Duke4.net Forums: FPS Sports mods? - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

FPS Sports mods?  "Let's discuss the possibilities"

User is online   Sanek 

#1

We made tons of TC's over the years. For the most part, it was the same old Duke3d with a couple of new features. Some authors branched out, however, to other genres - we saw horror games, platformers, rpg-like games, racing games, some downright experimental stuff. There's no shortage of unsual use of the old Build engine.
However, one genre that's somewhat neglected here is sports simulators. Of course, we have that crap of a game called Extreme Paintbrawl, but it doesn't really count because it's essentially the same old shooter, a glorified Duke mod with MP as a main feature.

What I'm talking about is a simulation of sports such as soccer or hockey - games when you have to interact with other players. Afaik, there's no mods like this for Duke3D. Is it because it's hard to make actors/bots act in a certain way? Or because nobody's really interested?

Idk, but I think it will be very interesting to see if stuff like this can be made in Build. I understand that it's hard to make a good believable simulation on the engine that have barely any physics to speak of. However, if it's possible to make it can be made fast. Or maybe not.

Let's look at pros and cons of making such simulator. Let's take basketball as example - I think it's more easy to make than soccer.

Pros:

1. Budget and doesn't need lots of custom artwork. All you need is a couple of new textures and only one character that will have different colors.

2. You don't have to make tons of new maps - just one map will be enough, obviously.

3. If you make basketball sim, player can pick up the ball just like a weapon in other build games - I think it's easier to implement than hockey puck.

4. Replayability, if you like the game.

Cons:

1. Actors behavior. Is it possible to make bots act like this? Will it be smart enough to throw the ball in a certain way, pass the ball to me or vice versa? I think it's the biggest problem here.

2. Will it look good in a first person mode?


So what do you think guys?
Is there anyone who's interested in making a sprite-based, first-person sports simulator?
Will you be interested in playing sports sumulators on Build engine?
I don't imply that I want to make such stuff right now, but I'm certainly interested in participating in making of it, if there's anyone interested.
0

User is offline   Micky C 

  • Honored Donor

#2

I just can’t see anything like this looking or playing well to be honest.

The engine can be quite versatile, and there’s been (unfinished) mods that emulate mine craft through to real time strategy as grand theft auto. However, I think this particular genre is too far separated from what Build is designed to do.

If anything could be made, it’d just be a curiosity or novelty, nothing long-term. Many people wouldn’t want to put in the effort to make a novelty.
0

User is online   Sanek 

#3

Yeah, I tried to imagine how it would look in the game, and it looked awkward too. Although the novelty aspect can be considered as a challange to tcoder, and there sure will be some initial interest to such unusual mod.

Hey, what adout dodgeball-like game? Image the battles when there's like 4-8 players, and you have to run around the field, evading the ball, then pick it up trying to hit your opponents? Sounds like fun to me!

This post has been edited by Sanek: 27 August 2019 - 05:58 AM

0

User is offline   blizzart 

#4

Have a look here: https://forums.duke4...h__1#entry12488

Maybe it can help.
0

#5

I remember somebody had made some sort of "Free Run" mod, where the goal is to run past obstacles, and wall-jumps in order to reach the end as fast as you can.
The guy had even made videos about it.
I think it's called "FreeRunner"

0

User is offline   blizzart 

#6

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 27 August 2019 - 10:49 AM, said:

I remember somebody had made some sort of "Free Run" mod, where the goal is to run past obstacles, and wall-jumps in order to reach the end as fast as you can.
The guy had even made videos about it.
I think it's called "FreeRunner"


Yes, it was a project by DavoX, Geoffrey and DepperThought (https://www.moddb.com/mods/freerunner). Too bad, that this was never released.
0

User is online   Sanek 

#7

View Postblizzart, on 27 August 2019 - 09:42 AM, said:

Have a look here: https://forums.duke4...h__1#entry12488

Maybe it can help.

Oh, didn't know about that. Mblackwell did it! Wonder if he still have the project after 10 years!

Anyway...I think that the idea that I just suggested a couple of post above is worth exploring. I'd say that if there'll be someone who is interested in coding the prototype to see how it works and if it looks good, I'll even invest my own money in artwork for it, because the idea of sprite-based sports game looks super-cheap to me.
0

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#8

View Postblizzart, on 27 August 2019 - 11:01 AM, said:

Yes, it was a project by DavoX, Geoffrey and DepperThought (https://www.moddb.com/mods/freerunner). Too bad, that this was never released.


