Duke4.net Forums: So, did anyone actually bother porting the PS-exclusives to PC? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So, did anyone actually bother porting the PS-exclusives to PC?  "Maybe they weren't exclusive just to the PS"

User is offline   the_raven 

You know the ones I'm talking about - Time to kill, Zero Hour, Land of the Babes, maybe a few others. For one, I know someone actually ported the DN64 version, granted you have to load each level separately (or I just couldn't figure out how to make them run one after the other, but anyway), but the PS-exclusives? Sure, sure, it'd be too much of a hassle, but did anyone even try? Maybe some kind of reimagining? I remember someone on this very forum tried remaking DN1 in Build Engine...

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Small nitpick, Zero Hour was a N64 game not on the PS1.

Time to Kill and Land of the Babes aren't on the Build Engine. Hence a TC like the ones for DN64 and Total Meltdown isn't possible. You would either have to reverse engineer the game and write your own engine for it, or you would take the game's assets and essentially remake it from the ground up.

Zero Hour is on the Build Engine and could theoretically be ported to eduke32 but hardcoded game logic would have to be rewritten as CON code.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I heard 3D Realms was "trying" to port them to PC back when they had the rights to the previous games.

But all those plans are most certainly dead since they lost the rights to Gearbox.

User is offline   t800 

Am I mistanken here? I recall levels from Zero Hour succesfully exported into Duke3D format and other resources like sounds, textures and models too.
So you would just need to emulate game logic trough CON coding, right? Surprised nobody attempted recreation in Eduke32 similar to Duke64 and Total Meltdown.

There aren't many people with those skills and most of them were busy working on Ion Fury :(

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Yes, Zero Hour was operating in a highly modified Build engine.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Postt800, on 28 August 2019 - 02:10 AM, said:

Am I mistanken here? I recall levels from Zero Hour succesfully exported into Duke3D format and other resources like sounds, textures and models too.
So you would just need to emulate game logic trough CON coding, right? Surprised nobody attempted recreation in Eduke32 similar to Duke64 and Total Meltdown.

Programming is the single hardest part of game design in technical terms. Without it you have nothing. Some can do it, fewer can do it well.

It's not just that you need a CON coder, ideally you want a CON coder who also knows MIPS assembly.

User is offline   t800 

You know, it is matter of approach. You can either tackle this issue as Fox, thus 100% perfection to smallest bits. Or you can just make things look and work similar by look and try. I would gladly settle for 2nd method. Something imperfect is still better than nothing. It is like Blood CM back then. I was very thankful to m210, even if it was not authentic. You could almost say it proved as inspiration for later more succesful projects. :(

User is online   Mark 

Yep. As flawed as they were, I'm glad that I was able to play the older games without Dosbox. ( ERampage, SWP, BloodTC )

This post has been edited by Mark: 29 August 2019 - 04:48 AM

SWP is an actual port though, just that it's outdated relative to the state of Duke and Blood.

User is online   Mark 

I was responding to the previous post to mine about an imperfect but playable version is better than none. I agree.
Not everyone agrees with that according to the previous times the subject has been discussed.

This post has been edited by Mark: 29 August 2019 - 06:06 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Fox was the mastermind behind the N64 and Total Meltdown conversions. If anyone knows what a Zero Hour conversion would entail, it would be him. Hope he can chime in on this thread.

I believe he said he's not interested in it.

User is offline   Kerr Avon 

Duke Nukem: Zero Hour is a great game. It's basically everything that Duke Nukem Forever isn't, being very enjoyable to play, having levels that are interesting to play through, actually getting the character of Duke and the humour of his world correct, and the different time periods are well reflected in the environments' details. It's the sequel that DNF wasn't.

On the minus side, the game lacks a mid-level checkpoint system (which is annoying in the longer levels) since like most early console bases shooters you can only save between levels, there are a few miss-and-you-die jumps (I hate these, but there are less than half a dozen, and they're not hard to pass successfully), and since we're talking mid 90s hardware then the graphics and frame-rate won't please a lot of modern gamers, though of course that wouldn't apply to a PC based port of the game.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options