• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is the Duke IP dead?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

That's not entirely true. Some people do it on purpose. Some people do it by accident. There's no way to smoke without getting some amount of smoke in your lungs anyway. Cigars can still be a significant risk for emphysema, cancers, and other smoking related problems.

Source: 9 years of cigar smoking and cigar comraderie

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostTrooper Dan, on 17 March 2020 - 11:04 AM, said:

Also now he has one of those 3 second sprint meters...

Because after smoking all those cigars and coronavirus, his lungs aren't what they used to be.

Reminder that Duke testicles must be of the size of peanuts because of the steroids

User is offline   gemeaux333 

"I've got balls balls balls balls of steel !" dixit the Terminator in The Doctor Who Cloned Me

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 17 March 2020 - 10:27 PM

View PostNorthrawn, on 08 March 2020 - 04:05 AM, said:

But ... will I be able to grab poop?

View Postgemeaux333, on 17 March 2020 - 10:24 PM, said:

"I've got balls balls balls balls of steel !" dixit the Terminator in The Doctor Who Cloned Me

I keep hearing "pause" but i don't wanna.

So true : https://twitter.com/...538265606586373

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Hahahahahahahahahahahah no

Another one : https://twitter.com/...299559968661504

User is offline   Sanek 

View Postgemeaux333, on 27 March 2020 - 10:16 AM, said:

Reported already

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

That's one cringey tweet from 3D Realms.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Duke Nukem
RIP

This post has been edited by gerolf: 28 March 2020 - 12:20 AM

Would you guys accept a new Gearbox DN game if it had the kind of gameplay and level design you've all been wishing for at the cost of Duke's character being completely butchered?

On one hand, gameplay matters most. On the other hand, it's Duke.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostPikaCommando, on 30 March 2020 - 12:28 AM, said:

Would you guys accept a new Gearbox DN game if it had the kind of gameplay and level design you've all been wishing for at the cost of Duke's character being completely butchered?

For me it wouldn't matter, because I refuse to buy a Gearbox product ever again. A:CM, DNF, and DN WT were enough for me.

User is offline   Steve 64 

I will only play a Duke Nukem game if it is not made by gearbox and made by someone that cares like 3DRealms for example.

3DRealms with Frederik Schreiber ?

Depends on what butchered means. Right now, I'd say the character is butchered. But if you mean toning down sex and 'babes' due to the current social climate, I wouldn't care. I think it worked for Duke 64.

View Postgemeaux333, on 30 March 2020 - 09:04 AM, said:

3DRealms with Frederik Schreiber ?

Yes He and his team know how to make a good game and I'm sure they can pull it off .

• Judge Mental

View PostDuke Legacy, on 30 March 2020 - 05:40 PM, said:

Yes He and his team know how to make a good game and I'm sure they can pull it off .

Fred doesn't know dick. They had to get him away from Bombshell and Ion Fury because he was making really stupid decisions.

Voidpoint, Killpixel, Flying Wild Hog, New Blood Interactive, even Night Dive Studios... They would know.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Duke's personality and the humour that goes with it is a huge part of the gameplay of a Duke game. You could create a new shooter with 90's elements of good level design etc. etc. But it wouldn't be a Duke game without Duke. Especially if that meant having a roided-up blonde hard-ass called Duke Nukem who looked exactly like Duke Nukem but didn't behave the same way. Hell no to any kind of zombie-Duke game. Fuck that.

I've said this a bazzillion times. Doom, Wolfenstein and Shadow Warrior have all proven that if you hire quality writers, Duke can be brought into the modern day world and 'work'. And by work, I do NOT mean emasculating him!

Do I think that Gearbox can do this? No. I do not. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't think that there is either the will, the ability or the love to do it properly there. Sell the IP to someone who can get Duke back into action.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 30 March 2020 - 10:53 PM, said:

Fred doesn't know dick. They had to get him away from Bombshell and Ion Fury because he was making really stupid decisions.

Voidpoint, Killpixel, Flying Wild Hog, New Blood Interactive, even Night Dive Studios... They would know.

I do agree with you on those, by the way what did Fred do?.

• Judge Mental

View PostDuke Legacy, on 31 March 2020 - 05:02 AM, said:

I do agree with you on those, by the way what did Fred do?.

I've heard a few things from people who were close to the development, and his way of thinking about game design is.... shallow. Very shallow.

You know how Bombshell's first teaser basically just had Duke Nukem Reloaded shit dumped into it?

Think about that, and just imagine, that's the game.

It took Scott Miller and others stepping in to course correct Bombshell into the sorta good/mediocre experience that it ended up as.

So we all agree that Frederick Schreiber have a scarecrow effect inside of 3DRealms and especially toward the Duke IP ?

