Duke4.net Forums: Original TES devs start new studio "OnceLost Games" - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Original TES devs start new studio "OnceLost Games"

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

This has my attention. Apparently this all started with a Reddit AMA and then an interview and then this happened. News before the end of the year.

https://www.videogam...QSd1lbamJJc522Y

A team of former The Elder Scrolls developers have come together to form a new studio called OnceLost Games, and it is working on its own open-world fantasy RPG title.

Focusing on a spiritual successor to Daggerfall, OnceLost Games’ ambition is ‘to meet the gap between the deep, complex design pillars of games from the 1990's, with the production values, improved controls and quality of life features in games today.’ Julian LeFay, considered to be the ‘Father of The Elder Scrolls’, is acting as the studio’s technical director, and stated in a Reddit AMA that he would be interested in creating a Daggerfall sequel of some sort.

‘It would have to be done in such a way that I wouldn't have business-related issues. Those are things that I've decided that I never want to deal with. With proper funding and someone trustworthy to manage the business side of things, it could definitely be a thing,’ he said. ‘I can't realistically see this coming to pass since it's not something I would initiate; it's not my thing. If someone could bring this about and then offered me an opportunity to join, that'd be a much more likely way that something along these lines could happen.’

LeFay will be joining Ted Peterson, one of the lead designers and writers for the original The Elder Scrolls series. Vijay Lakshman is taking on the role of executive producer with accolades from his work on more than 80 game titles, ranging from Spyro the Dragon to Lord of the Rings: Online. Ian Phoenix is the studio’s marketing director, who runs the YouTube channel Indigo Gaming that produces video game analysis, reviews and documentaries.

The Council of Wisdom is the studio’s Discord server, in which interested parties can chat to the developers and receive updates on its new RPG project. OnceLost Games will have an announcement scheduled for the end of the year, so we’ll keep you in the loop once we know more.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 30 September 2019 - 05:19 AM

User is offline   Rimantas 

I haven't played Daggerfall yet, but i love and play Arena (1994) on DosBox. I expect only the best from this team.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Hopefully they'll develop a good TES killer.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

One of the team made a thread a while ago at The Daggerfall Workshop Forums:
Daggerfall Spiritual Successor Project (Artists Needed!)

Here's hoping for them to make a game that will neatly implement all the cool ideas that were pondered for DF but never reached the intended potential.

User is offline   Player Lin 

Hmm, no sure but just wait and see what will happens.

Warning : Silly rants in spoiler.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 01 October 2019 - 09:07 AM

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Perhaps they could also work on a Terminator : Future Shock / SKYNET remake , or some sequel or else related...

Bugs in Daggerfall are not bugs, they're part of the experience.

But seriously, the game is unparalleled in its atmosphere IMO. If they combine the best stuff Arena and Daggerfall have to offer and improve on it that would be pretty awesome.

I really don't know why I didn't like Morrowind the same as the first two games. It's obvious that the devs analysed the previous mistakes and tried to build upon that: every piece of the game world completely unique, full of interesting stuff to explore etc. etc. But whereas in the first two games I felt really free to go and do what I wanted, Morrowind is more about discovering and/or figuring out what adventures the devs prepared for you in each area, and going through with them. Removing the truly random quests took away this charm in my opinion.

I hope the new game is more like Daggerfall in this respect. Go to random town and do a random job for a random person. Join a guild and do stuff for them, with at least the locations you have to visit with each quest always a surprise.

And yeah, I do believe that nowadays the tech will allow to create a truly living world and not just an imitation. Like what was described in pre-release materials, with the player's each action having some consequence in the game world, but at the same time stuff happening on a larger scale independently of the player's deeds, and not scripted but in a randomly emergent way.

