• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dukeworld

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

http://www.duke4.net...omment.news.291

User is offline   Loke 

Any "Must Play!" TC's there? Looking for something to kill time.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostLoke, on Jun 12 2009, 06:32 PM, said:

Any "Must Play!" TC's there? Looking for something to kill time.

SST, The Gate, LR&WB (lastreaction), Pray Your Prayers, Fusion and Platoon.

• el fundador

So... who wants to help round up post-Dukeworld content to add? I'm thinking of running the "new" Dukeworld as kind of a file repository site, maybe with some kind of system where people can submit links to reviews of maps or TCs. Thoughts?

User is offline   mindcycle 

Awesome man. Used to host my TC there. :)

I visited that site daily for a long time.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Right now it doesn't look like there is much notable "lost" content, but we'll see in the coming days.

Cheers and good luck.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Nice to see you either re-created or dug up the old Dukeworld theme and put it on the downloads that have been sitting over at the eduke32 site.

If you're looking for more old stuff, you can compare and grab the different items founds at the old gamers.org

http://www.gamers.or...b/games/duke3d/

Off the top of my head, I think lameduke and 3dduke13 shareware are there.

Of course at higher levels in the directories you can get stuff for other games like sw, heretic, quake. etc.

http://www.gamers.org/pub/games/

or

http://www.gamers.org/pub/

This post has been edited by Forge: 12 June 2009 - 03:10 PM

• el fundador

LameDuke and the shareware are on the new Dukeworld too, they're just in another location. And yeah, this is pretty much a frontend for that directory full of shit I've had sitting around for a while. I did just get the original Dukeworld downloads section backup discs from 2001 however, so pretty soon I'll see if there's anything more on them that's interesting.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostTX, on Jun 12 2009, 06:13 PM, said:

... I did just get the original Dukeworld downloads section backup discs from 2001 however, so pretty soon I'll see if there's anything more on them that's interesting.

Now that would be interesting to pick through. There's alot of stuff that fell off the face of the earth like the Evil People TC and it would be pretty cool if you had things like that backed up. If the notion strikes you to make the backup available for download I'd definitely want to grab it and have a look.

I have thousands of maps and a ton of TCs I could probably make into a torrent or two and let you pick through if you want, but most everything I have can probably still be found on the net somewhere.

edit: If it isn't already your intent, it might be cool to take those archives and do something like, "On this day in history," type news post on the front page and make a link to a fax pas Dukeworld front page.

This post has been edited by Forge: 13 June 2009 - 05:23 AM

User is offline   Jarlaxle 

Cheers for this, I've now downloaded all the TCs that were missing from the '~150 Duke Nukem 3D Total Conversions' package that is available at this site (close to 300mbs worth). If anyone is interested in nabbing them all at once (close enough, anyway), I reuploaded them at both Rapidshare and Megaupload (links are interchangeable; so you need not have a premium account at either.) There are mostly TCs, but also the odd Text file or Patch that wasn't available in the Duke4.net package has been added, and renamed so when merged with that collection in one folder you'll know where they belong.

RapidShare - Missing Duke TCs Part 1
RapidShare - Missing Duke TCs Part 2
RapidShare - Missing Duke TCs Part 3

Megaupload - Missing Duke TCs Part 1
Megaupload - Missing Duke TCs Part 2
Megaupload - Missing Duke TCs Part 3

Megaupload - Missing Duke TCs Complete - About 280mbs.

Edit: You can find direct links to these files further below if you can't use Rapidshare/Megaupload.

Note: I've always got premium accounts at both of the above hosts, so you need not worry about the links ever expiring.

Thanks for the bloody awesome 150~ TC collection as well, by the way. The two packages now add up to over a gigabyte. Now, who wants to go through the Maps and find what are missing from the 5,147 package? >_< I'm assuming there'd be plenty missing ones at Dukeworld as well? I'm not quite that dedicated. :wink:

Edit: I also uploaded the whole file in just one part at MU as well because they have more generous limits and you should be able to get it in one hit without a premium account.

