Duke4.net Forums: Memories from the Past - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Memories from the Past

User is offline   ck3D 

View PostPerro Seco, on 29 October 2019 - 02:16 AM, said:

Those sounds also captured my attention when I was a kid. The ambient scream is not only a scream, there's another sound mixed with it, what is it? There's also another sound that is not the scream, the helicopter or the ship, but I don't know what is it either. Maybe a building collapsing? Some kind of aircraft passing through?

That is so funny, just reading your post I knew exactly what third sound you meant and it went off in my head. I was pretty captivated by those sounds as a kid as well, same mystery around the second one too here, now that I think about it I always heard it as the sound of a 'plane' (logically, would need to be a ship) passing through with some kind of alien accident aboard, but it could also be an off-screen street scene involving a far away crash or just about any sudden attack where someone gets murdered or mutated (in the same fashion as Pigcops), could very well be some kind of babe's cry. I also find that it sounds similar to an Octabrain's, just at higher speed and on a way higher pitch. The aforementioned third sound I always subconsciously registered as either of the two interpretations you're giving as well. Pretty cool how much mystery a little sound clip can hold, and realizing it's stuff we've always heard but never really tried to break down rationally because the effect is somehow cool enough to just roll with it no real questions asked.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 29 October 2019 - 04:05 AM

View PostSanek, on 29 October 2019 - 01:25 AM, said:

The russian vk group was huge when Eddy and I started it back in 2008. Everybody was making maps, discussing the game and stuff. Eventually, it wall kinda slowed down over the years; nobody's talking to each other anymore. I remember we had some argument over RCBP III development, but I don't think it's the reason. Still, it's sad that Eddy de facto left the community by now. Not to mention the rest of the gang.

I remember the day we had started RCBP III in 2010; I was eager then to take the lead on it, offering it to be built using my fresh ExtCLUT mod. I've even done a high-detailed forest location as a starting point, but it left my teammates kind of intimidated, put on doubt that the rest of the map could be done with a similar attention to details, considering our shortage of spare time for mapping. As nobody seemed to be interested enough in justifying the new features, the project has stalled. Still I'd like to post a screenshot of it. It's a shame that we couldn't get it to turn into a complete level back then...

Attached Image: forest10.png

User is offline   FistMarine 

I have a lot of fond memories with the original Duke3D v1.3D which was my first version that I had (on a compilation CD with games called 3D Action Games Collection, which also had other games such as Quake and Strife) and grew up with it. I didn't even know how shareware version looked until I saw on Youtube back in 2007 some Duke3D gameplay videos and then I also discovered Atomic Edition but it wasn't until 2012-2013 when I owned original copy of both versions of Duke3D. Unlike Doom where I only had shareware version as kid and a pirated Doom 2 v1.666 copy (so I didn't know how registered/ultimate looks until also 2007 or so, later I got original copies of Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Master Levels and Final Doom), Duke3D was full from the start. As I mentioned in another topic, that "pirated" Duke3D copy I had was actually identical to 1.3D with the only difference being the weird config file (with the player name "JJ DA KING", the controls already set up, which was weird with always run ON, space bar shooting, shift to open doors/press switches, CTRL shoots and toggles run mode, brightness turned to max, crosshair on)

As for my best memories, let's see:

