can happen, like get those aliens turned into germans, finish the last couple of maps and think of a nice bossfight.
the corona situation is making it hard to plan a visit, since we have a curfew and whatnot.

User is offline   Loke 

Fiddling around in AMC TC and Mapster again after a long break. Skyboxes are always fun to make.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: amc_tc_merlijn.jpg

User is offline   jimbob 

that looks cool :)

@ck#D: Thanks! Also thanks for the suggestion, never saw or played Reginukem. I might be looking, but I think I'm happy with the tractor :)
@Aleks: Thanks! Hehe IC where you're coming from when mention Shaky Grounds..part 2 had same ground texture etc. IC you've quite some inspiration as well! Nice :)
@Sanek: haha well..this tractor just came into my mind.. It wasn't even planned haha. I love creating "weird" stuff to keep things fresh for myself :)
@Jimbob & Loke: going really well I see! Everyone seems to be inspired by making special stuff!
---------------------------------------------------------
Meanwhile, have mapped a lot previous week. Lots of sprites for a effect & finished a lot of the gameplay. About 3100 walls left, it's save to say the map is 85% done since the main thing that has to be done is polishing locations and finishing design. Also, this time around I'm experimenting a little more with shadows (something I barely do). No promise on release date yet ;)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Aap 2 maart-1.png

This post has been edited by Maarten: 03 March 2021 - 01:12 PM

User is online   quakis 

I love the lighting Maarten.

This post has been edited by quakis: 03 March 2021 - 01:14 PM

User is offline   ck3D 

That's my favorite screenshot you've posted so far Maarten, very atmospheric, shadows are looking great. Really cool to see you do more of these and I hope you keep it up, you might find yourself realizing how addictive the process is sooner than you think! (Just one observation in case you wouldn't have caught it yet, but the textures above the upper right corner of the door are misaligned between the lit and dark parts. Tile on the dark and bright segments of that destroyed panel on the ground slightly is as well).

This post has been edited by ck3D: 03 March 2021 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for the replies! Good to see you're still around as well, Quakis!
ck3D: thanks, I will fix it! I actually made this part just a hour ago haha.

Also, like as always, I'm going to write/record music for this project. Thinking about less electronic, more piano this time around..maybe a bit like E1L4 but more powerfull :) Oh well, I always end up louder anyway :P

User is offline   Aleks 

Cool stuff, Maarten! Looks like the early 2000s trends for more details are slowly coming back Posted Image Also I giggled a little at MRCK's comment, because I've noticed the same 2 discrepancies on your screenshot with slight misalignments and they also turned my OCD a little bit :P

And yeah, I've been having quite a steady progress lately, despite hardly finding as much time to map as I'd like. In fact, the main outline of the map is completed and just few areas need some extra detailing. My biggest concern right now is dealing with the resources, as I've got like 240 walls left now and I'm at like 14,6k sprites for some reason - honestly I've no idea how this number got so crazy, but it's the point where I should be careful with it and can't go crazy with spriteworks anymore. I must admit here that a few weeks ago, I've added like 1500 sprites to the map during a single day :o

Here's a little screenshot of a gantry I made a few weeks ago - it can be operated, i.e. can move forward and lift/lower.
Attached Image: week5_01.png

This post has been edited by Aleks: 03 March 2021 - 03:56 PM

View PostAleks, on 03 March 2021 - 03:54 PM, said:

Cool stuff, Maarten! Looks like the early 2000s trends for more details are slowly coming back
Attachment week5_01.png

That's a interesting thing you say. Maybe it is, but my style for most part got a lot more "clean" & less busy compared to Another Big Base Attacked. AAP1 outside location was getting framerate problems on older machines, so I was kind of forced to not use a lot of details. The inside locations (and my map Spacetronic) has same kind of style as this shot (at least to me haha). Still, I do take your comment as a compliment btw :)

Nice screenshot btw! And wow...sounds promising about the use of sprites (hope it's not a corrupt thing haha).