This post has been edited by Jarlaxle: 19 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

You paid for premium accounts at Megaupload and Rapeshare? :)

Have for a few years now. Makes life a hell of a lot easier if you download as much stuff as I do; and you can't be assed waiting around all the time or dealing with dodgy loopholes and all that. Although I've got my own host as well, but I don't tend to give out links publicly.

User is offline   supergoofy 

I prefer torrents. Slow, but reliable and free.

• el fundador

Added about 700 megs worth of stuff to Dukeworld today, in the 2001-current directory. More to come as I get to it!

Good stuff. I'll hold off then before downloading the rest of the missing TCs and reuploading them all in one set. I had a quick glance at all the Maps and I couldn't see any that were missing from the '5,147 Maps Pack'.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostJarlaxle, on Jun 14 2009, 04:53 AM, said:

... '5,147 Maps Pack'.

More like 2,500 map pak. It may have 5,147 files, but all the doubles and miscellaneous files reduces the actual number by half.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I think a tool called DupFinder will be extremely useful for you guys.

• el fundador

Everything on dukeworld has already been run through fdupes with the exception of anything within the classic dukeworld dir being left alone to preserve it.

User is offline   Sobek 

• There's coffee in that nebula!

View Postsupergoofy, on Jun 14 2009, 05:47 PM, said:

I prefer torrents. Slow, but reliable and free.

To each their own I suppose, but for Duke maps and mods, I would find torrents to be completely arbitrary and wastefull. A solid direct download system is perfect, not to mention old-school and extremely simple to use. Let's face it, not everyone in the Duke community is a bright star... Torrents are often just too darn complicated for most folk to use. If they can hop on a neat and tidy site like Dukeworld and just click a link to instantly download their desired map or such, I think it'll get the most positive results.

A torrent system would be great for the larger mods or massive compilations, but otherwise I just don't see the need.

• el fundador

View PostSobek, on Jun 15 2009, 09:12 PM, said:

To each their own I suppose, but for Duke maps and mods, I would find torrents to be completely arbitrary and wastefull. A solid direct download system is perfect, not to mention old-school and extremely simple to use. Let's face it, not everyone in the Duke community is a bright star... Torrents are often just too darn complicated for most folk to use. If they can hop on a neat and tidy site like Dukeworld and just click a link to instantly download their desired map or such, I think it'll get the most positive results.

Now this here is a man who gets it!

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I'd rather not use torrents, because my router/isp refuses to let port forwarding work.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostTX, on Jun 12 2009, 03:30 AM, said:

You should get authentic and use the old formats like the one found here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20000815065611/...oads/index.html

http://web.archive.org/web/20001214194900/...ps/mapnmS1.html

http://web.archive.org/web/19981203003836/....dukeworld.com/

or just browse through the wayback archives:

http://web.archive.o...w.dukeworld.com

Downloading small files one at a time is insanely annoying in this day and age, but I'm glad such is unnecessary where the Maps are concerned. It's considerate to cater to folk with dialup/slow internet, but the majority of people would be on faster speeds by now. Hand-picking just the odd file would seem redundant too, especially when there are thousands of maps. >_> I'd still rather download a full package in one sweep.

In any case I've finished sorting through the additional TCs that are missing from the Duke4.net package, along with about 12 small ones I found on an old CD of mine that I couldn't see anywhere else. The odd few duplicates are of no consequence, since if folk have the bandwidth to download large collections, such a waste won't matter at all. Some are even intentional, where offering both the .exe and zipped versions are concerned. I've got links for the second collection of missing TCs, along with a complete collection with all of them (500~mb) for those who don't have the other half yet. Since bandwidth is of no concern, I've also uploaded them to my site for the people who don't have Rapidshare/Megaupload or who are just too lazy to click an extra button or two. If you have a premium account though, there's no reason not to use them. I'm also in the process of offering mirror links to the Map and TC packages offered at this site, since the download speed was quite slow for me.

[Megaupload] - Extra Missing Duke TCs - The newest additions to the Dukeworld repository that are missing from the '150DukeMods' package are all here. ~ 242mb.

