Duke4.net Forums: Nightdive should make a classic ROTT remake next. - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nightdive should make a classic ROTT remake next.

User is offline   Man 'o War 

I know that Blood Fresh Supply was not the best,but at least GDX and NBlood exists.Classic ROTT has..well,Winrott,and it's reeeaaallllyy not the best.
*Remaster,not remake.

This post has been edited by Man 'o War: 17 June 2019 - 01:06 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

If you want a remaster, there’s ROTT 2013, which is basically a modern version of the game, plus some more annoying instadeath platforming.

User is offline   Man 'o War 

View PostMicky C, on 17 June 2019 - 01:31 AM, said:

If you want a remaster, there’s ROTT 2013, which is basically a modern version of the game, plus some more annoying instadeath platforming.

I tried it,was really disappointed.Horrendous optimization,terrible boss fights,and yes,the shitty playtform.the music was amazing though.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

I don’t think wanting Nightdive to remaster anything would be a popular opinion here.

There are two ports working on supporting ROTT but for both it comes after other games on the port, 3DGE being primarily for Doom and ECWolf primarily for Wolf3D.

User is offline   Sanek 

Blood FS is not as good as our home-made ports that for sure, but I understand why many think of Nightdive as a go-to studio when it comes to remastering. Strife: Veteran Edition is awesome port and while there's some flaws and errors in Nighdive's ports, they fix the issues in a timely maner.

think that ROTT plays just fine in Dosbox. I don't like the 2013 remake, which looks more like the amateur's attempt than a proper product. I remember someone referred to this game as a "euro trash", and I can see why (although can hardly describe). The original ROTT can be described as "trash" in some sense too, but it's a good kind of trash, u know. :D

Besides, why can't 3D Realms make the new port by themselves? They own the franchise, isn't it?

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMicky C, on 17 June 2019 - 01:31 AM, said:

If you want a remaster, there's ROTT 2013, which is basically a modern version of the game, plus some more annoying instadeath platforming.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

NDS is great. Blood FS seems to be their only misstep.

Well, I guess they sort of shelved the System Shock remake too right? Other than those two...I really loved the Turok remasters. I'm a fan. I want more remasters from them. Just not of Build engine games.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 17 June 2019 - 01:02 PM, said:

Well, I guess they sort of shelved the System Shock remake too right?

After a demo which looked great, they decided to switch from Unity to Unreal and do a completely different game (?!?!?!) because they thought they were gonna get money from somebody. That didn't happen, so they basically went back to what they showed in the initial Unity demo. The original release date was meant to be December 2017, lol. I am sure they will eventually finish it, but much like Blood FS, my confidence in them is down to zero. The Turok remasters is just one guy, right - so thank him, not NDS. I'm sure retarded deadlines are what's responsible for Blood FS not living up to expectations. Villarreal would've never released it in this state if he could help it.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMan, on 17 June 2019 - 01:06 AM, said:

I know that Blood Fresh Supply was not the best,but at least GDX and NBlood exists.Classic ROTT has..well,Winrott,and it's reeeaaallllyy not the best.
*Remaster,not remake.

ROTT is already open source. We don't need a commercial studio to make a program code remake for profit in order to get a good port.

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah that's the thing. Blood's source is still under lock and key.

View Postthricecursed, on 17 June 2019 - 01:27 PM, said:

The Turok remasters is just one guy, right - so thank him, not NDS.

Oh was it? I didn't know the details.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I liked ROTT 2013. I'm alone, I know.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 17 June 2019 - 06:41 PM, said:

Oh was it? I didn't know the details.

Yeah AFAIK https://twitter.com/svkaiser did the first Turok remaster before NDS ever got involved or had it close to being finished. He released Powerslave EX and NDS told him to take it down. I guess it will eventually come out, but it's like they put one guy's work behind a paywall. I'm sure they're paying him decently as well to make it worth his while, but eh. The idea is that if these games sell well, we'll get more of them and it'll inspire other developers, but I simply wish that someone other than NDS was involved. They're shit at managing their projects. I backed the Shock remake and I still don't understand how the fuck they felt it was OK to do what they did, first by going against what they promised and then missing their deadline by 3 years.

View PostZaxx, on 17 June 2019 - 08:08 PM, said:

It wasn't anything amazing, but I enjoyed it.