• The Sarien Encounter

I do not care for random quests. Arena was fun but really got old after a while. Daggerfall is just too difficult to get started. I just cannot get into it. Morrowind is way too diceroll-y for me, but I like how there is so much handcrafted material there in quests, locations, characters, secrets, and items. That's what I love about all Todd's TES games. But Oblivion and Skyrim win out because there's more action and player agency in the combat which I highly prefer.

But I'm highly curious what OnceLost Games can do. I did like Arena and I've really wanted to get more into Daggerfall. It just seems like far too big of a game and I'm already used to "new" Elder Scrolls to backtrack to it I think.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 01 October 2019 - 04:53 PM

View PostPlayer Lin, on 01 October 2019 - 09:04 AM, said:

Warning : Silly rants in spoiler.
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hmm, no sure but just wait and see what will happens.

I'm quite skeptical myself, my stance is on "only believe it when I see it" stage. :P But I'm curious for sure.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 01 October 2019 - 04:51 PM, said:

Morrowind is way too diceroll-y for me

I definitely agree on that, CRPG gameplay just doesn't work too well with first person view like in Morrowind in general, it's kinda meh design because you expect things to work differently for obvious reasons. With games in aurora engine it worked way better because it's more believable (Baldur's Gate games, Dragon Age, KOTOR), that if we speak of 3D, back in the old days when things were in first person it was also believable because gameplay overall wasn't too fast-paced or "free", you know, it was quite limited (just like in games on Aurora engine).

Though I'm going to give it a go again when I get more time to play games.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 02 October 2019 - 12:38 AM

View PostSledgehammer, on 02 October 2019 - 12:23 AM, said:

The industry definitely needs a very good TES clone. The only semi-similar game like new TES I can think of is Dragon's Dogma that was released about decade ago (and was quite incomplete, a lot of things were cut, though the game was still very good). Would love to get a new game a bit closer to older TES games and very polished, and also more developed overall (something what older TES games lacked too), without too much of cuts or too much randomness, but that would greatly depend from the publisher.

I couldn't agree more. Haven't heard of Dragons Dogma though (just checked MobyGames, it's not for PC, then nevermind).

I do not care for random quests. Arena was fun but really got old after a while. Daggerfall is just too difficult to get started. I just cannot get into it.

I did like Arena and I've really wanted to get more into Daggerfall. It just seems like far too big of a game and I'm already used to "new" Elder Scrolls to backtrack to it I think.

Arena is cool but indeed the stuff you can do is quite limited compared to Daggerfall. One of its strong points that was not improved upon in the sequel is the functional wilderness: while you can't walk on foot from location to location (the wilderness is generated randomly) there are opportunities for adventuring there, you bump into random people and locations, there are villages and inns and farms and whatever. In Daggerfall, you can "slow-travel" on foot or horse from place to place, but the wilderness is completely empty save for occasionally generated random monsters (if you camp) and endless tree and boulder sprites. Yeah, you may run into something like a random dungeon or even an occasional witch coven (very rarely) but only if you're willing to spend like hours of aimless wandering with nothing interesting happening altogether.

I would personally recommend you to give Daggerfall a(nother) try. Pick an easy class like a Breton/High Elf Warrior or Battlemage, it does make quite a difference at the start. Some classes are rather botched in DF compared to Arena, and combat magic at low levels is nigh useless. Also don't forget that controls can be configured to the modern WASD+Mouse scheme with zero trouble, which is undoubtedly the recommended way to play.

What I like about Daggerfall is that indeed to properly play it you need to have a strategy and plan stuff in advance. It's kind of like a roguelike really. First dungeon, carefully level up and gather some gear; once out sell junk at a good shop (lowest quality gives best prices when selling), buy horse & cart, and join guilds. You absolutely need to rank up in a temple that gives potions because sooner or later you'll run into folks with poisoned blades. If playing as a caster, join the mages and buy custom spells as the funds permit. And of course, have multiple saves: one in town, one when you get a quest, one in dungeon, more if the situation demands.

