Duke4.net Forums: eDuke32 Old MP not working on LAN; not connecting - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

eDuke32 Old MP not working on LAN; not connecting

User is offline   Marscaleb 

#1

I've got two computers set up on an isolated network; there is no internet connection. These are both older computers running Windows XP. I downloaded the latest release of the old MP (release 29) and dropped in my rts and grp files.

When I run the LANLauncher.bat and try to host a match, it gets stuck on the part where it says "getting IP address..."
If I tell it "yes" to forward ports with UPnP it displays a bunch of other text, but each step ultimately ends in a timeout, and it again stops at "getting IP address."
One of the machines will additionally give me a windows dialog error box with a message telling me to send someone a crash log.

I really have no idea how to troubleshoot this any further from this point. I suspect this launcher wasn't really designed to run on a closed network with WinXP machines, but this is the set up I need to be able to work with.
Please advise.
0

User is offline   Striker 

  • Auramancer

#2

View PostMarscaleb, on 09 June 2019 - 05:55 AM, said:

I've got two computers set up on an isolated network; there is no internet connection. These are both older computers running Windows XP. I downloaded the latest release of the old MP (release 29) and dropped in my rts and grp files.

When I run the LANLauncher.bat and try to host a match, it gets stuck on the part where it says "getting IP address..."
If I tell it "yes" to forward ports with UPnP it displays a bunch of other text, but each step ultimately ends in a timeout, and it again stops at "getting IP address."
One of the machines will additionally give me a windows dialog error box with a message telling me to send someone a crash log.

I really have no idea how to troubleshoot this any further from this point. I suspect this launcher wasn't really designed to run on a closed network with WinXP machines, but this is the set up I need to be able to work with.
Please advise.

The launcher and OldMP were never intended to work on Windows XP, so you might run into trouble for that reason alone. However, did you try hitting "N" when it asks if you want to use UPnP? It should still give you a list of local IPs on your system that you can try to connect clients to. The freeze might be because you don't have the appropriate services enabled in your XP install.

This post has been edited by Striker: 09 June 2019 - 09:26 AM

0

User is offline   Radar 

  • Zionist Shill

#3

View PostMarscaleb, on 09 June 2019 - 05:55 AM, said:

I've got two computers set up on an isolated network; there is no internet connection. These are both older computers running Windows XP. I downloaded the latest release of the old MP (release 29) and dropped in my rts and grp files.

When I run the LANLauncher.bat and try to host a match, it gets stuck on the part where it says "getting IP address..."
If I tell it "yes" to forward ports with UPnP it displays a bunch of other text, but each step ultimately ends in a timeout, and it again stops at "getting IP address."
One of the machines will additionally give me a windows dialog error box with a message telling me to send someone a crash log.

I really have no idea how to troubleshoot this any further from this point. I suspect this launcher wasn't really designed to run on a closed network with WinXP machines, but this is the set up I need to be able to work with.
Please advise.


Make sure Windows Firewall is off completely, since you're not connected to the internet.

Two computers on the same LAN can't launch a game unless the UDP numbers are unique (I typically just add one, starting number is 23513).

If the launcher doesn't allow you to modify the UDP number, you can try using a simple client like Yang, which allows this control. In a closed network, use File>Join a Room Manually to join the other computer's lobby.

This post has been edited by Radar: 09 June 2019 - 10:23 AM

0

User is offline   Marscaleb 

#4

View PostStriker, on 09 June 2019 - 09:23 AM, said:

The launcher and OldMP were never intended to work on Windows XP, so you might run into trouble for that reason alone.

Perhaps, but if the game itself still runs in XP, there shouldn't be any issues that can't be worked around.

View PostStriker, on 09 June 2019 - 09:23 AM, said:

However, did you try hitting "N" when it asks if you want to use UPnP? It should still give you a list of local IPs on your system that you can try to connect clients to. The freeze might be because you don't have the appropriate services enabled in your XP install.

Yes, doing so just causes it to jump straight to the portion where it freezes.

View PostRadar, on 09 June 2019 - 10:12 AM, said:

Make sure Windows Firewall is off completely, since you're not connected to the internet.

Two computers on the same LAN can't launch a game unless the UDP numbers are unique (I typically just add one, starting number is 23513).

