Duke4.net Forums: Bobby Prince suing Gearbox over unpaid WT royalties - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bobby Prince suing Gearbox over unpaid WT royalties

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Posted Image

Duke 3D has been announced for Switch. Wonder if this is why the lawsuit is happening again now.

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour will cost $9.99 on the Switch eShop. From now through July 7, fans can purchase the game at a 50 percent discount.
https://nintendoever...1M0nIeawnyrcvkc

This post has been edited by Duke Legacy: 16 June 2020 - 10:48 AM

User is offline   Mark 

here we go yet again :)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: grab hat.jpg

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I actually don't blame them on this one. id Software stopped working with Apogee because of their shitty and shady business practices. Scott runs a fly by night business. People here who have worked with Apogee know all about their "contracts."

I like Bobby and he should definitely want to get what is his. But let's face it, this is business and if Gearbox doesn't have to pay someone, they're not going to do it out of goodwill. The price of doing business with Apogee is getting drilled no Vaseline down the line.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Like most of the sad, sorry history of Duke, this makes no sense. Settling directly with Prince would be a fraction of the time, effort or cost of suing poor old 3DR - again. On the other hand, last time they took them to court over one game, they somehow wound up with the whole IP and the entire back catalog. If they shake the gifting tree one more time, who knows what else will fall out? Hey TX, how do you feel about having Randy as your new boss?

Just imagine if Gearbox had put this many resources into what they should actually be doing, which is making a game? We'd be on our second new title by now.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 16 June 2020 - 10:10 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostTea Monster, on 16 June 2020 - 10:06 PM, said:

Hey TX, how do you feel about having Randy as your new boss?

Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Because 3DR says so? I'm not casting doubt, but to others that's not exactly convincing given everything they said they had the rights to and everything they said OTHERS had the rights to beforehand (HTTKC)...just an observation. I'm sure it won't go down that way.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 16 June 2020 - 11:48 PM

• Polymancer

When Randy and 3DR's lawyers get put into a courtroom together, reality seems to get pretzeled. Anything could happen!

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 16 June 2020 - 11:48 PM, said:

Because 3DR says so? I'm not casting doubt, but to others that's not exactly convincing given everything they said they had the rights to and everything they said OTHERS had the rights to beforehand (HTTKC)...just an observation. I'm sure it won't go down that way.

I would think unless the contract says otherwise VP owns Ion Fury by default and 3DR just has the publishing rights.

(but as Forge says, 3DR owns the character)

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 17 June 2020 - 07:22 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostPhredreeke, on 17 June 2020 - 03:48 AM, said:

I would think unless the contract says otherwise VP owns Ion Fury by default and 3DR just has the publishing rights.

pretty sure bombshell is the i.p. of 3dr

User is offline   gemeaux333 

https://twitter.com/...067847317520384

In other words : don't believe everything you read

• The Sarien Encounter

Of course, I also expect that VP were smart enough to avoid any issues with rights and contracts this time around so that what happened before doesn't happen again. No doubt about that.

And just in case anyone thinks it, that's not sarcasm at all. VP are good people.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Doesn't matter how "good" a contract is if one party intends to be shady. Surely you're better off dealing with Fred than Scott, but I wouldn't trust either of them farther than I could throw them. Pitchford included.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Please we don't have to ruin this thread with politics...

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Meanwhile, in my own experience dealing with Gearbox lawyers, if you ask Pitchford he will make public statements without fact-checking. But Gearbox's legal team is extremely well prepared.

So just because an article with a quote from Pitchford makes the lawsuit look absurd, doesn't mean they don't have a good case.

But we will see.

View PostFox, on 20 June 2020 - 02:34 PM, said:

Meanwhile, in my own experience dealing with Gearbox lawyers, if you ask Pitchford he will make public statements without fact-checking. But Gearbox's legal team is extremely well prepared.

So just because an article with a quote from Pitchford makes the lawsuit look absurd, doesn't mean they don't have a good case.

But we will see.

And besides this tweeter post from Apogee says : https://twitter.com/...067847317520384
3D Realms is not Apogee Software (just like Blizzard is not Activision), but a lot of articles are saying "Gearbox sues Apogee Software"...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 21 June 2020 - 07:52 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Um, Blizzard IS Activision though isn't it? Since the merger? I thought they changed their name to Activision Blizzard specifically?

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 21 June 2020 - 09:37 AM, said:

Um, Blizzard IS Activision though isn't it? Since the merger? I thought they changed their name to Activision Blizzard specifically?

