Duke4.net Forums: Is the Blinky Quake mod possible to bring over to eDuke32? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is the Blinky Quake mod possible to bring over to eDuke32?

Essentially, it's a fish eye lens for Quake that allows it to seamlessly be in 360 degrees. The reason it interests me is I managed to get captured footage of it converted into a Panoramic video by just adding metadata. Apart from the extreme top/bottom caving in, it's pretty much perfect all the way around. It seems to use lua scripts, I'm curious if porting it to eDuke32 is possible.

https://github.com/shaunlebron/blinky

User is offline   RPD Guy 

Well, Eduke's polymost/polymer are built with OpenGL, maybe you can use an OpenGL injection. Maybe.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I'm not a programmer, but considering they were just able to implement classic style y shearing in polymost, I imagine it's fully possible. Getting someone to program it though is something else.

An OpenGL hack might be your best bet.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostSpitfire, on 15 October 2019 - 04:57 AM, said:

they were just able to implement classic style y shearing in polymost,

What do you mean?

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

R_YSHEARING 1, my friend.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It's certainly interesting, although I'm finding it fairly buggy atm. Maybe it won't be as easy as you thought. This scene has no TROR or anything special.

Standard polymost:
Posted Image

Polymost with classic y shearing:
Posted Image

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I really wish they would talk about these things more on the forum. So much information is posted on the Discord that is effectively lost at the end of the day.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The lack of documentation hurts the viability of the engine more than most people think.

User is offline   RPD Guy 

View PostMicky C, on 15 October 2019 - 02:26 PM, said:

It's certainly interesting, although I'm finding it fairly buggy atm. Maybe it won't be as easy as you thought. This scene has no TROR or anything special.

Standard polymost:
Posted Image

Polymost with classic y shearing:
Posted Image

Well, I know we are not talking about this, but these pics are from which TC?

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

That is level 1 in AMC TC my man.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMetroidJunkie, on 13 October 2019 - 06:58 AM, said:

Essentially, it's a fish eye lens for Quake that allows it to seamlessly be in 360 degrees. The reason it interests me is I managed to get captured footage of it converted into a Panoramic video by just adding metadata. Apart from the extreme top/bottom caving in, it's pretty much perfect all the way around. It seems to use lua scripts, I'm curious if porting it to eDuke32 is possible.

This should be possible with Polymer. It would not work with Polymost because the rendering algorithm does not even consider geometry behind the player, which is why you get a hall of mirrors at the very top and bottom of the mouselook range. If something is done to address that it might work.

View PostMicky C, on 15 October 2019 - 02:26 PM, said:

It's certainly interesting, although I'm finding it fairly buggy atm.

Thanks for the report. Nuke found the problem, it was an oversight in the NPOT sky drawing code (r8076).

View PostMetroidJunkie, on 13 October 2019 - 06:58 AM, said:

I've known of Blinky for a while. This mod tries to render six standard rectilinear projections to make a cube and then transform them into required projection. The point is that one needs to render straight down and straight up views too. Neither classic Build nor Polymost can do this, maybe Polymer could do the feat. A smart way to do in Polymost is to rotate viewing cube so that its vertices meet zenith and nadir points (instead of facets), but it won't resolve HOM completely and would have other limitations. Also, Blinky is rather experimental, and I'd also advise to move from Lua to native C and optimize things a lot. Now, somebody has to interface this with Build engine and perhaps add into EDuke32 as a special mode.

This post has been edited by Jan Satcitananda: 17 October 2019 - 09:04 AM

View PostJim Rockford, on 15 October 2019 - 06:12 PM, said:

The lack of documentation hurts the viability of the engine more than most people think.

I know what you mean, I wanted to mod Duke 3D at one point, but finding any documentation beyond just map editing is an exercise in futility.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

There's some really good CON FAQs and tutorials but they don't even touch EDuke32.

Granted, if you can't code a basic actor or an enemy in 1.4 CON then EDuke32's increased capabilities won't help you really.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options