Duke4.net Forums: Distorted custom sounds - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Distorted custom sounds

User is offline   MC84 

I generally don't have any issues adding custom sounds to eduke32 but occasionally I find that certain sounds are distorted/slowed down.. I don't believe that this is an issue with the scripting as I always define the custom sounds in the same manner;

define D_SLIDE3 465
definesound D_SLIDE3        filedir/SOUNDS/doorsounds/door_slide3.ogg            0   0   255  0   0     // sliding smooth door 3

I'm using audacity to process the sounds, and exporting them in .OGG format. Like I said, this generally always works fine, but sometimes I have distortion issues. Has anyone else come across a similar problem? Just to be clear the sound in question plays correctly through windows media player, so it's definitely being distorted via eduke32. I've also experimented with .WAV format, mono instead of stereo and lower quality .OGG files as well.

Not sure if it matters but I'm using a Music effector sprite to play the sound inside a sliding door sector.

Thanks

User is offline   Seb Luca 

Personally, I noticed that Eduke better digest mono sounds than stereos.
I have no problem using OGG 16-bit sounds; maybe yours are 32 bits files and that is badly managed by Eduke?

This post has been edited by Seb Luca: 11 November 2019 - 10:05 PM

User is offline   MC84 

View PostSeb Luca, on 11 November 2019 - 10:04 PM, said:

I have no problem using OGG 16-bit sounds; maybe yours are 32 bits files and that is badly managed by Eduke?

Bingo - you're correct. I changed the quality settings in audacity preferences to 16 bit and it seems to be working now. Thanks :o

User is offline   Seb Luca 

:o :D :P

User is offline   HELLMOUSE 

View PostSeb Luca, on 11 November 2019 - 10:04 PM, said:

I've noticed that too even with the .WAV sounds that I use. The stereo blips, but it does work well with volcano background sounds. Sometimes that blipness or muffling is necessary but in most cases stereo just does not work too well for environmental. With something resonating from something like volcanoes in the background it does work because in reality a sound generated from something that large echoing can appear to "blip" or "cut-out", depending what you are standing next to or your position relative to the sound and how the concussion from the eruption can appear to "distort" from your perspective. Volcanic ambiance is about the ONLY situation where a stereo sound should be used to create the proper effect.

I did not know we could use .ogg. I tried it and it worked, but I'm sticking to .wav for now because that is how I did all the other 100's of sounds. But I could not get the filedir/... stuff to work.

Thanks guys for the info and I'll keep that 16-bit .ogg fact in mind.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostHELLMOUSE, on 15 November 2019 - 04:20 PM, said:

Volcanic ambiance is about the ONLY situation where a stereo sound should be used to create the proper effect.

Not if you don't want your sound to break if/when this bug is fixed.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View Postconoklast, on 11 November 2019 - 11:29 PM, said:

Bingo - you're correct. I changed the quality settings in audacity preferences to 16 bit and it seems to be working now. Thanks :o

Which is really strange as OGG Vorbis doesn't have a native bitdepth

View PostHendricks266, on 15 November 2019 - 04:28 PM, said:

Not if you don't want your sound to break if/when this bug is fixed.

I'm not good with double negatives. I'm not completely sure what you mean.

Is there, or could there be, an issue with .WAVs as mono versus Stereo?

I only have 5 Stereo sounds. Should I convert all the others to Stereo also?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Don't use a bug in the audio playback to achieve an effect. It's not reliable or future-proof.

If stereo wavs are broken, avoid them entirely.

View PostHendricks266, on 15 November 2019 - 06:59 PM, said:

Don't use a bug in the audio playback to achieve an effect. It's not reliable or future-proof.

If stereo wavs are broken, avoid them entirely.

Ohhhh, I see. Thanks for the advice. I'll convert those stereo wavs to mono.

But I'm not sure how a stereo sound file will break in the game one day. There's nothing wrong with the file, it is just the playback that will/may be fixed one day to make stereo work better.

And I do understand what you mean. If the bug is fixed then those stereo sounds would sound different and not behave the same way.

So, NEVER MIND the volcano thing, use MONO for now.

Thanks Hendricks for the direction. :o

This post has been edited by HELLMOUSE: 15 November 2019 - 07:34 PM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Can confirm this issue goes back as far as r6428. I tried to set up Lee Jackson's Grabbag remaster from last year to play on the title screen, and the result was the audio had been slowed to the point where it was almost unrecognizable. Unsure if it's related to the 64-bit build or is present in the 32 as well. I don't recall having this problem on my old pc with my 6428 setup, but then again I might not have been using the right .ogg files (or I guess the wrong ones in this case?). I'm not sure. Either way I can confirm that at least the 64-bit version of this problem goes back as far as 6428, possibly further.

Here is what I use for sounds in Audacity:

Mono
Project Rate (Hz): 22050
Sample Rate: 16-bit PCM
Save as type (Export): Ogg Vorbis
Quality: 10

Here is how to make a stereo into two Mono tracks. In this example it is already a mono track.

Attached Image: Sounds0.png

Here is how to adjust the Project Rate (Hz) and Sample Rate (also called Sample Format in Preferences).
You will notice that there is a Rate under Format in the menu. DO NOT adjust the Rate underneath Format. Only adjust the Project Rate (Hz) in the menu on the lower left.

Attached Image: Sounds1.png

Here is how to Save as type or Export as Ogg Vorbis and set the desired Quality.

Attached Image: Export_as_OGG.png

Keeping your sound files as mono, 16-bit PCM is the safest thing to do.
Project Rate (Hz) and Quality can vary depending on what you want.
Ogg vs Wav, go with Ogg if you have a lot of sounds. Ogg Files are a very efficient format.

I've mentioned Preferences for Audacity. Here is how to change them.
Attached Image: Pref1.png

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options