Duke4.net Forums: Announcing: Project Blue Skies - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Announcing: Project Blue Skies  "A new mod in development by Diehard and Mblackwell"

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Project Blue Skies

2201 A.D.

Deep space exploration and planet colonization has become a reality. Though few planets have atmospheres matching Earth, advanced terraforming
projects have allowed the transformation of many nearly dead planets into new homes. Planet X33-72 was settled 50 years ago as a center for quiet civilian life, as well as serving a dual role as a research facility. Recently it has also become a center of archeological activity; new discoveries show it to have once been the possible home of an alien civilization, although evidence isn't yet conclusive.

You play the role of a low level security officer. You live and work in the colony, leading a fairly mundane life. On August 7th a surge causes a fault in the main power array resulting in part of the control systems going into lock down, and leading to an apparent disruption in communication with the personnel in the generator facility. You are the only staff member available to investigate.

Features:
* A large and vibrant colony with all of the expected facilities and people.
* Click-To-Use: Similar to Prey, simply click on any person, item, or button that you wish to interact with.
* Real-time cutscenes and scripted events that unfold before your eyes.
* Full recorded dialog (with subtitles) and NPC interaction.
* NPC's have paths and go about their own tasks.
* An Objectives/Quests/Goals system with a mouse-driven GUI.
* A faux full-body-awareness system to increase immersion.
* A brand new musical score.

Progress:

Maps: 50%
Code: 65%
Art: 70%
Sound: 25%

Average: 52.5%

Screenshots:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

more shots:
http://img134.images...ge=35955673.jpg
http://img151.images...ge=35112872.jpg
http://img151.images...ge=50899457.jpg
http://img151.images...ge=33565575.jpg
http://img134.images...ge=21772284.jpg

You can help us! We are in need of a modeler, specifically someone able to rig and animate characters. Please let us know as soon as possible if you would be able to help. We've been working for the past 3-4 months and have made excellent progress; this is our only area of
concern.

This post has been edited by Mblackwell: 03 June 2009 - 08:36 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

If you had to place this game in a genre, what would it be? Survival horror?

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Scratch this post. I'm half Asleep. :)

This post has been edited by The Commander: 03 June 2009 - 06:54 AM

User is offline   Cage 

Looks great except that it's too much gray :) to much gray with similar lightness makes it look boring and the details get lost in it.

It's going to be plain 32-bit or polymer?

User is offline   diehard 

View PostDeeperThought, on Jun 3 2009, 10:45 AM, said:

If you had to place this game in a genre, what would it be? Survival horror?

More or less survival horror, its definitely not all out shooter. You must search for ammo and supplies and it has alot of adventure elements in it.

Agreed it is very grey but there are a couple of reasons behind that. Those shots are mostly taken from the same section of the complex where the section as the same look and feel. Also it is a futuristic colony so alot of the corridors and rooms will be dark and gloomy. Don't worry there are sections that will have plenty of color and life.

View PostCage, on Jun 3 2009, 11:11 AM, said:

Looks great except that it's too much gray :) to much gray with similar lightness makes it look boring and the details get lost in it.

It's going to be plain 32-bit or polymer?

32-bit right now but hopefully at some point will be with polymer. But we are getting this done at a very good pace so it maybe released to soon for polymer.

User is offline   Spiker 

Interesting project but these screens don't show any of the new features, enemies or weapons.

View PostSpiker, on Jun 3 2009, 12:14 PM, said:

Interesting project but these screens don't show any of the new features, enemies or weapons.

Yep there is a reason for that. We have the weapons done, and the enemies basically done. Alot of the features have been implemented too, but we didn't want to show anything until it was basically done. We are doing this find a modeler to help us complete the project our original intent was to not really show anything until it was done.

User is offline   supergoofy 

It's looking awesome :)

I hope that you will finish it and not abandon it.

It seems that there are some amazing projects on the works the last year. I like that :D

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 03 June 2009 - 08:43 AM

User is offline   Ramen4ever 

I'm definitely interested. Though I hate bland gloomy gray corridors. Future Station Designs wouldn't actually be all bland gray irl. As psychological affects of interior colors actually play a part in interior design. But hey, your project, your choice. I'd throw in some storage shelves with color binders and folders and the such.

User is offline   Sangman 

View PostCage, on Jun 3 2009, 05:11 PM, said:

Looks great except that it's too much gray :D to much gray with similar lightness makes it look boring and the details get lost in it.

This.. It looks neatly designed but the colours are not that interesting, apart from some computer monitors and those cool looking areas with the red sky.. But even there I find that the dark brown/grey and the really bright and outspoken red makes for an odd mix.

Also, a progress meter? That's so 2002 :) :D

Still I'll be looking forward to this and hope it'll get released :D

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

Screenshots look good.
So what genre would you class this in?

• Evil Overlord

View Postzchri9, on Jun 3 2009, 04:31 PM, said:

Screenshots look good.
So what genre would you class this in?

View Postdiehard, on Jun 3 2009, 10:52 AM, said:

More or less survival horror, its definitely not all out shooter. You must search for ammo and supplies and it has alot of adventure elements in it.