I don't recall Geoffrey being involved in it? If he was, it was to a small degree. Freerunner was essentially using DukePlus movement features (mantling and wall jumping), jump pads, and a few climbing things I added with a few physics tweaks, and some kickass maps by DavoX where you had to parkour your way through them. His maps were damned hard, too. It was basically Kaizo Duke.

DavoX did most of the work.
0

#9

There is a chance that I'll do some sport-related mod/content for the next year. No spoilers atm ;)
0

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

#10

Mods that take a game and throw it into the furthest possible genre rendering it almost unrecognizable fascinate the hell outta me.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 28 August 2019 - 02:04 AM

0

User is offline   Commando Nukem 

  • Judge Mental

#11

Would it be any fun though?


I think about it, and I can only answer "no."

Would it be novel? Oh yes. Would it make an interesting conversation piece? Absolutely. Would it make a good game experience? Probably not.

Then again i'm with the AVGN on sports games: "I'm not a fan."
0

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

#12

I'm usually not a fan of sports games either but I would play it just to see what was done.


Besides I don't think it's impossible for it to be done well. This community has pulled off some pretty crazy things before. I think a legitimately good sports mod could be made (especially if multiplayer is ever properly fixed in eDuke)
0

User is offline   Photonic 

#13

View PostNinety-Six, on 28 August 2019 - 02:04 AM, said:

Mods that take a game and throw it into the furthest possible genre rendering it almost unrecognizable fascinate the hell outta me.


Someone should do a birds eye view rpg-esque Duke Nukem TC in Build
Spoiler


This post has been edited by Photonic: 29 August 2019 - 02:41 PM

0

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

#14

View PostPhotonic, on 29 August 2019 - 02:39 PM, said:

Someone should do a birds eye view rpg-esque Duke Nukem TC in Build
Spoiler



i mean why not


what is modding if not an excuse to indulge in weird novelties?
0

#15

Personally, the only sports mod for EDuke32 that would both interest me, and have me have fun, would be either a Formula One mod or an Indie Car Series mod ^^
Somebody has already coded a motorbike, therefore a MotoGP mod is also possible.


However the biggest problem of such mods would be AI. It would have to be ballanced and, most importantly, take the player's presence into account in order not to bash into him/her and send him/her in the decor >_>
Because having no AI would mean it's a Time Trial only mod, and for a racing game that would be quickly boring.


This post has been edited by TheDragonLiner: 29 August 2019 - 10:07 PM

0

User is online   Sanek 

#16

View PostNinety-Six, on 29 August 2019 - 12:52 PM, said:

I'm usually not a fan of sports games either but I would play it just to see what was done.


Besides I don't think it's impossible for it to be done well. This community has pulled off some pretty crazy things before. I think a legitimately good sports mod could be made (especially if multiplayer is ever properly fixed in eDuke)


Speaking of multiplayer - I wouldn't count on it, as it's still not fixed after all these years. Also it's very hard to find online players for Duke3d to begin with, for mods it's almost impossible. I'd say that the mod must be a good single-player game to begin with.

Yeah, there is a huge possibility that it won't be any good, and sure it won't be even remotely as fun as a shooter game, but I think it all comes down to a good presentation. If you add stuff such as gore, arcade elements (I'm not presuming we talk about true-to-life simulations), maybe add a couple of voxels here and there, you can have a geniuenly good game here.

You know what - I've been seriously thinking about this, and I actually try to do something in this area next year, as soon as I finish my current projects. B)
0

User is offline   Commando Nukem 

  • Judge Mental

#17

View PostSanek, on 30 August 2019 - 01:09 AM, said:

Speaking of multiplayer - I wouldn't count on it, as it's still not fixed after all these years. Also it's very hard to find online players for Duke3d to begin with, for mods it's almost impossible. I'd say that the mod must be a good single-player game to begin with.

Yeah, there is a huge possibility that it won't be any good, and sure it won't be even remotely as fun as a shooter game, but I think it all comes down to a good presentation. If you add stuff such as gore, arcade elements (I'm not presuming we talk about true-to-life simulations), maybe add a couple of voxels here and there, you can have a geniuenly good game here.

You know what - I've been seriously thinking about this, and I actually try to do something in this area next year, as soon as I finish my current projects. B)


Fix it, package it, make a huge announcement across the internet, get people interested again.

"Come try the most badass multiplayer experience of all time...!"
"Hundreds of mods, thousands of mods."
"Kick your friends ass, and chew their bubble gum!"
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options