This post has been edited by Maarten: 04 March 2021 - 11:00 AM

User is offline   ck3D 

View PostMaarten, on 03 March 2021 - 01:09 PM, said:

@ck#D: Thanks! Also thanks for the suggestion, never saw or played Reginukem. I might be looking, but I think I'm happy with the tractor :)

Just noticed this - FYI Reginukem isn't a mod, they're a Brazilian mapper from the mid 2000's who really had a knack for unique vehicles in their city maps, here are some screenshots off MSDN and Arrovfnukem that aren't representative of their best work but sort of show the style I mean. Occasionally they sort of look like they were put together using LEGO blocks, but every once in a while there are particularly smart ideas and some instances that look really cool. Their levels can be a bit hard to track down because there are quite a lot of them and yet not the same ones are reviewed from website to website or so it seems and so you have to look a bit all over the place to find them all.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by ck3D: 06 March 2021 - 10:23 AM

User is offline   Merlijn 

Again a lot of really cool stuff in this thread! I guess that's the only silver lining of these lockdowns.

Here's a few more shots of SG4, progress is going nice and steady (I'll never be as fast as ck3d though ;) ).

1. Some more sector based shading, this is a storage room for instruments and equipment in The Kompleks.
2. The underground slime river from a different angle
3. What's behind that corner??

Attached Image: duke0164.png Attached Image: duke0163.png Attached Image: duke0160.png

User is offline   ck3D 

^ Looking stellar, especially screen 2 with that incredibly credible use of sloped sectors for environmental design and debris, playing with the perspectives is also a thing I really liked about your stylistic direction in SG3 (of course not even bringing up the settings for the last fight in that map), it's cool seeing you develop that approach even for what could be regarded as detail. Shading and color tones everywhere are exquisite, first screen is funny to me because it's very similar to one room in Happy Hangover which has the exact same perspective with the layout, light source and type of texturing (the basement with IIRC a washing machine, just before you reach the party).

And about speed don't worry about it, I'm paying the price for devoting so much time to mapping a few months back right now with tons of work to deal with that's slowly been picking up, haha. Duke PC has been off for too long which sucks because I have maps to work on, check out, play and beta test.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 08 March 2021 - 12:43 PM

^thanks! Yeah, there's a lot of verticality and slopes in this map, as the player has to travel deeper and deeper underground. I think (hope) it will be a quite unique and immersive experience once it's finished. And funny you mention those similarities, it wasn't my intention but I noticed it as well once the room was done. Must have happened subconsciously haha.

User is offline   Aleks 

Great shots, Merlijn! Love the atmosphere and texture choices there, the shadows on 1st screen look wonderful (and resource hungry :( ), but my favourite one is the slime river once again, love how it's turning to be.

27 walls short of the limit here, so now it's just mostly "cutting is shipping". Not much had to be cut really, but I did reduce some details here and there to have enough walls for everything. There's still some areas and rooms that need some polishing, like aligning textures and adding shadows. Hopefully I'll get it ready for testing next week. Here's a little screen with some play with lights and shadows:
Attached Image: duke0013.png

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

[ROOM]

I have no idea why I find that funny. Looks good, though.

User is offline   11bush 

I started messing around with a way over powered shotgun.

View PostAleks, on 11 March 2021 - 05:44 AM, said:

Great shots, Merlijn! Love the atmosphere and texture choices there, the shadows on 1st screen look wonderful (and resource hungry :( ), but my favourite one is the slime river once again, love how it's turning to be.

27 walls short of the limit here, so now it's just mostly "cutting is shipping". Not much had to be cut really, but I did reduce some details here and there to have enough walls for everything. There's still some areas and rooms that need some polishing, like aligning textures and adding shadows. Hopefully I'll get it ready for testing next week. Here's a little screen with some play with lights and shadows:

Thanks Aleks! The shadows aren't that resource hungry, they're basically 3 or 4 layers of triangle shaped sectors. It doesn't eat that much walls.
The Kompleks and everything surrounding the slime river are 100% done now and I still got about 6000 walls left. Should be more than enough for the final areas.

Great to hear you're almost done with your map, shot looks good as always! And looks like it's going to be less 'cramped' than your previous maps. :)

User is offline   jimbob 

what have i been working on? nazis! going to be loads of fun blasting them to bits :)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0002.png
  • Attached Image: duke0018.png
  • Attached Image: duke0012.png
  • Attached Image: duke0000.png

This post has been edited by jimbob: 14 March 2021 - 07:10 AM

User is offline   jimbob 

working on the bossfight map, if thats done i need to finish the chateau, make one more map and episode 1 is done.

im considering expending my team to work on episode 2, 3 and more, its beginning to become too much for just one guy :P

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0026.png
  • Attached Image: duke0024.png
  • Attached Image: duke0023.png

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options