Duke4.net Forums: [Tuto] - Rotate sectors neatly - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[Tuto] - Rotate sectors neatly  "Use a parametric rotation"

User is offline   Seb Luca 

It seems that this feature of Build is little, or not known at all. So, here is how I proceed to assign a specific angle to a sector, or a group of sectors :

1 - Just select your target with [Alt Gr].

Posted Image

2 - Rotate the mouse wheel while holding down the following buttons : [Shift Left] + [Ctrl Left] + [Alt] + [Left mouse button].
You will then see a small textbox at the bottom of the screen. Enter the desired angle (can be made negative by pressing [-] after writing the number).
If sprites are inside the selection, their angle will be automatically adapted.

Posted Image

3 - It is done ! You just still have to validate by deselecting with [Alt Gr].

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Seb Luca: 01 September 2019 - 12:05 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Thats a whole lot of mouse buttons and keys to press all at once. I use a simpler way. After selecting the area to be rotated, I press < or > to rotate 90 degrees at a time or press shift and < or > for more precision.

View PostMark, on 01 September 2019 - 05:29 AM, said:

I use a simpler way

I'm sorry, but you are wrong : we are not talking about the exact same action :(

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

While it works fairly well, in some "rare" cases it will still warp and shift sectors, walls, and sprites if the amount of rotation is large and/or the density of the items inside the rotated sector is high. Especially using older versions of mapster that have the proper blocking-wall color scheme for the visually impaired.

It's still a good trick to know if parts of your floorplan don't align with the mapster grid.

I think the "easier" way is to select your sector / room with right-shift, then hold down the left shift key & the right mouse button. It should make the sector rotate by dragging it with the mouse.
Having to know the angle to type it in seems like it may involve a lot of trial and error.

This post has been edited by Forge: 01 September 2019 - 07:19 AM

Why all the keys? You only have to select the sector and press [ALT][<] or [>] to trigger the textbox. The symbol makes no difference and you have to input a negative number to rotate in the opposite direction.

User is offline   Forge 

High Treason,
does it work cleanly for you? Which version of mapster are you using?
I had "issues" recently with warping. I could take a simple sector & flip it around well enough, but once I started adding vetices to the outer walls and adding sectors off those points inside the room, the outer walls would start losing their straight lines & it would then affect the things inside the sector.

This post has been edited by Forge: 01 September 2019 - 07:37 AM

Note à moi-même : penser à faire vœux de silence x)

User is offline   Forge 

View PostSeb Luca, on 01 September 2019 - 08:04 AM, said:

Note à moi-même : penser à faire vœux de silence x)

It's good information.

But I'm having issues with r4525. Sometimes it executes flawlessly, sometimes (most of the time) it shoves all the sprites into the walls and makes sector lines cross each other. It depends on the angle.

This post has been edited by Forge: 01 September 2019 - 08:14 AM

View PostForge, on 01 September 2019 - 08:10 AM, said:

It's good information.
But I'm having issues with r4525. Sometimes it executes flawlessly, sometimes (most of the time) it shoves all the sprites into the walls and makes sector lines cross each other. It depends on the angle.

Thank you :P
Your problem is strange :D I do not see that with the r6969 ...
Maybe you could have a newer installation in a VM, and that you just use to rotate the sectors? :(

User is offline   Forge 

Not practical, but I'm willing to update, as long as it isn't to a version with all the lame sprite colors & the blocking walls that look like non-blocking walls

+1 for the sprite colors in the list : it is annoying :(

Mapster build 4593 here. The function mostly works, but I've rarely used values outside of friendlier numbers, like 64, 128, 192 and so on. I used this rotate function for prefab furniture a lot in my levels and it never really seemed to have a problem. Rotating by sight without inputting a value seems to be less reliable, I can't say I recall ever trying to rotate complex sectors with either method though, my levels don't tend to have diagonals in them.

User is offline   Mark 

View PostSeb Luca, on 01 September 2019 - 05:48 AM, said:

I'm sorry, but you are wrong : we are not talking about the exact same action :(

What is the difference between what we are doing? We both rotated selected sectors and sprites to a specified degree value. But instead of punching in a number in the box I held down the 2 keys to get to that same degree of rotation.

This post has been edited by Mark: 01 September 2019 - 09:40 AM

@High Treason : I think the misalignment problem occurs if you change the orientation by Shift + mouse left + mouse wheel.

@Mark :
The difference here is the notion of parameter. And when the angle is large, is it not faster to enter the value directly? Especially for a chain treatment? :(

User is offline   Forge 

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Some knives are sharper than others. Some people don't mind the dull blade if the elk antler handle feels good in their hand.

View PostForge, on 01 September 2019 - 01:18 PM, said:

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Some knives are sharper than others. Some people don't mind the dull blade if the elk antler handle feels good in their hand.

Waw ! Your analogy is zoo cool! :P :( ;) :D

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options