-When I discovered the bug with kicking with both feet at same time, at the age of 3 or so (back in 1998) and my parents were proud, especially my father as he never found the glitch before and it helped a bit, especially at beginning of Death Row when you have no weapons.
-When I played the game at that age, I was mostly wandering around in the first level of each of 3 episodes, mostly in the starting room. At E3L1 I especially remember just dying underwater and even SAVING THE GAME while dead on ALL the game slots (and this also ruined whatever saves my father had, so we had to start over). Yeah that was another glitch I found, being able to save while dead.
-I was always fascinated by the game's intro demos (E2L8 and E3L3) due to the kickass gameplay shown and it is generally agreed (and even recently talked in another topic) that Dark Side is one of the best levels in the game (with one of the best songs) and I agree with that statement, I really liked Dark Side and how long and an adventurous level it is. As for demos, my only complaint is that the player is just dying on purpose at end of first demo and it also seems it was played on easiest difficulty (see more below) but other than that, I vastly prefer the 1.3D Full demos compared to 1.4/1.5 Atomic demos and the shareware versions demos (1.0, 1.1, 1.3D).
-When I started playing the game seriously, I did play through the first 3 or so levels of each episode (at age of 5 or so) and later (at 6-7) I did manage to finish each episode on my own (after also watching father play), I was playing on Piece of Cake while he was playing on Let's Rock.
-When I discovered the glitch with being able to save game while demo plays and then take control of the demo player upon loading the saved game. I then saw the Dark Side demo is played on POC, while Flood Zone demo is played on LR. I also realized that this way I can skip almost entire Lunar Apocalypse and first two levels of Shrapnel City. I didn't know cheats at that time (yet) but if I wanted to skip some levels, that was the only way I knew at that time.
-I love all 3 original episodes equally and I don't know if just nostalgia but I can't find a single bad level in them. I only wish that E2 secret levels and E3L10 (Tier Drops) were more like E1L6 (Launch Facility) and E3L11 (Freeway), I mean that they feel like normal levels, instead of multiplayer/gimmick type levels. I don't know, just my opinion.
-While I didn't find anything scary at the game, shrinking (at least for the first time) did make me a BIT scared because I was wondering what happened to Duke at that time and why hands show up and can't attack? What happened to the weapons? Then I found shrinking fun and started to note in which levels you could shrink!
-When I (or my father) found Easter Eggs like the Doomed Space Marine, Indiana Jones and others (though I think we missed the Luke Skywalker in E2L7 and also the Star Trek Easter Egg in E2L3), I was impressed to see cameos/crossovers but I think the one I got excited most was in E3L4 (L.A. Rumble) where I read word Quake and Duke said: "I ain't afraid of no Quake!" (although my English was limited at that time) and I quickly realized he is referring to QUAKE game! Turns out I was RIGHT! Although I was too young to realize the rivalry between id software and Apogee/3D Realms (in 1996 where Duke3D vs Quake), I simply guessed because I was ALSO playing a lot of Quake at that time and imagined what if there was a crossover game with Duke Nukem and Quake Guy (Ranger). Of course a Doom and Duke3D crossover sounds like a better crossover (especially for the fact you find DoomGuy's actual corpse in E1L3) but I don't know, as kid I liked Quake way more than Doom mostly because of having more features, it also didn't help in Doom's case I only had THREE different shareware releases (while for Duke and Quake I had full) but then again I also had Doom 2 (1.666 pirated version) to make up for the content I missed in first Doom, I guess.
-When I saw cranes first time in Toxic Dump and was amazed how they also pick up other stuff than the barrels and player. If you kill monsters on the conveyor belt and wait until they reach the main sector (yellow with black stripes), you can see they also get picked up, along with their dropped ammo.
-Related to the above, I decided to start E1 on Come Get Some difficulty (to get more enemies) so I can have as many enemies as possible to kill on conveyor belt and I tried luring every monster I could find, even from later part of level (mostly octabrains) using that teleporter you can access at end of Toxic Dump.
-Then I decided to replay on Damn I'm Good and get EVEN more enemies (as I was thinking initially, though DIG also has a FEW extra enemies in certain levels as far as I know) but then imagine my face when I found out the enemies RESPAWN and then I couldn't even get past E1L1 in this case, so I said "screw it!" and went back to Come Get Some just for first episode. The rest episodes I was still playing on either POC or LR (it wasn't until 2010s when CGS became my main skill for Duke3D).
-Speaking of secret levels, when I was young and watching my father play, I saw he found E1 secret level and E3 secret levels. No one found the E2 secret levels until later when I found Lunatic Fringe for first time. However Spin Cycle I didn't find until either much later or I saw it how to access on YouTube. Or when I discovered another glitch (see more below).
-When I found cheats for first time (thanks to that CHEAT folder in the game's directory that I checked), I was messing around in first episode with Shrinker, Devastator and Freezethrower (I very rarely even used the laser trip mines, they just aren't that useful and they are already placed as traps in certain levels). Interestingly, when I used Devastators against Battlelord, I ACTUALLY found it harder (granted when I was kid I was never dodging, just standing in one place when shooting) because Battlelord immediately starts firing (like when you shoot with chaingun, same applies to Mini Battlelords) and is more aggressive. While with RPG (the intended fight) he sometimes stops firing and mostly just walks around or towards you or starts throwing mines at you.
-Speaking of which, I also remember finding Mini Battlelords difficult even on Piece of Cake, since I didn't dodge, I just sit in one place using Devastator and relied on portable medkit but sometimes I refused to use it during battle and only after I killed one, so sometimes I died and I even remember crying in Lunar Reactor level not only because I keep dying but also because of the level song (which is really cool but also kinda emotional) and I wanted to restart level with pistol but I don't remember how far I got that way, all I remember is I started crying at one part and my father wanted to help me as I told him that those "beasts" keep killing me! However this happened when I was 5 or so years old, sorry if I start remembering events in another order. Bottom line, as kid I couldn't handle mini battlelords very well and that's why I found E2 pretty difficult, at least levels like Occupied Territory and Lunar Reactor! By comparison a longer level like Dark Side was easier as only one Mini Battlelord is found near end of level and there is enough space to handle him.
