Duke4.net Forums: Prey Not To Use Authentication - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Prey Not To Use Authentication

User is offline   avatar_58 

Tim Gerritsen said:

Though we very much wanted to include online authentication for the retail release of Prey, we made the very recent decision to remove it due to technical difficulties in implementing it in time for our public release.  Therefore we will not be including any online authentication with the retail release of Prey.  This does not in any way affect and has nothing to do with our commitment to release Prey through online digital distribution via the Triton streaming system.  Both the online demo and the final release of Prey will be available via Triton.

There you have it.

User is offline   Cerberus_e 

Technical difficulties rock :)

It's funny though, it's the reason I got banned B)

http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showpost.php...14&postcount=24

Is he talking about the demo? It's posted in the demo thread apparently

Yep I guess so. If it was the game then there would probably be a press release.

Then you can tell SyntaxN the truth, he seems to be mislead :)

Although this might mean future Human Head efforts require authentication, maybe even 3DR's games.

Let's hope a potential Prey expansion does not, otherwise the full thing (main game + all expansions) won't be completely without authentication.
But this situation, even though I got banned, had one advantage: As soon as the next Human Head or 3D Realms game is announced, I'll immediately keep in my mind that the game will have on line authentication, instead of getting excited only to be crushed at the end.
If this situation hadn't occured we would've been surprised the next time instead.

EAgames has expansions for Battlefield 2 that require online distrubution (despite the full game in retail) so anything is possible.

However I don't know about you, but I don't feel as bad if an expansion doesn't work in 10 years as opposed to the entire game. :) Least we know Prey itself is safe.

I see expansions as worthy phenomenals. For example, I like Half-Life: Blueshift :)

You aren't going to start a laffer are you :) You don't *need* everything that has to do with the game. I own quite a few games without their expansions and it doesn't bother me in the least. If an expansion is worth my time, I'll get it.

I honestly won't lose sleep over expansions considering many of them (blue shift for one) rarely include enough content to even warrent the price. To make blue shift worth it they had to bundle Opfor and the HD-pack.

Thats why I waited so long for Battle out of Hell too.....it just wasn't worth the full price.

User is offline   laffer 

Hey, of course you need everything that has to do with a game! Not only expansions but also ports and all that :eek:
I guess I should try to change how I feel about that though, it keeps me from buying some excellent games since I can't find all the games in the series/all the expansions/all the ports of them.

The first step to a solution is admitting you have a problem. :)

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

Cerberus_e, on Jun 21 2006, 12:20 AM, said:

It's funny though, it's the reason I got banned :)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If just this was confirmed a little earlyer... B) B)

avatar_58, on Jun 21 2006, 04:58 AM, said:

You aren't going to start a laffer are you B) You don't *need* everything that has to do with the game. I own quite a few games without their expansions and it doesn't bother me in the least. If an expansion is worth my time, I'll get it.

No, you are overlooking the fact that if I buy a Prey expansion pack, I actually PAID for it. So I want it guaranteed that it will still work in 10 years because I PAID for it.

Also, I'm not playing expansions for the sake of playing them, but because I like them.

laffer, on Jun 21 2006, 05:58 AM, said:

I guess I should try to change how I feel about that though, it keeps me from buying some excellent games since I can't find all the games in the series/all the expansions/all the ports of them.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed, you are missing out on Sin, 200th decennium's best first person shooter :)

Micki!, on Jun 21 2006, 12:22 PM, said:

If just this was confirmed a little earlyer... B) B)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What confirmed? That Prey wouldn't use authentication?
What difference would it make if it was confirmed earlir? I'd stay banned B)
Maybe I should challenge Joe with Prey demo deathmatch 1 vs 1. And if I win he has to unban me. If he wins he doesn't have to.

Cerberus_e, on Jun 21 2006, 01:29 PM, said:

No, you are overlooking the fact that if I buy a Prey expansion pack, I actually PAID for it. So I want it guaranteed that it will still work in 10 years because I PAID for it.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't caps your letters at me young man, I was the original authentication basher you know. :) I know the ups and downs, my point was just that I will sleep better knowing the main game is sans-auth, expansions aren't a concern for me right now.

I know your point, but you offended me by calling me names (a Laffer), so I had to defend myself :)

Cerberus_e, on Jun 21 2006, 01:34 PM, said:

I know your point, but you offended me by calling me names (a Laffer), so I had to defend myself :)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, point taken. None of us wants to be called a 'laffer'. B)

By the way, I just read it wasn't Human Head's decision, but 3D Realms their decision and Take2's as well.
I also read some people are replying: "I was hoping they'd keep the authentication in". Huh? I genuinely don't understand that. Now, I can see why people aren't affected by the disadvantages of on line authentication, but now people are actually PREFERRING it? That needs an explanation :)

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

Cerberus_e, on Jun 21 2006, 08:29 PM, said:

What confirmed? That Prey wouldn't use authentication?
What difference would it make if it was confirmed earlir? I'd stay banned :)

Well, you got banned because of the discussion you made about the online authentication... Now, if it was confirmed earlyer that it wouldn't be used, you woudln't have been part of such a discussion at all, and Joe wouldn't have banned you...

At least not because of this Prey thing...
He might have found of some other reason instead then... B)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options