Posted Image

They are 2 separate entities... if not why would Activision cut the money allowed to Blizzard for the Warcraft franchise ?

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 21 June 2020 - 09:53 AM

User is offline   Dan 

View Postgemeaux333, on 16 June 2020 - 06:48 AM, said:

The kind of article you can only disagree with : https://kotaku.com/d...-ove-1844043358

Interesting, someone in the comments mentioned that discarded versions of Duke Nukem Forever featured Duke's niece or daughter as the player character, and that Duke would be an overweight, washed up, has been that needed to be saved. I never heard of that version of the story before.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

They are probably either trolling or getting mixed up. I know Giantbomb once joked about that type of Duke game when DNF first came out and now other sites parrot it.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 22 June 2020 - 06:39 PM

User is offline   necroslut 

There were stuff like rejected story pitches that came from outside, maybe it's one of those.

View PostDan, on 22 June 2020 - 05:55 PM, said:

Interesting, someone in the comments mentioned that discarded versions of Duke Nukem Forever featured Duke's niece or daughter as the player character, and that Duke would be an overweight, washed up, has been that needed to be saved. I never heard of that version of the story before.

At this rate, a new Duke Nukem game featuring Duke's son would be a much better bet, just like in the comics, a character that is some kind of white canvas and need to find himself

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 23 June 2020 - 07:59 AM

I can't think of any comic book series that did that and actually worked, except maybe Spider-Girl according to others that read it. Most of the time its a one comic dealy or massively blows up in the author's face.

• Polymancer

This article exists in some alternate universe where Duke Nukem is an ongoing series. What Duke Nukem franchise are they talking about (apart from a series of legal battles)?

As far as we know, Gearbox has no plans to release any new Duke Nukem content. Gearbox has cancelled Duke Begins. Even the promised release of the DNF beta material is in doubt. Duke Nukem is dead and the only "activity" is various parties fighting over how to best profit over the mouldering remains.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostTea Monster, on 23 June 2020 - 10:49 PM, said:

This article exists in some alternate universe where Duke Nukem is an ongoing series. What Duke Nukem franchise are they talking about (apart from a series of legal battles)?

As far as we know, Gearbox has no plans to release any new Duke Nukem content. Gearbox has cancelled Duke Begins. Even the promised release of the DNF beta material is in doubt. Duke Nukem is dead and the only "activity" is various parties fighting over how to best profit over the mouldering remains.

Wondering what will be the low where Randy is starting to feel ashamed. Doesn't this guy realise how much is he hated by everyone? Doesn't he realise he is destroying the Duke franchise, while Doom and other games of the era (even Shadow Warrior) got new titles? He is to Duke Nukem what Donald Sterling was to the Los Angeles Clippers.

This post has been edited by The Watchtower: 24 June 2020 - 05:31 AM

What do you mean? Gearbox SAVED Duke! :)

View PostPhredreeke, on 24 June 2020 - 05:53 AM, said:

What do you mean? Gearbox SAVED Duke! :)

As Jon St John said : "Georges Broussard created the character, Randy Pitchford brought him back from the abyss" ,he actually highly respect them both

Perhaps Randy just want to do things right when it comes to Duke Nukem and is actually too busy to realize how impatient some fans are growing, but he don't want to do things like Georges Broussard (teasing a game for decades to end on a mediocre game), and understandably it may take time to do things right, he doesn't really belive in "fan service" asside from its fan-service value in order to bring new fans to the licence, he only did World Tour to please Levelord and other historic devs of Duke Nukem because they had great plans for a 5th episodes (as it has been stated in his last streams, especially the visioconference we got 3 years ago)

And as strange as it can sound, I have seen many comments from peoples saying they prefer remasters like World Tour than new Duke games that would end like DNF...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 24 June 2020 - 07:18 AM

So is the plan to just rerelease Duke3D every few years until the fanbase dies out then?

View PostPhredreeke, on 24 June 2020 - 09:53 AM, said:

So is the plan to just rerelease Duke3D every few years until the fanbase dies out then?

I very much doubt it, I rather believe Gearbox is secretly working on an Unreal Engine 4 (or any other engine) Duke game, either in internal (Gearbox Dallas or Gearbox Quebec) or outsourcing it (need suggestions about potential candidates), but we are very much unlikely to know about until the very last moment... and now the trend is about only anouncing games only 10 days prior to their release, and not only the Switch version of DN3D World Tour, it was also the case of XCOM: CHIMERA SQUAD recently (and possibly many others I don't know about)

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 24 June 2020 - 10:49 AM

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options