Duke4.net Forums: Trying to remember/find an old mod - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trying to remember/find an old mod

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

This has been bothering me for a few months ever since I was randomly reminded of it.

Way, way, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back, we're talking 11, maybe 12 years ago, I downloaded a massive mod pack. It was a whole assortment of different mods from all over. It had old ones like The Gate, and relatively new ones (at the time) like Duke Plus.

One of these was I think a multiplayer-oriented mod, bringing in a bunch of different game modes, and a few packed-in user maps (I think, anyway. I could be wrong and those maps were just part of the pack). I actually played this one a fair bit, not against anyone, but it did have a game mode where waves of enemies would spawn in the map and you had to kill them all until you died (or not; maybe you respawned?) or possibly a boss spawned. I don't remember. Point is, you could play that single-player. Which I tended to do somewhat often. I even remember it was the first time I ever played Roch Island, at the time not knowing what it was until I downloaded it for myself many years later.

I don't remember the name of this thing. I don't know if it would play well on modern EDuke32. Frankly I don't even remember if the mod was of any decent quality; I only remember starting it up to play that mode (I think that's what's commonly called Invasion? I don't play enough multiplayer games/modes to know) more than a few times.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please refresh my memory of whatever I'm thinking of.

User is offline   FistMarine 

I think I know what mod you are referring to. It was War of Attrition by Deeperthought (Trooper Dan), wasn't it? I remember the mod coming with over 100 user maps included, a few different game modes (a mode where you play through bunch of custom maps until you reach boss level when reaching certain score, a high score challenge mode, a mode where you play through original episodes and the last being invasion styled in a few DM maps pretty much like you described), it also had the map Roch Island included. Though it might have been a cut down version made for DM, because when I got to play the actual Roch Island map (after I already played this cut down DM version in the mod), it was a lot longer.

I hope this is the mod you are looking for, since a lot of things you described resemble the War of Attrition mod. :dukecigar:

Nope, wasn't War of Attrition. I played that for the first time only like a year ago. I don't even think it was out at the time I played the mod I'm thinking of.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 17 July 2019 - 02:52 AM

A such old mod with Rock Island could be WMD, Weapons of Mass Destruction, another mod by DeeperTought / Trooper Dan , but i don't remember about waves of enemies.
Of the same era, i rememnber Duke Nukem Arena (DNA), another project by Dan

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I did make a mod called Duke Nukem Arena back in 2006-2007. It had several fake multiplayer game modes and teams. Duke clones and monsters could be on either team, and there was team DM, CTF, and a few other gametypes. It even had spectator view where you could cycle through the players and view from their POV. It had a quickmatch menu where you can set the parameters of the next match, choose the map, etc. It's possible that's what you are referring to, but I don't recall it ever being part of a mod pack (although it could have been). I stopped working on it by the end of 2007 and never looked back. When I started it, EDuke32 didn't even have game arrays and I coded things in a weird way -- when I got better and Eduke32 got more features it was obvious that I would need to recode a lot of things from scratch so I abandoned it. This is one of the reasons why the next AA is a gladiatorial combat story with fake multiplayer matches; I wanted an opportunity to do it right.

User is offline   FistMarine 

View PostNinety-Six, on 17 July 2019 - 02:51 AM, said:

Nope, wasn't War of Attrition. I played that for the first time only like a year ago. I don't even think it was out at the time I played the mod I'm thinking of.

In that case, I guess I will go with the recent replies and say that it might have been Duke Nukem Arena. I think I rushed a bit in replying only because a lot of things matched WOA and it was one of the few mods from Trooper Dan that I've played. I admit I haven't played either Weapons of Mass Destruction or Duke Nukem Arena but I remember seeing them on YouTube back in late 2006-early to mid 2007 (good times!). I especially remember watching this video back then and impressing me:

At that time I was just discovering all the amazing maps and mods created for the game, as well as the source ports, the HRP and so on.

