Duke4.net Forums: Changing the resolution in fullscreen mode causes eduke32 to be turned into a background process on Windows - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Changing the resolution in fullscreen mode causes eduke32 to be turned into a background process on Windows

When in fullscreen mode, switching resolution two times in a row turns the game into a background process.
Notably this also happens anytime someone attempts to switch viewmode from 2D to 3D in mapster32 while in fullscreen mode.

This only happens on Windows, I could not reproduce the same problem on Debian 10. Probably some kind of problem with SDL.

It appears that this was broken in commit r8063 "Support fullscreening to the correct display in multiple monitor configurations"

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 19 September 2019 - 03:07 AM

It also happens when you press ALT+Enter, and furthermore it also happens in Ion Fury.

One person playing the AMC TC ended up being unable to launch the game in the foreground again after this occurrence, running on Windows 7.
It's as if it somehow remembered that it was a background process last time it was run, and it just restores it as that.

User is offline   Paul B 

I will chime in because I use to have this exact same problem. The devs blamed my hardware as the problem or a bad driver. However, I knew it wasn't that. Eventually, someone figured out the problem and silently fixed it as I haven't had it happen in ages but now I haven't been updating Eduke either. It's like when IF came on the scene they forked the code re- introducing all these bugs they had fixed over a 7 year period. I don't know why, maybe for the sake of optimizations. But this has been a major set back. No idea how long it will take them to reach the point where they were a couple years back. I kinda think this change has been in the works for a while now and they just bit the bullet for IF performance, Eduke32 was kind of an after thought. I think they just need to revise their previous commits to adapt to their new way of doing things. If memory serves me correctly rather than play the game in full screen mode try playing it in window mode. That worked for me. Until they can revisit the fix. I use multiple monitors too. (Very interesting). I think you are onto something with dual display in full screen mode.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 01 October 2019 - 11:03 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Posted Image

Still happens in r8494. Though I realize that this problem appears to be highly dependent on system configuration.

One other person on Civvie's server tested this for me a while back, and it didn't happen for them.
He had a multi-monitor configuration, while I have only a single monitor -- this may be the source of the problem, judging from the commit that introduced it. Not completely confident however.

User is offline   nano 

Still happens in r8533. I also have a multi-monitor system. If I can provide any info that would be useful for debugging let me know.

This post has been edited by nano: 15 January 2020 - 08:48 AM

User is offline   necroslut 

This happens for me too in the latest builds, also in the latest version of Ion Fury (didn't happen on previous releases). No multi-monitor.

As of commit b6d97513 this is no longer an issue on my end.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Kudos to the huge amount of effort you've put into bug reporting recently. Keep up that great work! (while I ride into the sunset peacefully)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options