Duke4.net Forums: how do you change a floor's palette without changing the lighting? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how do you change a floor's palette without changing the lighting?

User is offline   windeye001 

I'll err on the side of being overly-specific. In places in the Duke Nukem 3D campaign, there are pools of blood that, I think, are sectors drawn to the shape of how the blood would pool in context, then the palette is changed to red. Unusually (based on my knowledge of Mapster32), in these cases, when you stand over the floor with a red palette, the "lighting" / your character’s hand+weapon animations are not re-colored. How do you prevent a floor’s palette from "lighting" the sector’s sprites and the player character? Are they two systems (pallette and "lighting"), and the tutorial I’m using conflates them, or is there an obscure workaround? Thanks.

User is offline   LakiSoft 

As far i know some palletes will change SOME colors of textures but not all. Exmaple paletes like this:

1 - turns everything in blue
2 - turns everything in red
6 - turns everything in green
7 - turns everything in yellow
8 - turns everything in green second varriant
21 - turns only blue parts to red
22 - turns only blue parts to green
23 - turns only blue parts to yellow
24 - turns white and silever parts of texture\sprite to orange\red but keeping other oclor intact. Exmaple if you PAL 24 on Pig Cop he will look he have red bloody teeth, etc..

Hope i helped a bit.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It’s also possible that those instances simply had a red version of the art available.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

There is no way to avoid this within a map alone. In EDuke32, you can add def code such as:

// disable the floorpal effect for this inclusive range of pals
nofloorpalrange 10 25

// disable the floorpal effect for a single pal
palookup 21 { nofloorpal }

// copy the all-remapping pals to new slots and disable the floorpal effect for these copies
palookup 31 { copy 1 nofloorpal }
palookup 32 { copy 2 nofloorpal }
palookup 37 { copy 7 nofloorpal }
palookup 38 { copy 8 nofloorpal }

View PostGingis Khan, on 22 May 2019 - 03:06 PM, said:

As far i know some palletes will change SOME colors of textures but not all.

This is misleading and unreliable on its own. All palettes in Duke affect sprites in sectors when assigned to a floor. It is very poor practice to consider pals other than 1/2/7/8 a workaround for the floorpal issue without also applying def code.

User is offline   windeye001 

Thanks.

User is offline   LakiSoft 

View PostHendricks266, on 22 May 2019 - 03:34 PM, said:

There is no way to avoid this within a map alone. In EDuke32, you can add def code such as:

// disable the floorpal effect for this inclusive range of pals
nofloorpalrange 10 25

// disable the floorpal effect for a single pal
palookup 21 { nofloorpal }

// copy the all-remapping pals to new slots and disable the floorpal effect for these copies
palookup 31 { copy 1 nofloorpal }
palookup 32 { copy 2 nofloorpal }
palookup 37 { copy 7 nofloorpal }
palookup 38 { copy 8 nofloorpal }

This is misleading and unreliable on its own. All palettes in Duke affect sprites in sectors when assigned to a floor. It is very poor practice to consider pals other than 1/2/7/8 a workaround for the floorpal issue without also applying def code.

What i actually wanted to point out is that if he uses pallete like 21 for example, the weapon first person sprites would not show much of a difference, of coruse mighty boot that will change to red pants is an exception. Again monsters which steps in to this sector will got red clathig, good examples are Assault Trooper's jetpack and Pig Cop's uniform. But what i wanted to point out is that is better to use this alternative than actual palletes like 1 or 2 which will turn every color of sprite\texture to blue\red, assuming he's new at mapping. I also do suck at CON and DEF coding so i don't have knowledge here.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options