Duke4.net Forums: Control: Remedy's latest game - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Control: Remedy's latest game

I'm surprised nobody has ever mentioned it since E3 2018. I had originally made a post in that thread where I called it out as being a self-ripoff of Quantum Break: well, I'm glad that I was wrong. Remedy has delivered once again, and Control is a damn fine experience.

The game had been originally hyped as an experience which let the players create their own story inside an infinite procedurally generated environment. That expectation was fortunately NOT met, otherwise it would've been a very bleak game, where every environment and fight is interchangeable and nothing you do really matters.
Instead, there is a main storyline, plus many other optional missions which reward you with more powers to use and a sense of discovery that never ends. The game is so full of lore and creepy surreal environments, NOT procedurally generated, but skilfully written by Sam Lake and turned into beautiful levels by the level designers.

Also, a shared Remedyverse is now officially a thing: this time, references to other games are not limited to cameos: there are in-game documents narrating the events of Alan Wake from the point of view of the Federal Bureau of Control, the organization you work for in the game, and an Alan Wake-based DLC has already been announced. BRAVO REMEDY!

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Its really good and is one of my favorite games this year. Once you have all the powers you feel really powerful. I would recommend this game to anyone and everyone.

Only a couple things really soured the experience.
The first is pretty small, but there was a lot of copy and paste. Once in a while its fine, but when 99% of every bathroom is the exact same thing (and I mean stuff even randomly placed toilet paper rolls are in the exact same place) or when there's a bunch of desks in a room and they all have the exact same props placed on top in the exact same order, it starts to feel very placeholder-y. I can kinda get over this by telling myself the whole building is fucked up so maybe the copy and paste is actually a paranormal thing, but I can't shake the feeling it was a bit 'lazy'.

The other issue is a big one for me. The checkpoint/saving system sucks. Some of those checkpoints are terrible, sometimes failing a boss means you have to run back through several rooms just to get back to that same boss fight to try again.
You also only have one 'profile'. This wasn't much of an issue in something like Alan Wake since your inventory just reset every single chapter anyways, but in Control you are always finding new gear and upgrades so your progress should be persistent.
Biggest problem I've had is that even though you can replay chapters, you lose whatever progress you made since you beat the last main boss. I had a couple side missions, upgrades, and hidden areas I hadn't completed yet, so whenever I play an earlier chapter and then try to go back to that endgame save, those same side missions, upgrades, and areas revert back to being incomplete. Makes me not want to replay the game because then I'll lose my progress and I've never seen anyone else mention this which I find odd.

I await the DLC, especially
Spoiler

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 05 December 2019 - 11:43 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options