If the launcher doesn't allow you to modify the UDP number, you can try using a simple client like Yang, which allows this control. In a closed network, use File>Join a Room Manually to join the other computer's lobby.

The last time I looked at YANG I could not find any documentation targeted for laymen. I couldn't even find a page on the site that explained what the floop the program even does.
0

User is offline   Radar 

  • Zionist Shill

#5

View PostMarscaleb, on 09 June 2019 - 05:04 PM, said:

The last time I looked at YANG I could not find any documentation targeted for laymen. I couldn't even find a page on the site that explained what the floop the program even does.


Yang is a netplayer client that hosts servers (aka "rooms") that players can join and launch games in.

Set the location for the EDuke32OldMP.exe in Settings>Source Ports>Duke Nukem 3D

Change the UDP number on one of the machines in Settings>Multiplayer and Networking>Networking (just add one, so give one of the machines 23514 instead of 23513)

On the first machine, go to Action>Create a Room, and then press "stop advertising" if it keeps saying "trying master server".

On the second machine, go to Action>Join a room manually, and enter the local (NOT public) IP address of the first machine (you can discover this using ipconfig in the command prompt)


Let me know if any of that isn't clear English.

This post has been edited by Radar: 09 June 2019 - 05:36 PM

0

User is offline   Marscaleb 

#6

View PostRadar, on 09 June 2019 - 05:18 PM, said:


Set the location for the EDuke32OldMP.exe in Settings>Source Ports>Duke Nukem 3D

Change the UDP number on one of the machines in Settings>Multiplayer and Networking>Networking (just add one, so give one of the machines 23514 instead of 23513)

On the first machine, go to Action>Create a Room, and then press "stop advertising" if it keeps saying "trying master server".

On the second machine, go to Action>Join a room manually, and enter the local (NOT public) IP address of the first machine (you can discover this using ipconfig in the command prompt)


Let me know if any of that isn't clear English.

Dang, I was really hoping that YANG would have some built-in methods to find rooms so that I don't have to look up IP addresses.
Well, I followed the instructions and got both computers in the same "room," but when I launch the game it doesn't launch in multiplayer.

This post has been edited by Marscaleb: 11 June 2019 - 02:10 PM

0

User is offline   Radar 

  • Zionist Shill

#7

View PostMarscaleb, on 11 June 2019 - 02:02 PM, said:

Dang, I was really hoping that YANG would have some built-in methods to find rooms so that I don't have to look up IP addresses.
Well, I followed the instructions and got both computers in the same "room," but when I launch the game it doesn't launch in multiplayer.


Try changing the connection type. There's 3 modes: P2P, Master/Slave, and Client/Server. Go through all of them to see which one works. It's been awhile since I did this so I forgot the right ones. Pretty sure only 2 of them work.



Btw, Yang does allow you to find rooms without looking up IP addresses, but you will have to forward TCP 8501 and just host a room normally in order to do that.

This post has been edited by Radar: 11 June 2019 - 06:55 PM

0

User is offline   Striker 

  • Auramancer

#8

View PostMarscaleb, on 09 June 2019 - 05:04 PM, said:

Perhaps, but if the game itself still runs in XP, there shouldn't be any issues that can't be worked around.


Yes, doing so just causes it to jump straight to the portion where it freezes.

Where does it freeze? If it's the prompt that says press Y once all players are in-game... that's normal. You need to connect another player first. The LAN Launcher handles preparing all players before launching. Other people need to run LANLauncher and connect to the IP of the host.

This post has been edited by Striker: 12 June 2019 - 10:00 AM

0

User is offline   Marscaleb 

#9

View PostRadar, on 11 June 2019 - 06:15 PM, said:

Try changing the connection type. There's 3 modes: P2P, Master/Slave, and Client/Server. Go through all of them to see which one works. It's been awhile since I did this so I forgot the right ones. Pretty sure only 2 of them work.

Okay, now it's launching in multiplayer, but the game crashes pretty soon after starting.

View PostRadar, on 11 June 2019 - 06:15 PM, said:

Btw, Yang does allow you to find rooms without looking up IP addresses, but you will have to forward TCP 8501 and just host a room normally in order to do that.

...how do I do that?


View PostStriker, on 12 June 2019 - 10:00 AM, said:

Where does it freeze?