This post has been edited by thricecursed: 18 June 2019 - 01:37 AM

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Considering ROTT is owned by 3DR or probably Apogee, why would you want Nightdive to make a re-release for it? Unless you're saying this because you're annoyed that they do nothing with it on which I can definitely agree, it is annoying. I hope Voidpoint gives it a shot and makes a proper release of original (with addons), they would probably keep supporting the game for a long time and would put good efforts into it as well. They even have access to various ROTT materials too unlike Nightdive, beta and otherwise.

Moreover, I bet they can easily make a great worthy sequel too.

View PostZaxx, on 17 June 2019 - 08:08 PM, said:

No, you're not, I enjoyed it too. Wouldn't say it was great or something, but it was decent.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 18 June 2019 - 07:35 AM

View Postthricecursed, on 18 June 2019 - 01:36 AM, said:

Yeah AFAIK https://twitter.com/svkaiser did the first Turok remaster before NDS ever got involved or had it close to being finished. He released Powerslave EX and NDS told him to take it down. I guess it will eventually come out, but it's like they put one guy's work behind a paywall. I'm sure they're paying him decently as well to make it worth his while, but eh. The idea is that if these games sell well, we'll get more of them and it'll inspire other developers, but I simply wish that someone other than NDS was involved. They're shit at managing their projects. I backed the Shock remake and I still don't understand how the fuck they felt it was OK to do what they did, first by going against what they promised and then missing their deadline by 3 years.

It wasn't anything amazing, but I enjoyed it.

Kaiser also initially released his base engine for free as open source and NDS hired him and demanded that he make the engine close source.

Source ports run the game on an updated version of the original engine, which is why you can get faithful gameplay with some modern amenities. NDS is taking classic FPS games and recreating them in a new engine, which is less faithful.

User is offline   Avoozl 

Outlaws could use a remaster.

User is offline   axl 

View PostAvoozl, on 20 June 2019 - 08:42 PM, said:

Outlaws could use a remaster.

True !

• The Sarien Encounter

Heck, Dark Forces too.

User is offline   Tekedon 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 21 June 2019 - 07:41 AM, said:

Heck, Dark Forces too.

Darkforces kinda has one already. DarkXL, not sure how good it works on modern systems though and also it is not totally finished. This guy
also was making a BloodXL, Shadow Warrior XL port but he seems to have disappeared and abandoned his projects. **Edit, I also seem to remember
he was going to make it support Outlaws now that I think about it.

This post has been edited by Tekedon: 21 June 2019 - 08:30 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm aware of DarkXL. I don't know what state it's in now but I wasn't that impressed with it initially over just playing through DOSBox.

Anyone remember old Dark Forces modding/mapping tools? I seem to recall it existing but being extremely hard to get ahold of and/or use? I feel like it was quite hacky to make maps/mods for it...or I'm totally misremembering.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Any one here use Icculus RoTT?
Anybody ever compile it? I've been having issues here, think it might be 32-64 bit compability problems. Any tips?

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostPhotonic, on 23 June 2019 - 07:17 AM, said:

Any one here use Icculus RoTT?

I had a distro that included a precompiled x64 version which worked fine for me. It would even download and install the shareware version as part of the installation. But I didn't play it much because it totally ignores the aspect ratio stuff.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMrFlibble, on 23 June 2019 - 10:08 AM, said:

I had a distro that included a precompiled x64 version which worked fine for me. It would even download and install the shareware version as part of the installation. But I didn't play it much because it totally ignores the aspect ratio stuff.

If you remember which distro, there may be source code patches that fix issues.

User is offline   Kyanos 

As far as I know Icculus rott released a 1.0 1.1 & 1.2, the later two using some code from winrott that has the higher resolutions (that don't use proper aspect ratio.)

see here for releases> https://icculus.org/rott/
and here for the svn> svn://svn.icculus.org/rott/trunk

But how to compile :D

View PostPhotonic, on 24 June 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

As far as I know Icculus rott released a 1.0 1.1 & 1.2, the later two using some code from winrott that has the higher resolutions (that don't use proper aspect ratio.)

see here for releases> https://icculus.org/rott/
and here for the svn> svn://svn.icculus.org/rott/trunk

But how to compile :)

I noticed there are hundreds of updated Rott ports out there, but none of them offer compiled releases... :D

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options