Duke4.net Forums: Commando Ninja - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Commando Ninja

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Honestly it's fucking ridiculous and very stupid, but it was damn fun. Lot's of visual Easter Eggs thrown in, including a nice references to things like Kung Fury, and Turbo Kid.

It's even got a few nice moments that actually stop being self-aware 80s camp and actually just feel like the film makers having fun.

Oh, and there's a creature that might as well be a Pig Cop that get's cut in half by a chain gun. Violence, tits, one-liners, and the scenery changes quite a bit. Obviously it's strongly based on Commando, but it pays tribute and directly replicates bits of Big Trouble in Little China, Rambo, Terminator, Predator, and Mad Max.

Honestly, in certain respects this almost feels like a Duke Nukem movie. Some of the one-liners and moments are quite Duke-ish.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I hate these cringe-laden nostalgia exploitation films that don't understand 80s filmmaking whatsoever.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I saw this back when it came out, enjoyed it more than any movie released today.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostJimmy 100MPH, on 30 May 2019 - 07:03 PM, said:

I hate these cringe-laden nostalgia exploitation films that don't understand 80s filmmaking whatsoever.

It's like you described synthwave.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I watched it tonight, I skimmed some of the slow parts but saw most of it. The action is hilariously well-executed. The rooftop fight is actually a very competently choreographed and executed martial arts scene with some silly elements shoehorned in. Loved the silly gore. The film falls down when action is not happening, and that's a surprising amount. The film can't decide what it wants to parody and jumps around between action sub-genres. Also at times it becomes simply a bad film rather than parody of badfilm. Impressive overall with some fun moments. By the way, it's a French film, which is why the American cultural references are all slightly off.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options