It says "getting IP address..." and goes no further.
0

User is offline   Striker 

  • Auramancer

#10

View PostMarscaleb, on 12 June 2019 - 12:40 PM, said:

Okay, now it's launching in multiplayer, but the game crashes pretty soon after starting.


...how do I do that?




It says "getting IP address..." and goes no further.

It shouldn't even be saying "Getting IP Address" if you've gone through the setup and hit no when asked if you want to use UPnP. Should be physically impossible because that's not how the app is programmed to behave in LAN mode. (Unless XP is doing some extremely fucky shit with it that I don't know about)

I'll try to investigate, but I have no guarantees. I'll give the code another look over. I plan on releasing a new build of OldMP soon anyway.

This post has been edited by Striker: 12 June 2019 - 01:15 PM

0

User is offline   Radar 

  • Zionist Shill

#11

View PostMarscaleb, on 12 June 2019 - 12:40 PM, said:

Okay, now it's launching in multiplayer, but the game crashes pretty soon after starting.


Did you try all 3 connection modes? Could be just one that makes it tick. Make sure you're just playing something simple like E1L1, don't try to load any other maps or mods yet. (I get hanging intro screens when maps are corrupted)

If none of that works, try one of the older OldMP releases by Hendricks. Those were designed when Yang was the only option for launching games. The newer OldMP releases might be tailored specifically for Striker's launcher.


View PostMarscaleb, on 12 June 2019 - 12:40 PM, said:

...how do I do that?


Google how to forward ports in your router. It is a completely unique process for every router and ISP. Can't help you much there besides providing the port numbers: TCP 8501, UDP 23513

This post has been edited by Radar: 12 June 2019 - 02:46 PM

0

User is offline   Marscaleb 

#12

View PostStriker, on 12 June 2019 - 01:10 PM, said:

It shouldn't even be saying "Getting IP Address" if you've gone through the setup and hit no when asked if you want to use UPnP. Should be physically impossible because that's not how the app is programmed to behave in LAN mode. (Unless XP is doing some extremely fucky shit with it that I don't know about)

I'll try to investigate, but I have no guarantees. I'll give the code another look over. I plan on releasing a new build of OldMP soon anyway.

Cool; how soon? I'm setting up these computers for a convention on the 27th - 29th, so if this update makes a difference for me I would like to get it before then.
And here's what I get when I used the LAN Launcher:
https://i.imgur.com/jzVzK3J.png
The crash log says:
Caught exception 0xC0000005 at 0x004152B2: Access violation.
0x004152B2 : C:\Games\Duke\DiscordLauncher.exe : H:\sourcecode\discord_matchmaker_for_eduke32-oldmp/src/libipify/ipify.cpp (62) : in function (_Z6get_ipPc)
0x00401A6E : C:\Games\Duke\DiscordLauncher.exe : H:\sourcecode\discord_matchmaker_for_eduke32-oldmp/src/DiscordLauncher.
cpp (66) : in function (_Z5GetIPv)
0x00402B0E : C:\Games\Duke\DiscordLauncher.exe : H:\sourcecode\discord_matchmaker_for_eduke32-oldmp/src/DiscordLauncher.
cpp (712) : in function (_Z13LaunchAndWaitv)
0x004034B1 : C:\Games\Duke\DiscordLauncher.exe : H:\sourcecode\discord_matchmaker_for_eduke32-oldmp/src/DiscordLauncher.
cpp (1008) : in function (_Z21AskIfHostingOrJoiningv)
0x004039B1 : C:\Games\Duke\DiscordLauncher.exe : H:\sourcecode\discord_matchmaker_for_eduke32-oldmp/src/DiscordLauncher.
cpp (1205) : in function (main)
0x0040138B : C:\Games\Duke\DiscordLauncher.exe : C:/repo/mingw-w64-crt-git/src/mingw-w64/mingw-w64-crt/crt/crtexe.c (341) : in function (__tmainCRTStartup)
0x7C816037 : C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll : RegisterWaitForInputIdle
Wed Jun 12 16:59:19 2019
---------------



View PostRadar, on 12 June 2019 - 02:21 PM, said:

Did you try all 3 connection modes? Could be just one that makes it tick. Make sure you're just playing something simple like E1L1, don't try to load any other maps or mods yet. (I get hanging intro screens when maps are corrupted)

If none of that works, try one of the older OldMP releases by Hendricks. Those were designed when Yang was the only option for launching games. The newer OldMP releases might be tailored specifically for Striker's launcher.

