Duke4.net Forums: eDuke32 using multiple directories for game data if autoload folder is checked - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

eDuke32 using multiple directories for game data if autoload folder is checked

User is offline   3D Master 

So I have a nasty problem that is a serious issue with eDuke32 itself that makes no sense what so ever.

I have multiple Duke directories and multiple instances of eDuke32, including the Steam install of World Tour.

Now, if I start eDuke32 from the World Tour directory regardless of my options, regardless of checking the autoload folder option there is no issue, eduke32 runs just fine. If I run eDuke32 from another directory with the autoload folder unchecked there is no issue.

However, if I start eDuke32 from any other directory than the World Tour directory with the autoload folder checked, eDuke32 decides to use two game data directories (see attacked log file, third and fourth line), the directory from which I started eDuke32 (line 4) and the World Tour directory (line 3). Basically, eDuke32 seems to be trying to run two installs of Duke at the same time if you check the autoload folder outside of the World Tour folder. What is in the autoload folder is irrelevant, indeed, the attached log file is generated with the autoload folder in the directory from which I started eDuke32 (line 4) empty. (The the files loaded from the autoload folder little further down the log file, are in the autoload folder in the World Tour directory.)

Running eDuke32 like this won't even make it get into the game, it just says "Error compiling CON files" (the ones in the World Tour directory) because running two separate installs of Duke at the same time produces conflicts.

I have no idea why eDuke32 would do this to begin with at all, in any shape or form. You would think that 20 year old game, with multiple expansions, and multiple HRP packs for those expansions, and multiple TCs which usually come with the version of eDuke32 it is built on/for, you would want to avoid any global settings, so they can all be run concurrent from each specific directory you installed it. I understand even less why this functionality gets turned on or off by enabling or disabling the autoload folder. What does the autoload folder have to do with lokking for a global setting and loading two installs of Duke in separate directories even drives at the same time; I don't get it.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Phredreeke 

That's because eduke32 scans for duke nukem 3d installs when you launch it and adds those folders when loading files. you can use the -usecwd parameter when launching eduke32 to prevent that behavior (but then you need to have duke3d.grp present in the same folder)

User is offline   3D Master 

View PostPhredreeke, on 04 December 2019 - 05:40 PM, said:

That's because eduke32 scans for duke nukem 3d installs when you launch it and adds those folders when loading files. you can use the -usecwd parameter when launching eduke32 to prevent that behavior (but then you need to have duke3d.grp present in the same folder)

Thatnks.

Why does it do this though? Of course the directory is going to have duke3d.grp in it, that's the prerequisite given in any installation instructions.

The only way I can see this functionality making sense, is if eDuke32 becomes a GUI driven game engine, that looks for every instance of Duke, and possibly other Build games, it generates a base game start for each game, and you can manually create others with different startup options, and mods. But in this instance you have no need for an autoload folder, because you wouldn't even need to put anything in the game directory itself, it would even be better space usage wise, to keep just one install of any point, and just select it whenever needed. So why does this only activate when you turn on the autoload folder.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Why does it make sandwhiches?

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View Post3D Master, on 07 December 2019 - 07:36 AM, said:

Why does it do this though? Of course the directory is going to have duke3d.grp in it, that's the prerequisite given in any installation instructions.

EDuke32 only needs Duke3D.grp present in the same directory if it can't detect any Steam/GOG install of the game.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options