Duke4.net Forums: Jace Hall covers DNF... again? - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jace Hall covers DNF... again?

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostSyntaxN, on Jun 11 2009, 03:29 PM, said:

We have never ever seen any of it, i think it´s also possible that they kinda dropped this concept when they said "we will finally ship this thing".

I highly doubt that. Interactivity was the main thing in the game. Dropping this would have been like dropping slo-mo from Max Payne 2.

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostSyntaxN, on Jun 11 2009, 01:29 PM, said:

We have never ever seen any of it, i think it´s also possible that they kinda dropped this concept when they said "we will finally ship this thing".

I'd say it's more than a possibility.

Scott Miller in 2007:

First, we fully admit we’re screwed up the development of DNF, and it’s now an industry joke. I laugh (and cry) when I think about it, too. Our fault is that we set the bar too high, and we tried too hard to make the game to beat all games. In the last 18 months we’ve taken a much more realistic look at the project, we’ve hired a truckload of experienced help, and I personally believe we are now on the right track…finally.

http://www.yougamers.com/articles/1820_sco..._be_king-page4/

If I run this through my naysayer translator, I come up with "get out the standard gaming industry cookbook, browse through to the "FPS" chapter, mix in some Duke-isms, stir the pot and voilá - DNF à la carte!".

User is offline   crunchysuperman 

• Honored Donor

View PostX-Vector, on Jun 11 2009, 07:55 AM, said:

If I run this through my naysayer translator, I come up with "get out the standard gaming industry cookbook, browse through to the "FPS" chapter, skip down to the dumbed-down console bastardization section, mix in some Duke-isms, stir the pot and voilá - DNF à la carte!".

:) Had to put my knee-jerk console hate fix in there for ya.

User is offline   ShXIII 

I for one wasn't impressed with the footage

User is offline   Raziel 

I haven't seen the footage myself, but I look at it this way... We don't know exactly how much 3DR wanted us to see at that point in time, they knew this footage would go public, so perhaps they wanted to leave the best for their own official trailer when the time was right. Also, I would assume there would be areas that are more interactive and other areas that would be more like a traditional point and shoot FPS. Perhaps they just chose one of the more traditional sections as the first thing to show the world. Also keep in mind that the footage of that video is quite old so I think it may not be a good representation of the game since they'd aim to get the basic game working before adding the extras. In other words, what is more important to you as a developer? Having a game you can play all the way through and clock, or have a computer terminal in one level that you can tinker with... Chances are, you'd probably want to finish all the basics (boss fights included) before worrying about the little details.

And lets face it, even if the game ships with almost no interactivity other than basic switches (which we've seen are functional in the leaked video) and combination locks like the original Duke3D, people would still buy and play it and it would still be a fun game. Interactivity is like the icing in the middle of a cake, sure, having it there is nice, but I buy the cake for the icing on top and the rest of it, if it happens to have icing in the middle as well, that's a bonus.

Finally, I think people are setting their expectations too high, the game will not be the greatest game in history, people can expect it to be better than Duke3D and still be very fun. However, at the end of the day, it isn't as if they've really spent 12 years working on improving the same game. With this last restart they basically spent the same amount of time any other studio would normally spend on a game but with a relatively small team (on a somewhat related note, Assassin's Creed 2 has 450 people working on it, that makes 3DR's 30 developers seem like nothing huh?). Am I saying the game would be bad? No, I'm just saying that people should lower their expectations to a more realistic level.

This post has been edited by Raziel: 11 June 2009 - 11:22 PM

User is offline   crunchysuperman 

• Honored Donor

^ Sorry, but if it ain't insanely interactive compared to the rest of the shooter world, it ain't Duke.

User is offline   ShXIII 

I'm not sure if your responding to me or someone else but I understand that's it a work in progress video and yeah they didn't really show anything special, but I'm just stating that it just doesn't seem very impressive, we can speculate all we want about how great the game might be but none of us really know. The graphics just seemed very bland to me, reminds me of the weapons from doom 3, nothing seems to really have any punch to it in the videos

User is offline   hornoxe 

argh, what the heck is up with putting up the video on US-only and/or sucky sites. That site is completely fubared, I've tried 3 different browsers, I've tried a handfull of different US proxy servers too, nothing works. It's like they're going out of their way to make sure no one can watch it *grumble*

This post has been edited by hornoxe: 11 June 2009 - 07:56 AM

User is offline   Serge 

• Nukem de Duc pour Toujours

I uploaded the new footage here (there's a little lag at 1:30, sorry for that)
I'm a bit disappointed by what jace showed us and i don't think it's a great tribute to DNF (boring and buggy). I was hoping to see the tactical nuclear weapon in action.

User is offline   Loke 

Thanks Serge for the upload.

Well, that was thoroughly unspectacular. The worm looked good though.

Why do I get the feeling that will be the last time we ever see DNF?

User is offline   hornoxe 

Thanks for the video!

The stuff George would mention about interactivity barely scratched the surface of what was in there last time I knew the game. I would be surprised if they had just abandoned it all.

User is offline   Ramen4ever 

meh. Rehashed filler. Balls of Steel x 50. Boring. First half of the show was good. I didn't see any actual "tribute' in there.

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

View PostNonSequitur, on Jun 11 2009, 09:51 AM, said:

Well, that was thoroughly unspectacular. The worm looked good though.

Why do I get the feeling that will be the last time we ever see DNF?

