Duke4.net Forums: Bugged transparent blocking TROR layers - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bugged transparent blocking TROR layers

User is online   Sangman 

How to reproduce:

- Create a sector, with a child sector inside, extend downwards with TROR
- Make the TROR layer transparent and blocking (ie. where normally there's an invisible TROR texture, there will be a visible texture similar to masked walls)
Either:
- Put the player in the bottom TROR sector and have them hit their head on that visible TROR texture. This can be accomplished either through jumping or through having a low ceiling and standing up after crouching
OR
- Activate view mode and position the camera in a way that triggers the bug - see video below

Effect:

The player's view (*not* the actual player sprite, again see video below) sticks to the ceiling of the sector the player pokes through.

Attached is a map with this thing set up. In this case, there's another TROR layer on the ceiling of sector 0 but I've tested the issue without it and that doesn't matter. You'll find a more simplified room exhibiting the same bug in this map as well.

This is possibly related to this one https://forums.duke4...om-under-water/

As the pipebomb testing shows, the player sprite is still physically in the bottom TROR sector, hit detection and all seems to be handled as such. It's simply the camera acting oddly or so it would seem.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Sangman: 11 September 2019 - 12:21 PM

User is offline   Mark 

A good catch. But a question to mappers that use TROR. Have any of you ever created such a low ceiling in a bottom layer that the player is allowed to enter? I haven't so far.

View PostMark, on 12 September 2019 - 10:50 AM, said:

A good catch. But a question to mappers that use TROR. Have any of you ever created such a low ceiling in a bottom layer that the player is allowed to enter? I haven't so far.

MickyC has for Ghost Ship in AMC TC. That's how we discovered this in the first place.

Note that the glitch also happens when you swim up to a TROR ceiling underwater.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 12 September 2019 - 02:57 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Hmm...A few weeks ago a fix was made to TROR water and it was working fine in my maps. Maybe something has changed again.

User is online   Sangman 

To clarify: emerging from TROR water works fine. But if your underwater bunch consists of multiple TROR layers, with a transparent blocking texture like in the video, you will encounter the same issue when swimming up against it.

I haven't debugged it but to me it seems like somewhere there'll be a reference to the ceiling z coordinate of the wrong sector

This post has been edited by Sangman: 13 September 2019 - 02:39 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostSangman, on 13 September 2019 - 02:37 AM, said:

To clarify: emerging from TROR water works fine. But if your underwater bunch consists of multiple TROR layers, with a transparent blocking texture like in the video, you will encounter the same issue when swimming up against it.

I haven't debugged it but to me it seems like somewhere there'll be a reference to the ceiling z coordinate of the wrong sector

I thought the same thing, it's probably looking at the sector at the top of the bunch instead of the current player sector. A lot of older functions in build just use x,y co-ords to find sectors.

User is online   Sangman 

It doesn't go to the top sector in the bunch in my example. My guess is the sector with the lowest sectnum.. should probably try that actually..

User is online   Sangman 

Fixed in at least r8123. Thanks!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options