Duke4.net Forums: Where have the texture filtering options for the POLYMOST and POLYMER renderers gone? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where have the texture filtering options for the POLYMOST and POLYMER renderers gone?

User is offline   gaula92 

HI there!

I am building latest available sources (as of 07/28/2019) and they run fine with both the POLYMER and POLYMOST renderers, but texture filtering options (to set bilinear filtering on textures, etc) seem to be gone!
Why? How could I force bilinear filtering? r_texturefilter and similar cvars seems to be deprecated/not working...

I also tried setting gltexfiltermode = TEXFILTER_ON in polymost.cpp, but that would cause the sky to disappear...

User is offline   Phredreeke 

It's gone because it's incompatible with palette emulation. It would need to be reimplemented as a shader.

User is offline   gaula92 

View PostPhredreeke, on 28 July 2019 - 07:04 AM, said:

It's gone because it's incompatible with palette emulation. It would need to be reimplemented as a shader.

Is there any way to FORCE it and disable palette emulation? Is palette emulation mandatory?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The eduke devs have stated that they're going to implement texture filtering again.

I'm sure they're reluctant to allow palette emulation to be disabled because it'd make maps look different across renderers.

User is offline   Mark 

If you really want filtering and the ability to turn off palette emulation you could always go back to a slightly older revision. I don't know when exactly the change was made but I know 7333 from Feb 2019 works. But beware, older ones may have a different bug that was fixed in the next revision. :dukecigar:

This post has been edited by Mark: 29 July 2019 - 03:40 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

To clarify here a bit, historically polymost has a "palette emulation" feature where it did a copy of the palette swap for every texture in VRAM, this was very resource intensive and not really recommended but it was a stopgap solution until something better was in place. It was emulation as it was a very ugly hack of getting around the lack of proper palette swaps.
The "non emulated" look on the other hand used simple mathematical GL functions to do the colour transformation, naturally very little of the palette follows natural progression so things will always look a bit off with it enabled. However it didn't require manual skewing.

Around 2018 the support was finally added to have a texuture atlas along with using shaders to to the palette swapping, in this case the whole "palette emulation" was thrown out and the whole implementation was replaced with this new implementation that reworked this bit.
VRAM usage could go down by hundreds of percents in extreme cases with this method, making the game playable in integrated graphics like never before.
Due to this atlas / shader approach, filtering no longer works as it did before, needing some additional work.
While you could in theory force the filtering to be enabled, it would end up being a broken shell of what was left in the code.

Later on it was seen that many users would try to enable this filtering manually and end up with bugreports, since the feature doesn't yet work, the option to turn it on was removed for time being to minimize confusion.
Plans are to add it back but it's been a low priority since as a ton of work has gone in to other areas instead (i.e. now sprite transparency blending works in GL) ...Some day :dukecigar:

Meanwhile here I'm wishing for the ability to draw hightiles using indexed colors :dukecigar:

• Honored Donor

Gambini also wants the indexed colours to apply for models which are restricted to the palate, for his DNF mod.

User is offline   Jim 

So the new DNF mod is not going to support texture filtering?

• Honored Donor

The DNF mod will support it when eduke does.

User is offline   Mark 

It depends on which revision of eduke32 he includes. There is no law that forces him to use a more current one with no filtering.

This post has been edited by Mark: 31 July 2019 - 05:17 PM

User is offline   Nikbawker 

The newest version for using texture filtering megaton / atomic content is 7395. That doesn't support all the work done for episode 5 though. This release for me runs pretty fast(Specs fx 8 core, 16g ddr3, gtx 1070oc), 7333 was actually pretty laggy compared to 7395.
Reason why I like texture filtering is because it looks very shimmery' in the distance without it and up close it looks less realistic although yes it does look pixel perfect and HD, not arguing with that but I've always kind of loved the filtered look on HD modded games, gives it a cohesive look and looks more realistic although less defined and less graphically impressive as well. Also a big fan of the Nintendo 64 release, which is smoothed. Currently using that release. Might be some issues using it with duke plus, 4-2 doesn't load for me.

This post has been edited by Nikbawker: 11 July 2020 - 08:15 AM

If you wanna play Alien World Tour with filtering then DukeGDX supports both.

User is offline   Jim 

https://forums.duke4.../page__st__1470

you can check post #1478

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options