Because George blew the game budget in Vegas? :)
Im still downloading the footage serge uploaded.

Heres the youtube link if anyones interested. If anyone wants the whole video for some reason you can get it using keepvid.
().

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

View PostCaine, on Jun 11 2009, 12:16 PM, said:

man i still think it looks more like serious sam 3 than a duke game. also kinda consolish feeling...

The game looks uber awesome although this new jace hall footage is weird. wtf with the artifact :)

User is offline   ShXIII 

hmmm

This post has been edited by ShXIII: 11 June 2009 - 12:31 PM

User is offline   rockmx8 

Man that Footage was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! Seriously I wish this game comes out..... :) This can't be the end to DUKE that miserably hilariously....... :D

DUKE IS FOREVER.............

This post has been edited by rockmx8: 11 June 2009 - 02:57 PM

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostCaine, on Jun 11 2009, 04:54 PM, said:

all people who think the footage is awesome really are too much fanboyish..... i am a due fan since it came out in the past (yeah im old) but this movie was nothing spectacular at all, more disappointingly

Yeah, there's a reason Jace didn't show all of the footage in the original episode it was meant for. It pains me to say that it didn't look any different than Prey.

I know they had have some cool interactive things to show, though--I'm very sure of it. Just because it wasn't on the Jace show doesn't mean they didn't have it. But ultimately, whatever they had wasn't impressive enough for their publisher. I'm sure the team was very talented and worked very hard, but George held back their potential by being too obsessive.

Hey wow look a new vid with the material he thought wasn't good enough for the first video. Funny Jace sounds board.

User is offline   Babe 

View Postzchri9, on Jun 11 2009, 01:09 PM, said:

Because George blew the game budget in Vegas? :D
Im still downloading the footage serge uploaded.

Heres the youtube link if anyones interested. If anyone wants the whole video for some reason you can get it using keepvid.
().

Thanks for the Youtube upload. But when I tried to see it, I get this message

"This video is not available in your country due to copyright restrictions."

I live in Australia. So now Youtube trying to do region restrictions :) !

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Babe, check the news item on the front page. It has a link to Megaupload.

User is offline   BFG9000 

all this new footage just makes me sad... damn i wanna play this game.

User is offline   ---- 

I am glad, that I am not the only one here who thought that the footage was no that impressing.

User is offline   Raziel 

View PostWieder, on Jun 11 2009, 09:53 AM, said:

The stuff George would mention about interactivity barely scratched the surface of what was in there last time I knew the game. I would be surprised if they had just abandoned it all.

I'm sure they didn't abandon all of that - especially since I assume a lot of it is written in UnrealScript which still exists in the new engine. To be honest though, if they did abandon most of it, it wouldn't kill the fun-factor for me. From what I've seen in the leaked footage (specifically the demo reel), the game already looks like a lot of fun, I don't need gimmicks to keep me entertained. The original camera terminals in Duke3D entertained me for all of 20 seconds and then I didn't bother with them further. Same with the pool table... To me, those things weren't what made the game great, it could have been for other people - but that wasn't what made me have fun with Duke3D...

Yes, the Jace Hall footage is nothing more impressive than Prey, but it is very old footage (it was already 6 months old when it was shown on the Jace Hall show, so I'm actually surprised the game was in such a good state at the time) and looking at the game now it really looks like it has shaped up to be a great FPS. Now, if it can only be finished that would be good *fingers crossed*.

Jace Hall is a bitch. His show is unimaginative and lame. I could make a better show with my Canon Powershot and a few hours of editing. Also, he just said there was twenty minutes of footage shot and he was now going to air the "unedited footage" yet he only plays another two minutes of edited footage. I hope his show becomes extinct.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostRaziel, on Jun 12 2009, 11:10 AM, said:

The original camera terminals in Duke3D entertained me for all of 20 seconds and then I didn't bother with them further. Same with the pool table... To me, those things weren't what made the game great, it could have been for other people - but that wasn't what made me have fun with Duke3D...

No, little things like that made the game. Of course no one though you would actually play pool, but having it in added to interactivity. Having babes added a little. Having strippers or footprints. It was an interactive design with various silly(in a good way) gimmicks, not just one gimmick to piss in the toilet.

View PostHorrorshowChi, on Jun 12 2009, 01:19 AM, said:

Jace Hall is a bitch. His show is unimaginative and lame. I could make a better show with my Canon Powershot and a few hours of editing. Also, he just said there was twenty minutes of footage shot and he was now going to air the "unedited footage" yet he only plays another two minutes of edited footage. I hope his show becomes extinct.

Then go make your show asshole. I'm sure you could make a little money by having 4 million viewers a week like he does.

User is offline   dino 

You may disagree with a concept of a show or with the person presenting the show for that matter but claiming that you could easily do better with less effort is very boldly stated. If done so you would have to come up with something otherwise you'll lose your credibility. I never watched a full episode of the Jace Hall show - only some scenes, it looked entertaining enough - whereas I am no fan of zeropunctuation I would never claim that I could do better.

They all have my respect, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with what they say or be a fan of their show.

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

View PostSerge, on Jun 11 2009, 09:25 AM, said:

I uploaded the new footage here (there's a little lag at 1:30, sorry for that)
I'm a bit disappointed by what jace showed us and i don't think it's a great tribute to DNF (boring and buggy). I was hoping to see the tactical nuclear weapon in action.

What software did you use to capture that?

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options