Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 takes longer to load - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 takes longer to load

User is offline   Darkus 

In the latest versions (r8360), EDuke32 takes much longer time before getting into the game. It also affects mapster and recent nblood versions.

On the setup screen, when I click 'start', it takes about 15-20 seconds (10 seconds with vsync off) with a white screen before the animated nuke logo appear. I don't know if this related to my computer, but when I use previous versions like 8043, I don't have this problem.

Here's the log, used with a fresh install (no mods):
https://pastebin.com/W0sJpGHs

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I've noted this as well as far back as r7138.

User is offline   Darkus 

I don't think my 3D card is the problem, since I don't have any major graphic issues, except occasional stuttering in full screen, both software/openGL modes (the FPS counter shows 60.0 in opengl and 59.9 in software). For my case, the long loading occurs in both software/opengl modes. I think there's something in EDuke that is broke with some computers configuration.

User is offline   Darkus 

I think I found something, I noticed this:

Focus change: Restored fr-FR keyboard layout
Focus change: Loaded en-US keyboard layout

When I manually change the focus (alt-tab or other means), the program freezes for some seconds, or even a dozen of seconds for changing the keyboard layout. I think this is related when EDuke starts, the program changes focus as well the keyboard layout uselessly, which is wasting time. I'll try to change some settings to see if that's the problem.

EDIT: Found it! I changed my keyboard layout to eng-US and it fixed my problem: when EDuke starts, it's instantaneous. It even fixed mapster and nblood. So it was really related, since it does not change the keyboard layout anymore.

This post has been edited by Darkus: 07 December 2019 - 12:58 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDarkus, on 07 December 2019 - 12:41 PM, said:

I think I found something, I noticed this:

When I manually change the focus (alt-tab or other means), the program freezes for some seconds, or even a dozen of seconds for changing the keyboard layout. I think this is related when EDuke starts, the program changes focus as well the keyboard layout uselessly, which is wasting time. I'll try to change some settings to see if that's the problem.

I originally implemented the keyboard layout switching during focus gain and loss (as opposed to just on program start and quit) in r5972, but I disabled it due to the freeze you mentioned r6708. r8174 improperly re-enabled it during a refactor, and I have a commit staged to disable it again.

View PostDarkus, on 07 December 2019 - 12:41 PM, said:

EDIT: Found it! I changed my keyboard layout to eng-US and it fixed my problem: when EDuke starts, it's instantaneous. It even fixed mapster and nblood. So it was really related, since it does not change the keyboard layout anymore.

Good to know. Eliminating the layout switching entirely is on my list.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Committed a fix that should help with the keyboard layout switching slowdown on focus changes.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I did some testing and found that everything seems to Just Work if I remove the layout switching entirely, so I committed that as r8421. If there are issues we can revert it.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

There were issues so I reverted it.

User is offline   Darkus 

Sorry for the late reply, just to say it work better with newer versions, it takes at random 0-5 seconds to start. Same thing for mapster and the latest nblood version.

User is online   Phredreeke 

Could there as a compromise be a command line parameter to disable layout switching? :lol:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options