I cannot say anything about Daggerfall Unity as I haven't tried it out yet. Last time I checked, it didn't adjust visuals to the correct aspect ratio and I'm too much of a purist to ignore this. But it should have some quality of life improvements compared to the vanilla game, plus there are some interesting mods.

View PostMrFlibble, on 02 October 2019 - 01:57 AM, said:

I couldn't agree more. Haven't heard of Dragons Dogma though (just checked MobyGames, it's not for PC, then nevermind).

It was released on Steam in 2016 or so I believe (it's also on GOG). Highly recommend the game, it even has very nice (and unique) companion feature.
https://store.steamp...com/app/367500/
https://www.gog.com/...gma_dark_arisen

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm quite skeptical myself, my stance is on "only believe it when I see it" stage. :o But I'm curious for sure.

It's fine, I think. Hype won't help. :D

I definitely agree on that, CRPG gameplay just doesn't work too well with first person view like in Morrowind in general, it's kinda meh design because you expect things to work differently for obvious reasons.

I prefer FPV but "too-much-dice-rolly" is not something I would like even I understand that's how CRPG works but...it just feel weird when it looks like you hit something but actually you're not because your hit check was failed.

At least on TES3, we have mod can change that(but not perfectly).

Nah, I just needed shitloads of time and then I'll buy or/and play the old TES games. :P

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 02 October 2019 - 09:14 AM

Spoiler

Also, changing Morrowind gameplay is kinda weird, I mean, CRPG mechanics is the main gameplay of the game.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 02 October 2019 - 09:01 AM

View PostSledgehammer, on 02 October 2019 - 08:57 AM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

EDIT:

View PostSledgehammer, on 02 October 2019 - 08:57 AM, said:

Also, changing Morrowind gameplay is kinda weird, I mean, CRPG mechanics is the main gameplay of the game.

True, but if it improves the experience then why not? Yes, it may weird but not every one like the CRPG part of mechanics.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 02 October 2019 - 09:14 AM

Spoiler

I'm not a fan either, because it's not very well designed. But still would be weird. I'm appreciating CRPGs more so maybe I may change my mind later.

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm all for changing the combat in Morrowind. I don't even care if it's weird. Actually, I'm really looking forward to Morroblivion and Skywind. I don't care about the gameplay so much as the world, exploration, lore, and story....as long as the gameplay is something I actually like. I'm also looking forward to FF7 Remake for the same reason.

User is offline   Avoozl 

I'd personally take Open Morrowind over Skywind.

This post has been edited by Avoozl: 07 October 2019 - 04:48 PM

I bet Skywind will never be finished anyway. But OpenMW for vanilla plus mods is definitely the best version of Morrowind, way better than original game, even though it's technically not exactly finished yet.

If the Soul Trap glitch still work i'm ready to go Posted Image.

View PostMrFlibble, on 02 October 2019 - 01:57 AM, said:

I cannot say anything about Daggerfall Unity as I haven't tried it out yet. Last time I checked, it didn't adjust visuals to the correct aspect ratio and I'm too much of a purist to ignore this. But it should have some quality of life improvements compared to the vanilla game, plus there are some interesting mods.

I finally got around to try DFUnity. It appears that at some point, the correct aspect ratio support feature was introduced, but it's kind of hidden in the options so I was not immediately aware of how to enable it.

At startup, you need to set your rendering resolution to a 4:3 ratio (e.g. 1024x768), then go to Advanced -> Interface and select Free Scaling. This will render the cutscenes, menu screens, interface etc. in the selected aspect ratio.

You can then also go to Advanced -> Video and pick Retro Rendering Mode to get the closest to vanilla experience that is possible. There are two options, 320x200 and 640x400 (which will be stretched vertically to fit the 4:3 ratio) that can be roughly compared to Chocolate Doom and Crispy Doom respectively.

This is all described in detail here.

The game mechanics are not all source port accurate yet but there's some extensive reverse engineering going on that should eventually produce a more or less faithful recreation.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options