So, new information.
I was testing some things out and it turns out that one of the computers keeps crashing the game; it's not a connection issue, it crashes single player too.
When I first got things running it ran the game for a couple minutes, long enough for me to check to see if it has any latency issues like I saw when I tried this on some different systems a couple months back. But about when I was making the second or third kill, it froze on me. And ever since, it just froze immediately when a level started. And it freezes so hard that I have to reboot the computer manually; I can't even pull up the task manager to close the application.
I've never seen behavior like this on an XP machine.
I was trying to change some settings, like using the software renderer, but it will freeze when I change those settings. (But I am still able to close the program via the task manager.)

Any thoughts on what to check?


View PostRadar, on 12 June 2019 - 02:21 PM, said:

Google how to forward ports in your router. It is a completely unique process for every router and ISP. Can't help you much there besides providing the port numbers: TCP 8501, UDP 23513

Oh right, port forwarding. Yeah, I know "of" what you're talking about; I've done that a couple times before, but it's one of those things I have no idea what it is, it's just some setting in the router I've been told to set. My brother did that a bunch for his old BBS MUD servers.
It's probably going to be easier for me to just look up what the IP addresses are when I'm at the con; I was hoping for something I could set up now and have it work when I set everything up for real.

...you know, it just occurred to me that I don't have any routers in this setup, just switches. Could this be part of the problem?

This post has been edited by Marscaleb: 12 June 2019 - 03:57 PM

0

User is offline   Striker 

  • Auramancer

#13

View PostMarscaleb, on 12 June 2019 - 03:47 PM, said:

Cool; how soon? I'm setting up these computers for a convention on the 27th - 29th, so if this update makes a difference for me I would like to get it before then.
And here's what I get when I used the LAN Launcher:
https://i.imgur.com/jzVzK3J.png
The crash log says:
Caught exception 0xC0000005 at 0x004152B2: Access violation.
0x004152B2 : C:\Games\Duke\DiscordLauncher.exe : H:\sourcecode\discord_matchmaker_for_eduke32-oldmp/src/libipify/ipify.cpp (62) : in function (_Z6get_ipPc)
0x00401A6E : C:\Games\Duke\DiscordLauncher.exe : H:\sourcecode\discord_matchmaker_for_eduke32-oldmp/src/DiscordLauncher.
cpp (66) : in function (_Z5GetIPv)
0x00402B0E : C:\Games\Duke\DiscordLauncher.exe : H:\sourcecode\discord_matchmaker_for_eduke32-oldmp/src/DiscordLauncher.
cpp (712) : in function (_Z13LaunchAndWaitv)
0x004034B1 : C:\Games\Duke\DiscordLauncher.exe : H:\sourcecode\discord_matchmaker_for_eduke32-oldmp/src/DiscordLauncher.
cpp (1008) : in function (_Z21AskIfHostingOrJoiningv)
0x004039B1 : C:\Games\Duke\DiscordLauncher.exe : H:\sourcecode\discord_matchmaker_for_eduke32-oldmp/src/DiscordLauncher.
cpp (1205) : in function (main)
0x0040138B : C:\Games\Duke\DiscordLauncher.exe : C:/repo/mingw-w64-crt-git/src/mingw-w64/mingw-w64-crt/crt/crtexe.c (341) : in function (__tmainCRTStartup)
0x7C816037 : C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll : RegisterWaitForInputIdle
Wed Jun 12 16:59:19 2019
---------------


Oof. That's lib-ipify shitting the bed (not my own code, but a library I'm using). Not sure why, though. In a bit, I'll try to build a binary for you to use with that part either disabled or fixed, depending on what happens. This shouldn't take until the 27th. If you don't hear from me by the end of next week (because I get distracted easily), perhaps highlight me on the Duke4.net Discord, or PM me here.
0

User is offline   Radar 

  • Zionist Shill

#14

View PostMarscaleb, on 12 June 2019 - 03:47 PM, said:

So, new information.
I was testing some things out and it turns out that one of the computers keeps crashing the game; it's not a connection issue, it crashes single player too.
When I first got things running it ran the game for a couple minutes, long enough for me to check to see if it has any latency issues like I saw when I tried this on some different systems a couple months back. But about when I was making the second or third kill, it froze on me. And ever since, it just froze immediately when a level started. And it freezes so hard that I have to reboot the computer manually; I can't even pull up the task manager to close the application.
I've never seen behavior like this on an XP machine.
I was trying to change some settings, like using the software renderer, but it will freeze when I change those settings. (But I am still able to close the program via the task manager.)

