Duke4.net Forums: Survival horror corner - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Survival horror corner

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Guess having this topic might be useful.

Here's this great little thing that's actually more valuable than it might seem at first glance:
https://www.reshdp.com/re3/

These are fanmade remasters for the GameCube versions of Resident Evil 2 and 3. They have the nowadays usual stuff (character models and backgrounds upscaled with neural upscaling combined with other methods where necessary) and overall they look really nice.

The more interesting thing though is that you also get a modified and pre-configured version of the Dolphin emulator. That's great because regular Dolphin has some issues with running the games correctly these days so essentially you get accurate emulation for arguably the best ports of these classics along with the updated graphics (and you can turn that off if you only want the original games).

The PC port of Silent Hill 2 also received a nice facelift thanks to fans improving the port and fixing its compatibility issues, that's great stuff too:
http://www.enhanced....nthill.com/SH2/

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 31 October 2019 - 03:56 PM

I figured this year I'd finally get around to playing Alone in the Dark. Its nice. The 3D is quite badly dated, a shock, but some of it has aged better than the rest. The female player model looks really bad, but most of the monsters and objects aren't garish to look at. The backgrounds are drawn 2D, which was a nice surprise. Its also very adventure gamey. Not in the sense that most survival horror games have a bit of adventure gaming in them. I mean in the sense that it's an adventure game with some combat thrown on top. It might have been a while since I've played one of these tank controlled games, but I also felt the combat was a bit poor. Difficult to aim and hit the monsters. It also has a really strange running system, you have to hold down the up key, then release and hold it again to run. Its more difficult than it sounds.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Running is a pain in Alone 1, yeah, but the weird thing is that it's buggy actually. It's not supposed to work the way you're describing it, you should be able to just tap forward and then instantly tap and hold it to run. It has to do something with your CPU speed so guess you could experiment with changing the CPU cycles in DOSBox. It could be worse though: back in the day when I first played the game on my DOS PC my CPU was already too fast for the game so running simply didn't work at all 90% of the time. :o

What about the 3DO version of AITD 93? is it any good?

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Afaik that's just the PC version ported over so I don't think it's worth to play it instead of the DOS original (and the GOG version is fine in terms of running, at least it was the last time I played it). Maybe the Mac port is better than the DOS version but I've never played that one either (it's a bit higher res but not the background art itself sadly).

The games have a bunch of different versions though, for example Alone 3 has a Windows 95 port and that was the first one I've played back in the day. It doesn't work on modern OSes anymore but it always fascinated me how some developers made Windows ports to DOS games. :o Alone 3 is great though, I think it's a true underrated classic unlike the second one which is just shit.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Alone 2 had one great moment for me which I still remember, though. At one point you reach a door in the mansion that makes you fall down a cliff abruptly if you step through, forcing you to reload the game. I was attacked by monsters in the room with that door and managed to kick them back so they went through the open door, falling down the cliff. Remarkably, the game played the same cutscene as if it had been yourself falling - with the difference that you could keep playing afterwards. I thought it was remarkable the devs thought of things like that.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 03 November 2019 - 10:55 AM

Yeah, fiddling around with the settings made running slightly less annoying.
I finished it today and I have to say that...
Spoiler

I like it, but AitD 2 has to do a lot of stuff very badly to make the game worse. If its just crummy combat and a crummy story I don't think I'll get the complaints.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostZaxx, on 31 October 2019 - 03:54 PM, said:

The PC port of Silent Hill 2 also received a nice facelift thanks to fans improving the port and fixing its compatibility issues, that's great stuff too:
http://www.enhanced....nthill.com/SH2/

This project is about to receive a big update that restores the better shadows found in the PS2 version and the missing effects (reflections, Depth of field etc) that were toned down in the PC release.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Wow, that looks nice though I played the game on PC for the first time so I kinda have a nostalgic connection with the sharper (and less realistic / less detailed) shadows and somewhat brighter lighting brought over from the Xbox version.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 30 December 2019 - 01:45 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Update for SH2 PC is live!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options