Duke4.net Forums: The Matrix corner - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Matrix corner  ""The Matrix 4" officially announced"

I'm a big fan of the trilogy, even though the franchise felt like two movies if you put Reloaded + Revolutions together. Thought I'd share this announcement that Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss are returning for a 4th entry. No word on Laurence Fishburne or Hugo Weaving yet.

Full article here.

What are your thoughts on the franchise and the upcoming sequel? I'm glad it's a sequel and not a reboot, as there is lots to explore in that universe.

--
From Variety:

"Get ready to re-enter the Matrix.

Lana Wachowski is set to write and direct a fourth film set in the world of “The Matrix,” with Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss reprising their roles as Neo and Trinity, respectively. Warner Bros. Pictures and Village Roadshow Pictures will produce and globally distribute the film. Warner Bros. Picture Group chairman Toby Emmerich made the announcement on Tuesday.

“We could not be more excited to be re-entering ‘The Matrix’ with Lana,” said Emmerich. “Lana is a true visionary — a singular and original creative filmmaker — and we are thrilled that she is writing, directing and producing this new chapter in ‘The Matrix’ universe.”

In addition to Wachowski, the script was also written by Aleksandar Hemon and David Mitchell. Wachowski is also producing with Grant Hill. Sources say the film is eyed to begin production at the top of 2020."

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I was dreading the reboot. I'm down if Keanu and a Wachowski are onboard for a sequel.

Strange that Fishburne is not confirmed and Carrie-Ann and Keanu are. The latter two died in the last movie and Morpheus was still alive (though I guess he died in the Matrix Online MMO continuity?).

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 22 August 2019 - 11:42 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Matrix series was enjoyable but too confusing to me. I had to ignore a lot of the technobabble and just mindlessly enjoy it.

I'm more excited about a Constantine sequel than Matrix.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 22 August 2019 - 11:42 AM, said:

I was dreading the reboot. I'm down if Keanu and a Wachowski are onboard for a sequel.

Same. Lana Wachowski is back but not Lilly. I'm sure Fishburne and others will be back too. For Neo and Trinity to be alive, they could go with the "matrix within matrix" theory. That would also clarify why Neo can use his powers outside of the Matrix. Hard to predict.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Oh boy! Finally a sequel to MATRIX !

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Its going to start with a flashback scene of Neo seeing Trinity die but an added line of her saying how she got him a dog to help him cope.

Back to present day Matrix, machines find where Neo has been hiding and kill his dog.

He then goes on a killing spree murdering the entire Matrix.

User is offline   Jeff 

Wait, how is Neo and Trinity in this if they died in the movie?

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, I have no idea. The Matrix within a Matrix idea is super lame, but whatever. If that's what it is I'll take it to see s'more Neo action.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

So are they the Wachowski brothers, or the Wachowski sisters at this point?

User is offline   Loke 

View PostRadar, on 26 August 2019 - 01:14 PM, said:

The Wachowskis.

View PostRadar, on 26 August 2019 - 01:14 PM, said:

Yes

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 26 August 2019 - 01:57 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

But only one is working on this sequel.

John Toll will be the cinematographer. Was hoping for the original cinematographer, Bill Pope, but there was apparently a falling out on Revolutions and hasn't worked with the Wachowskis since.

User is offline   Kerr Avon 

The first film was fantastic, the other two were mostly bad aside from a few good scenes. Hugo Weaving was brilliant, but he couldn't carry the two sequels.

Still, hopefully with this new film the writers will have had time to write a good, proper, well thought-out script. To me, the Matrix 2 and 3 felt like they didn't have much too say and were rushed out to capitalise on the huge popularity of the first film.

Two teaser trailers have arrived. Full Trailer in 2 days:
https://thechoiceisyours.whatisthematrix.com/uk/My link

• The Sarien Encounter

Interesting thing to note is that the trailer is slightly different every time you watch it and they also recorded lines for every single minute of the day (AM and PM) depending on what time it is when you watch it.

I'm up for some action. I didn't like the Matrix sequels as much as the first one but I still liked them. I'm onboard.

User is offline   Mark 

I would rather see a Constantine sequel.

Honestly, i don't care about the new Matrix. Revolutions finished the story and i don't see the point of another one.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 07 September 2021 - 10:40 PM

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostMark, on 07 September 2021 - 06:54 PM, said:

I would rather see a Constantine sequel.

Word.

User is offline   Malgon 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 07 September 2021 - 05:52 PM, said:

Interesting thing to note is that the trailer is slightly different every time you watch it and they also recorded lines for every single minute of the day (AM and PM) depending on what time it is when you watch it.

I'm up for some action. I didn't like the Matrix sequels as much as the first one but I still liked them. I'm onboard.

That is pretty neat how they did that. Don't think I've seen that before.

• The Sarien Encounter

Hah one of the frame stills shows Neo walking in front of a shop called "Simulatte" with vertical green neon lights in the sign. I'm guessing everyone in the Matrix now knows it's a simulation and just accept it. Interesting to see what that world would look like.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

I actually rewatched the original film again a few weeks ago and felt it didn't hold up at all. But I realize a huge part of is how influential it has been, so a lot of what seems dated is from seeing it in other things. But man, the late 90s techno playing in every scene is so lame now, as well as Keanu's deadpan acting. Machines harvesting humans as an energy source wut? Just the forced profundity of it all is goofy as fuck. The other sequels I thought were garbage even when they came out.