Any thoughts on what to check?


This is an extremely common issue with EDuke32 since before even the OldMP fork started. The issue isn't the crashes alone, it's the fact that YOUR COMPUTER COMPLETELY FREEZES. Only a force restart of the whole machine will fix it.

Since you are able connect, I think you are simply having problems with EDuke32. I'd highly recommend switching to XDuke or HDuke (the HDuke link won't work right now because Duke Nukem Brazil is offline https://www.thegearpage.net/board/smilies/cry.gif). They were maintained in the heydays of XP, so you'll have the best experience with them (and they run great on modern systems too).


View PostMarscaleb, on 12 June 2019 - 03:47 PM, said:

Oh right, port forwarding. Yeah, I know "of" what you're talking about; I've done that a couple times before, but it's one of those things I have no idea what it is, it's just some setting in the router I've been told to set. My brother did that a bunch for his old BBS MUD servers.
It's probably going to be easier for me to just look up what the IP addresses are when I'm at the con; I was hoping for something I could set up now and have it work when I set everything up for real.

...you know, it just occurred to me that I don't have any routers in this setup, just switches. Could this be part of the problem?


No. I played XDuke/HDuke + Yang on a switch with no Internet, back in the A+/Cisco days in high school. Absolutely no problems.

To make things quicker at the con, press "Add and save" when you go to join a room manually. That way you can just select the IP address from the list instead of having to type it each time.

You will not be able to host a public server at the con, because no Internet means no master server to connect to. Manual joining with the "add and save" technique is your best bet.

This post has been edited by Radar: 12 June 2019 - 07:08 PM

0

User is offline   Marscaleb 

#15

View PostStriker, on 12 June 2019 - 04:23 PM, said:

Oof. That's lib-ipify shitting the bed (not my own code, but a library I'm using). Not sure why, though. In a bit, I'll try to build a binary for you to use with that part either disabled or fixed, depending on what happens. This shouldn't take until the 27th. If you don't hear from me by the end of next week (because I get distracted easily), perhaps highlight me on the Duke4.net Discord, or PM me here.

Well thank you for going through all of this effort just for me.


View PostRadar, on 12 June 2019 - 06:41 PM, said:

This is an extremely common issue with EDuke32 since before even the OldMP fork started. The issue isn't the crashes alone, it's the fact that YOUR COMPUTER COMPLETELY FREEZES. Only a force restart of the whole machine will fix it.

Since you are able connect, I think you are simply having problems with EDuke32. I'd highly recommend switching to XDuke or HDuke (the HDuke link won't work right now because Duke Nukem Brazil is offline https://www.thegearpage.net/board/smilies/cry.gif). They were maintained in the heydays of XP, so you'll have the best experience with them (and they run great on modern systems too).


Hmm, are there not any fixes for it? I really just have to abandon EDuke here?
...That sucks. I might prefer to just not run Duke on certain machines. But I'll take a look at those suggestions and see how well they work.
Not all of my computers are running XP. BTW. Some are running Win 7 and some with Win 10. That's one of the reasons I'm drawn to eDuke, because it's worked with all of these OS's in mind.
0

User is offline   Radar 

  • Zionist Shill

#16

View PostMarscaleb, on 13 June 2019 - 04:44 AM, said:

Hmm, are there not any fixes for it? I really just have to abandon EDuke here?
...That sucks. I might prefer to just not run Duke on certain machines. But I'll take a look at those suggestions and see how well they work.
Not all of my computers are running XP. BTW. Some are running Win 7 and some with Win 10. That's one of the reasons I'm drawn to eDuke, because it's worked with all of these OS's in mind.