-The first time I found I can shrink Mini Battlelords! I even showed to my father and he was surprised I found another interesting trick. This happened in the Overlord level when I fired a shrinker shot at the Mini battlelord's feet and it started shrinking. However it was easier to shrink him after weakening him but other than that, I still didn't figure out (until 2010 or so) how exactly it worked and if it was a random chance or not.
-When I saw the cutscenes first time. They were so cool!
-When I was playing Duke Nukem Manhattan Project (back in around 2004-2005) and saw the DNF 2001 trailer first time (which was included on CD), it blew me away! I actually didn't realize it was a new Duke game until a few years later, I was more thinking of a tribute of Duke Nukem.
-When I downloaded cooldemo (from 3D realms website back in 2007) and watched the multiplayer demo (which confused me first time due to name JJ DA KING, didn't realize it was how that CFG was set up and actual player names weren't shown due to a 1.3D bug), I was impressed and I also reminded of that old Doom shareware multiplayer demo that plays in the old v1.666 release. I always wished to play multiplayer in Doom and Duke3D but didn't know how!
-I then discovered a glitch that when loading a saved game while the multiplayer demo plays, sort of an offline multiplayer mode activates and then I can select any level in the game (this is how I found Spin Cycle and Faces of Death, in case of latter that was BEFORE I watched that old YouTube video that showed how to access it with noclip cheat) and then I realized I can play COOP and DM modes! However those other 3 players were stationary, didn't attack at all in DM and they were useless in COOP, they were getting killed by enemies. I was wondering if they are bots and if Duke3D had bots (at that time in 2007 when I found the glitch, I was also playing a lot of Quake 3 Arena, sometimes on multiplayer as well).
-In late 2007 or early 2008, I finally got Atomic Edition although that pirated copy I got was weird because it was running in an old outdated JFDuke3D port, it came with all expansions (and even something like The Gate was included) and they all had a shortcut set up in main directory, if running DUKE3D.EXE directly, it then started with Duke DC replacing first episode, L.A. Meltdown replacing second episode and episodes 3 and 4 remaining same (with episode 5 being USER MAP menu) but Lunar Apocalypse was nowhere to be found? Still I did play through the first two E1 levels like that until I found that "Play Atomic Edition" shortcut and then started the game normally with the episodes 1-4 being normally shown in menu. However like previously, I still had modified ammo amounts on all weapons (222 ammo for pistol, 68 shells for shotgun, 444 bullets for chaingun, etc) and was wondering why is this copy so strangely set up? I played like this and enjoyed The Birth episode although I found it really difficult at times especially the final boss and I was playing on Let's Rock! Oh yeah and since ammo amounts were modified, Devastator and Freezethrower had max ammo 120 which still showed 99/99 on status bar until I selected the weapon and showed 120 ammo on the ammo box. Even with that fully loaded Devastator, the queen survived and I had to shoot a lot more ammo to kill it (I was very low on health at that time but still made it).
-Then I played through Duke DC, Caribbean and NW (after watching those playthroughs on YouTube by someone called Teleemahn or something like that) and I admit I used cheats at times since I didn't feel like playing normally and kept getting stuck in some of the levels. Duke DC still had ammo modified, while Caribbean and NW had normal ammo amounts.
-Then I found about user maps and some sites that had them like Duke Repository and started downloading some of them but I didn't play through any without cheats, with exception of maybe Aqua which was short and not too confusing. Oh yeah I was also trying to download as many maps as possible that contain cranes in them (as I was also fascinated with Derelict and Area 51 containing cranes, while before that I was only limited to Toxic Dump having cranes).
-On yeah, before I got Atomic Edition, I do remember finding a site that showed user maps and trying to play an user map (called WHIRLPOOL or something like that?) and I put it (the MAP file) into my DUKE3D directory, I went to SETUP, selected the user map and when I went to game nothing changed. I tried to see if first level changed and nothing happened. I guess my mistake was I was supposed to use SETUP option Save and Launch Duke3D but I instead started game directly. If I did start the game correctly, the user map may haven't worked or it crashed the game. I wish I could remember!
-Sometime later in 2008 I downloaded a DIFFERENT Atomic Edition which was still using JFDuke3D (and maybe even an included old eduke32 version?) although this time, it was using Software renderer (in initial version I got, it was running in OpenGL/Polymost and looking very ugly), the ammo wasn't modified anymore and it also came with 2 maps included (ANSLEM and newboard). Anslem is probably a known map (made by Robert Travis I think) and newboard was a shitty test map which had a live trooper and overlord sprite on wall. I then continued to look for user maps and play them, after realizing now I have a better Atomic and looking closer to original Duke3D.
-Before I got that second atomic, I actually discovered the modding community (though I remember seeing HRP videos even since 2007 on YouTube) and remember downloading HRP and DukePlus but I couldn't make either of them to work as my 1.3D GRP file wasn't enough and the first pirated atomic DUKE3D.GRP couldn't get recognized by the launcher (so that's why it was modified with ammo, those guys changed the main DUKE3D.GRP file as well) but after I got that second atomic copy, that GRP was probably unaltered and then I could play finally DukePlus mod! I had a lot of fun with it! Though I still didn't manage to get HRP working at that time, either that or my PC wasn't powerful enough. Oh and at that time I didn't realize I was using Software renderer which resulted in the DukePlus weapons (such as Double Barrel Shotgun) showing as giant black boxes!
-I was wondering how the DOS version of Atomic looked (until I finally got it, I only saw some videos on YouTube) and I managed to download back in 2012 (before I got original Atomic CD from eBay, which I sold later after getting Kill a Ton Collection which was much better and including everything), a DOS version of Atomic from some Russian site but then turned out to be a modified 1.7d bootleg, which disappointed me. At that time I also read somewhere of a hacked 1.7 version that had Duke DC added as 5th episode but I was never able to find that particular version and I don't know if they are referring to that pirated jfduke3d that had DC replacing first episode with E1 replacing E2 and modified ammo amounts? Either way sorry if I started talking about pirated versions, that wasn't my intention, bottom line I have come a long way since then and it is still fun to revisit original Duke3D (mostly in DOSBox for the original episodes) every now and then. There are so many high quality maps and mods that it will take me a while to finish all that stuff.