Full trailer is out!

If you slow the playback speed, you'll see brief glimpses of machines working on Neo's body at the end of Revolutions, indicating this could be the same Neo from the original trilogy.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

So basically, they are doing the first movie again, at least judging from what you can see in the trailer.

That raises a few questions, like:
- How come Neo and Trinity are still/again alive after what happened in Revolutions?
- The machines took control again after there was peace, just like that? (OK, it was indicated at the end of Revolutions this might eventually happen.)
- Neo is John Wick now? (I mean, the visual similarities are in your face.)
- Morpheus did the Oracle thing from Revolutions and got a new form?

I mean, I am still curious about this, but right now I see a big danger of this being little more than a remake with even fancier special effects. Might fall into the same trap as any movie series: You can't beat the first part.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 09 September 2021 - 11:00 PM

User is offline   jkas789 

From what I have read on forum threads, now that Morpheus is dead/different/whatever it means the matrix online game is canon now.

User is offline   Malgon 

Hmm, after watching the trailer it felt kind of off, and not quite the vibe the Matrix has imo. I'll probably still check it out but can't say I'm really pumped to see it.

• The Sarien Encounter

I thought the trailer was incredible. Better than I expected it to be. My theory is that Neo knows exactly who and what he is and remembers everything but is choosing to take blue pills. I don't believe this will be a repeat at all. It's got plenty of callbacks for sure, but I don't believe this is another "reawakening" story from start to finish. The Wachowskis were anything but repetitive. They took the sequels into a completely different atmosphere and direction (which is why so many didn't like it because it wasn't like the original). I don't believe Larry/Lana is going to stoop to just rehashing now. I'm expecting new things for sure. I believe the trailer is intentionally misleading to make you expect something else to subvert your expectations later (for better or for worse).

I also don't believe the machines are "still in charge". At the end of Revolutions Oracle asked Architect what would happen to the ones who want out and he said "obviously they'll be freed". In the trailer it shows the power plant and many of the alcoves are empty so it seems they're holding to that. I expect the relationship is kind of a symbiotic one based on convenience. A sort of "scorpion and the fox" sort of thing with tensions building. But I don't believe the machines went back on their word. Oracle asked Architect "do I have your word on that?" and he said "What do you think I am? Human?". No, they'll keep their word.

Some things I noticed, when Trinity is screaming in that one shot with multiple versions of her appearing on either side, some of those faces aren't Carrie Ann Moss's. Also Neo looks in the mirror and sees another face morphing in and out. Some theorize that Neo and Trinity are possessing humans like Agents do and their physical bodies aren't alive anymore. Nu-Morpheus says to Neo that he's still here because the one thing he cares about is still here (Trinity). Perhaps he created Trinity inside the Matrix with the powers of The One. Then again, that face in the mirror looks an AWFUL lot like Hugo Weaving as well as Neo's blind lifeless body being worked on by machines in the quick cut....who knows.

Another thing....I didn't see much "green hue" anywhere. Typically when inside the Matrix there's a green hue over everything (I know this technically wasn't true in the theatrical release but it's been used constantly since). The scene with psychiatrist has very strong vibrant colours instead of the dull look with a green tint overlay. Also, everywhere seems to look a lot nicer than in The Matrix. I wonder if that has something to do with what the Architect said about how the "first Matrix was perfect" and it didn't take. But a flawed Matrix was something humanity could accept more, which is why the world of the Matrix was so dumpy looking. So I wonder if with the truce there was a change back to perfection to allow humans even more room to not accept the programming and want to leave. Anyway, just theories. I'm liking that I'm theorizing again.

The action looks incredible and the choice of music was perfect especially when it melds with epic Matrix-style orchestration. That backdoor/hallway/"portal" sequence was crazy. The trailer is no guarantee it's going to be good, but the trailer is better than it has any right to be in my opinion. I'm optimistic and I'm going to see it day one.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 10 September 2021 - 06:52 AM

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 10 September 2021 - 06:49 AM, said:

Also, everywhere seems to look a lot nicer than in The Matrix. I wonder if that has something to do with what the Architect said about how the "first Matrix was perfect" and it didn't take. But a flawed Matrix was something humanity could accept more, which is why the world of the Matrix was so dumpy looking. So I wonder if with the truce there was a change back to perfection to allow humans even more room to not accept the programming and want to leave. Anyway, just theories. I'm liking that I'm theorizing again.

The action looks incredible and the choice of music was perfect especially when it melds with epic Matrix-style orchestration. That backdoor/hallway/"portal" sequence was crazy. The trailer is no guarantee it's going to be good, but the trailer is better than it has any right to be in my opinion. I'm optimistic and I'm going to see it day one.

Wasn't the new Matrix full color at the end of Revolutions?

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 10 September 2021 - 08:00 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Good point.

View PostMike Norvak, on 10 September 2021 - 08:00 AM, said:

Wasn't the new Matrix full color at the end of Revolutions?

Correct. We're seeing the 7th Matrix seen at the end of Revolutions - which the little girl (can't remember her name) wrote a sun program. It creates a more hospitable Matrix, perhaps to encourage those inside to stay.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options