[Rapidshare] - Extra Missing Duke TCs Part One - Same as above, but split into two files. ~ 122mb.
[Rapidshare] - Extra Missing Duke TCs Part Two - ~ 120mb.
--------------------

Below you shall find direct links to these files, completely hassle-free, along with mirrors to the large Map and TC collections provided at this site. Unless your internet is capable of downloading large files in a matter of seconds, as always it's adviseable to use a Download Manager (ie. Getright/etc) so you can resume your download should your ISP disconnect on you, which can be bloody annoying and a waste of bandwidth.

[Direct Download] - ~150 Duke Nukem 3D Total Conversions - Mirror link of the package available here ~ 689mb.

[Direct Download] - Complete Dukeworld TC Collection - Contains all of the 'unique' TCs missing from the above package, downloaded from the Dukeworld archive. ~ 520mb.

[Direct Download] - Dukeworld TC Collection Part One - Same as above, but split into two packages for those who have a hard time downloading large files. ~ 278mb.

[Direct Download] - Dukeworld TC Collection Part Two - ~ 242mb.

[Direct Download] - 5,147 Duke3D Maps - Mirror link of the package available here ~ 511mb.

This post has been edited by Jarlaxle: 19 June 2009 - 09:43 PM

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostJarlaxle, on Jun 20 2009, 06:05 AM, said:

Downloading small files one at a time is insanely annoying in this day and age, but I'm glad such is unnecessary where the Maps are concerned. It's considerate to cater to folk with dialup/slow internet, but the majority of people would be on faster speeds by now. Hand-picking just the odd file would seem redundant too, especially when there are thousands of maps. >_> I'd still rather download a full package in one sweep.

Having to download a huge package when all you want is a few small files is insanely annoying.

User is offline   supergoofy 

These packs are for those that want an all-in-one solution and have the bandwidth to download big files.

Else the places where you can download the TCs/maps individually are already described in the forum:
http://www.duke4.net/
http://dukeworld.duke4.net/
http://dukenukem3dtc.tripod.com/
http://www.dukerepository.com/

So, necroslut, your comment is not necessary and you do not offer something positive with negative behavior.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postsupergoofy, on Jun 20 2009, 07:20 AM, said:

So, necroslut, your comment is not necessary and you do not offer something positive with negative behavior.

Lol.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

A sensible solution to both problems would be the Download Them All plugin for Firefox. Assumming all map file links on the site could be displayed at once.

User is offline   Sobek 

• There's coffee in that nebula!

View PostJarlaxle, on Jun 20 2009, 02:35 PM, said:

And, out of curiosity, what happens when a handfull of smaller mods or maps are released that aren't included in the big compilation? Is someone expected to constantly maintain, update and inform everyone about changes to the collection (and/or forcing them to re-download it)? Or are they to be placed individually for download alongside the big compilation - essentially defeating the purpose of an all-encompassing compilation anyway. I still cannot see any reason to disagree with the setup as it is now. Maybe get a bit more detailed on categories, utilise date or size sorting methods (make it a little more robust basically) and as mentioned, even consider a tool like DownThemAll if you really must have everything on there at once.

For a big compilation, I think that should be left up to someone from the community to do on their own time, in their own way. It would be a lot of hassle trying to have big collections of maps and mods and maintain them side-by-side with a site like Dukeworld, making sure there aren't lots of duplicates or outdated / incomplete mods on one or the other.

That's a great collection of links you've provided. If they can be managed to always stay available, and if they can be checked against what goes on Dukeworld so as to be sure that people don't end up getting lots of duplicates or varying versions appearing on the site, we could have a winner.

This post has been edited by Sobek: 25 June 2009 - 04:58 PM

Seems all of the pages on my site are forbidden apart from the main page. :s

• el fundador

View PostWilliam Gee, on Jul 6 2009, 03:09 AM, said:

Seems all of the pages on my site are forbidden apart from the main page. :s

?

Every page on your site loads fine here!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options