I think that's all I remember and worth saying. If I forgot something, I may make new post later.

This post has been edited by RunningDuke: 20 July 2020 - 09:43 PM

User is offline   king karl 

1. i played the game sittong on my dad's lap and i just hit the spacebar to open doors, i was 3 years old when i got the game
2. i dressed up for duke as halloween one year
3. i could not beat the critical mass level from ep 4 as i was too scared of the crusher walls, the game did a funny thing where when you were crushed it was just hall of mirrors for everything even when you paused. i used cheats to bypass it once and see the final level but using too many cheats also caused weird glitches like frozen enemies or the skybox becoming hall of mirrors....i still have no idea why.
4. i was so utterly terrified of the protozoid slimers i still flinch to this day if one of them gets on my face
5. i had some random levels from somewhere and although they were probably terrible user maps i remember them quite fondly and have never been able to find them since. one of them was like "duke N Donuts", another was "foxtrot" or something and had a deep pit with frozen sprites of duke pasted on the side, and a fat commander in a bathroom. another i'm certain was called "frying pan" and had a ton of odd colored monsters that i loved as i had never seen recolored sprites. no idea what pack these levels was from but i'd love to revisit them
6. i couldn't enter cheats yet as i was too young to read or write but i knew if i loaded a saved game with god mode and then started a new game i would have god mode all throughout
7. i heard someone say the god mode cheat "dnkroz" out loud once and spent a decade trying to enter "dn cross" to no avail
8. i met my best friend in pre school by talking about duke nukem. we decided the octobrains were the children of the overlord for some reason
9. my dad got the overlord stuck in the door by using the button to close it on him, that was our plan to beat him
10. the first time i got to the teleporter in toxic waste my dad paused the game to answer the phone and had to run to his brother's house, i sat for an agonizing half hour looking at that glowing teleport texture and wondered what it did. i was not disappointed
11. i called duke carribbean life's a beach "summer duke" and nuclear winter "winter duke"
12. at the end of episode 3 my best friend and i beat it alone at about 4, we thought "oh what is she doing to duke.....OH she's tickling him!"
13. I called the enforcer "chaingun bird"
14. my favorite level HANDS DOWN was smithsonian terror, no really it was amazing, i love when levels build fake settings that are clearly designed to be fake inside them its so cool.
15. i didn't want to waste ammo for YEARS and spent the entire episode with god mode on kicking enemies to death. then i would use the devestator to kill the last boss....i would literaly play every episode over and over like this
16. one time my dad tried to fit through the windows of rabid transit on the train while it moved. i was terrified and called him an idiot and had to go to sleep without eating that night

This post has been edited by king karl: 26 July 2020 - 07:34 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options