XDuke works with all of them too, but on Windows 7 there are color issues (later OSs don't have this issue). Pretty sure the fix is just a batch file that disables explorer while xduke is running. I'll see if I can post it tonight.
0

User is offline   Radar 

  • Zionist Shill

#17

This is the batch file to fix color issues on Windows 7:

@echo off
taskkill /F /IM Explorer.exe
duke3d_w32.exe %*
start %windir%\Explorer.exe


Remember that this is not needed on Windows 8.1 or 10. For some reason it works fine on those OSs.


This fix kills the file explorer while XDuke is running. If something crashes and explorer doesn't start again when XDuke closes, just open up task manager and got to File>New Task (Run) and type in explorer.

This post has been edited by Radar: 13 June 2019 - 06:56 PM

0

User is offline   Striker 

  • Auramancer

#18

Quote

...you know, it just occurred to me that I don't have any routers in this setup, just switches. Could this be part of the problem?
that could possibly explain why libipify is breaking. Check the network connection for that PC and see if it is even getting an IP. If the switch isn't connected to the internet at any point, that could also be it. I could have sworn I disabled libipify in LAN mode, but I guess not. I should probably make it an option in the case you want connections from the internet as well as LAN.
0

User is offline   Marscaleb 

#19

View PostStriker, on 14 June 2019 - 04:31 AM, said:

that could possibly explain why libipify is breaking. Check the network connection for that PC and see if it is even getting an IP. If the switch isn't connected to the internet at any point, that could also be it. I could have sworn I disabled libipify in LAN mode, but I guess not. I should probably make it an option in the case you want connections from the internet as well as LAN.

Well it does get a local IP address, I mean I don't know much about networking, but obviously there is some kind of IP address, but it's all local; not through the internet.

But at this point, using xDuke and YANG seems to be the more viable option, since eDuke-OldMP is crashing on some of my machines.
There's only one other issue I still have to resolve...

View PostRadar, on 13 June 2019 - 06:45 PM, said:

This is the batch file to fix color issues on Windows 7:

@echo off
taskkill /F /IM Explorer.exe
duke3d_w32.exe %*
start %windir%\Explorer.exe


Remember that this is not needed on Windows 8.1 or 10. For some reason it works fine on those OSs.


This fix kills the file explorer while XDuke is running. If something crashes and explorer doesn't start again when XDuke closes, just open up task manager and got to File>New Task (Run) and type in explorer.


This seems like a really intense fix. "We're just gonna kill part of your OS while this game runs, don't worry..." I haven't seen a game do this since I was running Rebel Assault on a mac when I was in middle school....

But that aside, um, how exactly do I enable that bat to run when I'm using YANG to launch the game?

And, since we're talking about YANG, I'm trying to set up YANG for Shadow Warrior too. I've got the GOG version installed on thee computers, and if I use the multiplayer shortcut GOG provided, it works just fine, but I'd rather use YANG since it can save my IP addresses and stuff. So I told YANG to use the DOS Box that's in the SW folder, but when it launches it is in a window instead of fullscreen. How do I fix this? Also, how would I launch in one of the expansions?
0

User is offline   Radar 

  • Zionist Shill

#20

View PostMarscaleb, on 15 June 2019 - 05:43 AM, said:

This seems like a really intense fix. "We're just gonna kill part of your OS while this game runs, don't worry..." I haven't seen a game do this since I was running Rebel Assault on a mac when I was in middle school....

But that aside, um, how exactly do I enable that bat to run when I'm using YANG to launch the game?


It's not intense at all. It's just one batch file. It's much simpler than the solution on the Yang website that requires registry edits or whatever. Killing explorer is a very safe procedure. Starting it back up again is just as safe (the task manager method I mentioned).

To run it with Yang, create a text file in the folder that contains duke3d_w32.exe, and paste in the batch file I posted. Rename the text file win7colorfix.bat. Link Yang to the batch file instead of the .exe file.

View PostMarscaleb, on 15 June 2019 - 05:43 AM, said:

And, since we're talking about YANG, I'm trying to set up YANG for Shadow Warrior too. I've got the GOG version installed on thee computers, and if I use the multiplayer shortcut GOG provided, it works just fine, but I'd rather use YANG since it can save my IP addresses and stuff. So I told YANG to use the DOS Box that's in the SW folder, but when it launches it is in a window instead of fullscreen. How do I fix this? Also, how would I launch in one of the expansions?