View PostRamen4ever, on Jun 3 2009, 12:58 PM, said:

I'm definitely interested. Though I hate bland gloomy gray corridors. Future Station Designs wouldn't actually be all bland gray irl. As psychological affects of interior colors actually play a part in interior design. But hey, your project, your choice. I'd throw in some storage shelves with color binders and folders and the such.

View PostSangman, on Jun 3 2009, 02:18 PM, said:

This.. It looks neatly designed but the colours are not that interesting, apart from some computer monitors and those cool looking areas with the red sky.. But even there I find that the dark brown/grey and the really bright and outspoken red makes for an odd mix.

View Postdiehard, on Jun 3 2009, 10:52 AM, said:

Agreed it is very grey but there are a couple of reasons behind that. Those shots are mostly taken from the same section of the complex where the section as the same look and feel. Also it is a futuristic colony so alot of the corridors and rooms will be dark and gloomy. Don't worry there are sections that will have plenty of color and life.

View PostSangman, on Jun 3 2009, 02:18 PM, said:

Also, a progress meter? That's so 2002 :) :D

Still I'll be looking forward to this and hope it'll get released :D

That was just meant as a quick representation of how far we actually are (and how much we're NOT showing) so people don't think this is a recently started and half-assed project and be more inclined to help. Because we really do need a modeler/animator.

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

A faux full-body-awareness system to increase immersion.

Is that proper FBA? Getting knocked over etc?
For modelers and animators why don't you ask some of the HRP guys?

This post has been edited by zchri9: 03 June 2009 - 03:19 PM

• Evil Overlord

View Postzchri9, on Jun 3 2009, 06:18 PM, said:

Is that proper FBA? Getting knocked over etc?

At the moment it's not a complete FBA system, but as you look around you'll see the perspective shift on your hands and arms and be able to see your feet as you walk (as long as you look straight down at them). There's also view bob as you walk, and the camera/view sways as you move the mouse left and right, and as you strafe. It's basically what you might expect from a more modern game.

This post has been edited by Mblackwell: 03 June 2009 - 03:39 PM

View Postzchri9, on Jun 3 2009, 07:18 PM, said:

We would love one of the HRP guys to help out, and if any are interested please let us know! but it doesn't really matter we are just looking for some help.

This post has been edited by diehard: 03 June 2009 - 04:07 PM

User is offline   chicken 

• Fashionable Modeler

What kind of stuff would need, characters i assume?
Soldiers, monsters, civilians? And which animations?
I'd like to have some more info.

View Postchicken, on Jun 4 2009, 04:35 AM, said:

What kind of stuff would need, characters i assume?
Soldiers, monsters, civilians? And which animations?
I'd like to have some more info.

We have a bunch of models already implemented but we are still in need of some basic props. We also have some character models that need some work and some that need created. We have our monster model almost complete but it needs finished. We have NPC models basically finished that need tweaking.

• Fashionable Modeler

basic props sounds good.
can you pm me a list?

View Postchicken, on Jun 4 2009, 09:06 AM, said:

basic props sounds good.
can you pm me a list?

Sent!

User is offline   XenoMatriX 

View Postdiehard, on Jun 4 2009, 02:00 PM, said:

We have a bunch of models already implemented but we are still in need of some basic props. We also have some character models that need some work and some that need created. We have our monster model almost complete but it needs finished. We have NPC models basically finished that need tweaking.

I'd also be able to props etc, I can make more complex models like characters etc but I'm useless at animating so they would be static until someone else can do it.
Anyway if you could send me the list aswell I'll see what I can do

This post has been edited by XenoMatriX: 07 June 2009 - 08:08 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I made a bunch of tech panels and display screens in the HRP so I always pay close attention to those in games. You have some very good looking ones. Are any of them animated?

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

Any more progress on Project Blue Skies yet?
It's good to see you're getting some people to make those models/animations for you.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by zchri9: 07 June 2009 - 06:14 PM

User is offline   escapist 

View Postdiehard, on Jun 3 2009, 05:06 PM, said:

We would love one of the HRP guys to help out...

hey, the gang's all here! :)

pls. PM me a list and we'll get this party started!

• Fashionable Modeler

View Postescapist, on Jun 7 2009, 09:14 PM, said:

Dude! You're back!
That's good to see.

View PostMarked, on Jun 7 2009, 08:38 PM, said:

I made a bunch of tech panels and display screens in the HRP so I always pay close attention to those in games. You have some very good looking ones. Are any of them animated?

Thanks! Most aren't animated at this time.

View PostXenoMatriX, on Jun 7 2009, 12:06 PM, said:

I'd also be able to props etc, I can make more complex models like characters etc but I'm useless at animating so they would be static until someone else can do it.
Anyway if you could send me the list aswell I'll see what I can do

I just PM'd you.

View Postescapist, on Jun 8 2009, 01:14 AM, said:

PM'd you as well.

User is offline   Loke 

Sounds very interesting, good luck with it.

Wish I could help but I only have experience with the map editor.

View PostLoke, on Jun 8 2009, 08:47 AM, said:

Sounds very interesting, good luck with it.

Wish I could help but I only have experience with the map editor.

Thanks! Yeah unfortunately we don't need any mappers at this point.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options