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View Posthismasterplan, on 30 March 2020 - 02:18 PM, said:

Depends on what butchered means. Right now, I'd say the character is butchered. But if you mean toning down sex and 'babes' due to the current social climate, I wouldn't care. I think it worked for Duke 64.

Agreed. DNF butchered the character more than any "toning down the babes" Duke game could.

As for me, Duke's personality was just cherry on top. I can live without the babes but I absolutely demand well designed combat (having well made+diverse weapons and solid monster roster), good level design (with great layout and aesthetics) and great interactvity.

Of course this does not mean I am in favor of emasculating Duke. I just care less about it less than other features of a game.

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 31 March 2020 - 10:25 AM

I do remember Teaser and Trailer for bombshell being shitty I do remember that, if that was Duke Nukem game and if it was that terrible I wouldn't play it just like I don't play DNF I hate what they did with Duke in that game.

as for Fred and them I don't work there so I wouldn't know if he is Shallow and it hard for me to trust people nowadays.

User is offline   Fox 

View Posthismasterplan, on 30 March 2020 - 02:18 PM, said:

Or, you know, have that stuff? Didn't stopped GTA from selling.

Of course it probably won't come from Gearbox.

View PostFox, on 31 March 2020 - 02:00 PM, said:

Or, you know, have that stuff? Didn't stopped GTA from selling.

Of course it probably won't come from Gearbox.

True. GTA has crossed my mind on this subject before as well. The thing is, GTA is allowed to get away with it and Duke isn't. Probably because GTA is a tremendous cash cow and the sex angle is overlooked for that reason. DNF, on the other hand, decided to make the sex themes the defining factor of the game and his character, to the point where it couldn't be ignored by the player or news outlets. Perhaps if handled better, Duke could have walked away unscathed.

Also, I've seen a few comments on articles about Duke on the web from a lot of casual players who only played Duke 3D once was a kid. They always seem to bring up the strip club in the Red Light District level but seem to neglect any other memory of the game. I think this reason combined with DNF's direction gave Duke a bad reputation. I can't prove that, but it's just a theory.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Probably because if you were 12 or so, and you didn't know your way around the fledgling internet, having boobs in your game was pretty damn awesome.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 31 March 2020 - 03:18 PM

User is offline   Mark 

It still is. ;)

User is offline   Fox 

View Posthismasterplan, on 31 March 2020 - 03:14 PM, said:

True. GTA has crossed my mind on this subject before as well. The thing is, GTA is allowed to get away with it and Duke isn't. Probably because GTA is a tremendous cash cow and the sex angle is overlooked for that reason. DNF, on the other hand, decided to make the sex themes the defining factor of the game and his character, to the point where it couldn't be ignored by the player or news outlets. Perhaps if handled better, Duke could have walked away unscathed.

Honestly, with political correctness you draw a target on your own back.

Why aren't SJWs crying non-stop about GTA, and games like that? Because they are ignored.

• Judge Mental

View PostMark, on 01 April 2020 - 04:50 AM, said:

It still is. ;)

Indeed. The big problem was the balance. The overly self-indulgent pervese nature of the content in later Duke games.

A strip club here, some sexy posters there... Yeah. But every five seconds bumping into a naked chick, or a poster or a dildo or some stupid lowest brow dick joke... No. It's a seasoning. You don't make a steak out of pepper and beef jerky.

I've said it before, i'll say it again. Duke Nukem's next outing needs to take the action-hero persona and run with it in the gamplay mechanics. Duke is known for interactivity and destructive environments. Take that. Imagine Bulletstorm's skill-kill system with Half-Life 2 type physics, and combine that with Duke's destructive tenancies. Blowing the world apart, taking advantage of the scenery, utilizing props and objects in the world to gank the enemies. Pulling a Commando and using a pipe on a pig cop "Now that's what I call a steamed ham!"

Imagine the ego system wasn't just about health recovery, but also about a system of killing the enemies in creative ways, rewarded with more ego for doing more crazy and elaborate things. Sure, you can blow their head off with a shotgun. That'll getcha five points, but what if you blast a fire hydrant which shoots a jet-stream into the air, which causes an alien to get blown up into a power line and electrocuted? 70 points! DNF and Sam had half-baked glory kill type mechanics, I say be completely shameless, steal Doom's GK style, and give Duke a Badass Action system. Make Duke's mighty boot and fists work some magic on alien skulls. Why not? Bring back My Digs, too. The Slayer has his Castle, let Duke have his Duke Cave.

And keeping with what was going to be the Batman riffed titles for Duke games, call the next one Duke Nukem Triumphant.

I was replaying Doom Eternal's first level last night and I couldn't help but think about what a next-gen Neo Los Angeles would look like in this era, with these ideas in play.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options