Shadow Warrior is outside my experience, but if I were to go about getting it to work with Yang, I would just create a new directory with SWP and SW.GRP from the game files (as well as the expansion GRP files). I would then create mod profiles with each expansion (in Settings>TCs and MODs).

This post has been edited by Radar: 15 June 2019 - 06:30 AM

0

User is offline   Marscaleb 

#21

View PostRadar, on 15 June 2019 - 06:22 AM, said:

Link Yang to the batch file instead of the .exe file.


Success! I now have a stable version of Duke that is running on everything I've tested so far!
Looks like I'm going to have Duke at the Gaming Con this year! (Only took me four years to get something I wanted form the start. :P)
0

User is offline   Radar 

  • Zionist Shill

#22

View PostMarscaleb, on 15 June 2019 - 07:05 AM, said:

Success! I now have a stable version of Duke that is running on everything I've tested so far!
Looks like I'm going to have Duke at the Gaming Con this year! (Only took me four years to get something I wanted form the start. :P)


No probs man. I'll also mention that launching XDuke in windowed mode also fixes the WIn7 color issues, but IMO that takes away from the immersion.


I always miss playing with XDuke and HDuke more often in the past. They are so easy on the eyes. There is something wrong with EDuke32 that I've been trying to figure out for months. I always get headaches when playing it. But XDuke is just so smooth and doesn't create a knot in my forehead.


I played online every day from 2010 to 2015. Some of my best Internet experiences were from those days.
0

User is offline   Marscaleb 

#23

So, after the con I have a new opinion of xDuke.

It was running fine when I was setting everything up before the con, and most of the time it was pretty stable. But some of the computers would run into the palette glitch I saw on my windows 7 machine. It was random, and seemed to be more likely when there were more connections in the game. And on one machine it ran into a glitch where the "open" button didn't work, except when you hit the escape key.
Oh yeah, and there was no automatic end of a match when someone hit a score or limit. That was kinda annoying; it results in people playing until they are bored which means they stop playing.

Yang worked out very well though. I also used it for Shadow Warrior, and I think next year I might add Blood and Decent to the list, since YANG made it so easy.

Next year I'm going to try giving eDuke another shot; hopefully the game-crashing bug I had will be fixed by then. And hey, maybe even the client-server update will be ready, since the Ion maiden developers suggested that they would port over their code for that when Ion Maiden was done.
0

User is offline   Radar 

  • Zionist Shill

#24

The color glitch will be caused if perhaps you tab out while in game. You also might get it within the first second of launch, then it will clear up. About the use key not working, check the key bindings or if the button works.

You can set frag limits in HDuke. Use /y in the 'extra args' parameter to set the argument. For example, /y50 will end the game at 50 kills.

If you don't have HDuke, I'll see if I can upload it. The site went offline awhile ago (hosted by our local HellFire, who doesn't want to put it back up for now :D).

This post has been edited by Gaydar: 02 July 2019 - 11:43 AM

0

User is offline   Striker 

  • Auramancer

#25

Sorry I haven't got those fixes done. I was hospitalized multiple times in the last week and a half.
1

User is offline   Photonic 

#26

Sorry to hear that Striker, hope all is well.
0

User is offline   Forge 

#27

get well. or better. or the situation resolves itself in a positive way.
0

User is offline   Striker 

  • Auramancer

#28

View PostPhotonic, on 02 July 2019 - 02:32 PM, said:

Sorry to hear that Striker, hope all is well.

Feeling a little bit better. A medication I was taking had paralyzed my upper GI tract and stopped almost all production of stomach acid, so anything I ate would become rancid and never move through until it was basically poisonous to me. Also caused anything in my small intestine to back up into my stomach, which was probably the worst part of it. Anyhow, now that I figured out what was going on, I stopped that medication and things have been functioning again.
2

User is offline   Radar 

  • Zionist Shill

#29

Jesus Christ dude. Glad you're ok now.
0

User is offline   Marscaleb 

#30

 Striker, on 02 July 2019 - 11:20 AM, said:

Sorry I haven't got those fixes done.

The issue I was having wasn't really about the discord launcher code, it was eDuke itself perma-crashing on some of my machines. That's what I'm hoping gets fixed before next year's con.
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Fury! ;) © 2019 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options