Duke4.net Forums: OPL3 Output Volume is not respected for certain MIDI tracks - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OPL3 Output Volume is not respected for certain MIDI tracks

Certain MIDI tracks are always set to play at full volume when played through the OPL3 emulator on playback start, while others play at the correct volume.
In the attachment, you can find two different MIDI files, one of which exhibits the problem, the other of which does not.

To reproduce, extract and rename "dethtoll_broken.mid" to "dethtoll.mid", set your output to OPL Emulator, set the music volume to 50%, and launch a usermap. The music will play at full volume.
Then go into the volume settings and shift the volume slider up. Instead of increasing, the volume will decrease and correct itself temporarily. It will reset to full volume every time playback restarts.
This problem does not occur with Windows MME, and it also does not occur with the included "dethtoll_correct.midi" file.

This also prominently occurs with Nuclear Winter's MIDI music, so I suspect it's some peculiarity with these specific files that causes this.

Edit: Okay, this happens on every loop of the midi, which is rather annoying for short tracks.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 25 December 2019 - 12:32 PM

Found another MIDI file that freezes the game when played with OPL3 emulation, see attachment:

Attached File  crashtoll.zip (12.02K)
Number of downloads: 230

Well, I'm just gonna post all OPL3 issues in this thread instead of making a new thread for every single one.
Found another MIDI that acts differently when played with OPL3. This one is from Jimmy's DukeDC soundtrack.

Attached File  stuck_note.zip (1.7K)
Number of downloads: 223

At the very end of the midi, just before it loops, one of the notes that plays gets "stuck" with OPL3 emulation on, i.e. it keeps playing indefinitely, which gets rather hard on the ears.
To be honest, I'm not sure if this is an error with the midi file itself, but it does not occur when played using WindowsMME, or in Windows Media Player directly.

First issue is fixed as of r9058, the latter two are still present.

Will repost at voidpoint.io.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options