Now back on topic, I have always been a fan of Trooper Dan's mods (I think they are all amazing!) since I started playing DukePlus back in 2009 and being completely blown away by all those effects, the new maps and whatever else was in the mod, as well as WOA and the more recent mods that came in last couple of years: Duke Forces and Alien Armageddon. And I would like one day to play through the older mods just to see what I missed. Are DNA and DNWMD mods still available for download? I think they are worth checking out anyway just for historical reasons. Who knows, I might actually enjoy them. I also remember another mod created by Trooper Dan, it was called Mario Nukem (I wonder how much was completed anyway) but let's not go too off-topic.

One question about DNA: How was spectator mode actually implemented?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Yeah that's the only surviving video of an early version but it doesn't show anything cool imo -- the person who made it was exposing how you could play around in the level after completing the match. The spectator mode worked by moving the camera to different positions...I'm not sure what else to say about it.

As for Mario Nukem:

It didn't raise any eyebrows when we were working on it 10 years ago, but nowadays I think it would be shut down.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 17 July 2019 - 12:04 PM, said:

but I don't recall it ever being part of a mod pack (although it could have been)

To clarify, I'm pretty sure it was an unofficial pack. Some person went out there, downloaded a bunch of Duke mods, and threw them into a zip file.

In hindsight, not the wisest download I made. This was before I took internet security (and security in general) even remotely seriously.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 17 July 2019 - 12:04 PM, said:

This is one of the reasons why the next AA is a gladiatorial combat story with fake multiplayer matches; I wanted an opportunity to do it right.

Funnily enough, this is what reminded me of it.

I think it might have actually been Arena. That does ring a bell. Did it have Invasion?

I just recovered Arena from my collection of ancient mods and played it for few mins.

Yes, it has invasion.

Game modes: DukeMatch, Team DukeMatch, Capture the Flags, Flags 'n Frags, Monster Arena, Soul Stash.

May I ask for a screencap of the gamemode in action? I know I would recognize the HUD for the mode.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 17 July 2019 - 10:48 PM

Here we go

Selecting game modes
Posted Image

Posted Image

That is it. That is definitely it. I never forgot how the enemy type wave box looked. For some reason. Thank you very kindly for that.

And thanks to everyone who pointed this out. It was Duke Nukem Arena, for certain. The mystery is solved. Case closed.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 18 July 2019 - 02:12 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

AMC TC has a fun invasion mode.

View PostBlitZ, on 18 July 2019 - 10:56 AM, said:

Does it? I still need to play that yet...

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It's rather separate from the main game I think. You can probably unlock more weapons and shit through the story mode. It's been a while but I enjoyed it when I played it.

View PostBlitZ, on 18 July 2019 - 12:22 PM, said:

It's rather separate from the main game I think. You can probably unlock more weapons and shit through the story mode. It's been a while but I enjoyed it when I played it.

Is it something accessed from one of the bases?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I don't really remember how to get to it. I'd guess it's in the extra missions room at the main hub level.

View PostBlitZ, on 18 July 2019 - 01:40 PM, said:

I don't really remember how to get to it. I'd guess it's in the extra missions room at the main hub level.

I'll keep it in mind when I finally get to playing it. Thank you.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

If my memory serves correctly, the invasion maps are only accessible through loose map files in the game directory. To my knowledge, these maps are not included in the episode 3 release.

oh

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostBlitZ, on 18 July 2019 - 10:56 AM, said:

That was taken out years ago. When was the last time you played the AMC TC? Most likely, you’re missing out on a lot of great new content. If you, you should check it out once the upcoming patch is released.

The invasion maps were taken out because they were designed for coop. They’re not balanced for single player, and you’ll run out of health and ammo if you try. While coop was supported under the old system prior to episode 1’s release, that hasn’t been the case for a while for obvious reasons.

Darn.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

That's a bummer, I had fun with it even in singleplayer. But yeah, it's been a while. AMC TC has gotten too large for me, I don't really have the time to devote to something like that anymore.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options