Duke4.net Forums: I'm back, with a new map EDFScienceBaseMap - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I'm back, with a new map EDFScienceBaseMap  "testers wanted"

User is offline   One Man Army 

  • 14

#1

I have been working on this map for five months, it is 95% complete.
Check it out and tell me what you think, good the bad and the ugly.

The game starts off with duke fighting aliens on the city streets, and then he makes his way into EDF base.

Download my map here:
http://www.mediafire...pFiles.zip/file
1

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer
  • 3,849

#2

What version of Eduke32 are you using?

I cannot swim over this barrier: https://imgur.com/FrBgEaW

This might be due to the recent clipping overhaul.
0

User is offline   Gingis Khan 

  • 40

#3

The map was nice. Only thing i find out incorrect was Blue keycard door. Sicne you made it an ACTIVATOR DOOR, once you put Blue Keycard, door opens, but then if you don't enter quick, door closes, and you are unable to go fuhrer, without cheating. So in htis i recommend you to make this DOOR LOCKED instead of ACTIVATOR DOOR, but another alternative method would be if you delete Sector Effector which makes door closes itself after delay, if you want to keep ACTIVATOR method i mean. Otherwise, map was pretty good and i really enjoyed it. Keep up good work!
0

User is offline   Zaxtor 

  • 1,757

#4

Or you can use masterswitches and a (lock if you don't want the door to be closable)
but don't put a delayer

Trequonia TC's Status:
Levels : 100% done - Textures : 100% done - Sounds : 100% done - Musics :100% done
Mod is finished, going to test it.
Trequonia's Official website
0

User is offline   One Man Army 

  • 14

#5

Appreciate the feedback, the problems have been fixed, here is the updated version 0.2.
http://www.mediafire...les0.2.zip/file

The new updates include:
Fixed the problem with getting stuck on the underwater barriers,
Fixed the underwater tunnel that the player descends through to get to the metro station, now you can get back through it.
Fixed the door with the blue key card, closing door timer has been removed.
Added secret areas.
Added difficulty settings.
0

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer
  • 3,849

#6

View PostOne Man Army, on 19 May 2019 - 08:59 PM, said:

Fixed the problem with getting stuck on the underwater barriers,


Am I correct in assuming that this problem only exists in snapshots after the clipping overhaul? If so, then it was actually an eduke bug.
0

User is offline   One Man Army 

  • 14

#7

View PostTrooper Dan, on 20 May 2019 - 04:11 PM, said:

Am I correct in assuming that this problem only exists in snapshots after the clipping overhaul? If so, then it was actually an eduke bug.



I was using an old version of mapster32, I downloaded the new version and have the same clipping problems as you did.
I had to make several adjustments to the height of the sprites and ceilings to allow Duke to pass around them.

If anyone has nothing else to add, then I'm going to be publishing my map soon.
0

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer
  • 3,849

#8

I was just going to suggest, on those parts where the street is broken making the little pits with exposed pipes, put water at the bottom.
0

User is offline   One Man Army 

  • 14

#9

View PostTrooper Dan, on 22 May 2019 - 09:14 PM, said:

I was just going to suggest, on those parts where the street is broken making the little pits with exposed pipes, put water at the bottom.



Those holes where the ground caves in and explodes, is the same special effect seem in Episode 1, Level 2...
The ceiling blew up and enemies fell from the sky, but in my level I reversed the effect.

If you creep out the door you can see the the holes are covered by the street, until you hit the touch plate triggering the ground the cave in and explode.

If the texture is changed on the bottom of those holes, then you can tell there's water on top of the street before they explode, it won't look right.
0

User is offline   Paul B 

  • 499

#10

View PostOne Man Army, on 23 May 2019 - 09:06 PM, said:

Those holes where the ground caves in and explodes, is the same special effect seem in Episode 1, Level 2...
The ceiling blew up and enemies fell from the sky, but in my level I reversed the effect.

If you creep out the door you can see the the holes are covered by the street, until you hit the touch plate triggering the ground the cave in and explode.

If the texture is changed on the bottom of those holes, then you can tell there's water on top of the street before they explode, it won't look right.



So is this map still a work in progress or can I take the latest published release on this forum and upload it to my site?
0

User is offline   One Man Army 

  • 14

#11

View PostPaul B, on 27 May 2019 - 07:51 AM, said:

So is this map still a work in progress or can I take the latest published release on this forum and upload it to my site?



I just uploaded the map version 0.2 to dukemaps.net, it will take a couple of days before they get around to publishing it.
So it's ok for you to upload this map here on the forums to your site.
1

User is offline   Paul B 

  • 499

#12

View PostOne Man Army, on 27 May 2019 - 06:16 PM, said:

I just uploaded the map version 0.2 to dukemaps.net, it will take a couple of days before they get around to publishing it.
So it's ok for you to upload this map here on the forums to your site.


So what are you saying the service at Dukemaps.net is slow? LOL!!! I'm a one man army!
0

User is offline   Paul B 

  • 499

#13

I had some time to play this map and was using EDuke version r7627. In the shrinker section of the map there was no way I could complete that section without cheating. I couldn't make the jump up to the vent from the computer system. I also was unable to make the jump to obtain the red key card.

The map can be downloaded from here: https://www.dukemaps.net/?p=13107

Some thoughts: The map contained some really impressive large sections of sprite work, which was very awesome. There were a lot of creative ideas poured into this map, however I felt that the grandness of the map was over shadowed by the lack of attention to details and texture problems and the design felt a bit rushed in some areas. I also experienced a weird texture problem with a paralaxed sky. I started off playing the map in 8Bit-Classic then mid stream got tired of seeing visual problems with sprite objects and switched to Polymost which performed much better for displaying sprites but it may have been what introduced the Paralaxed sky problem (which I saw from an exploding ceiling section of the map). I also found the ammo & health supply to be a bit stingy when faced with hordes of AI respawns. But it was an interesting and fun map to play. By the way I really thought that Shrinker section of the map was very cool! I like how you implemented that section I can't remember seeing that style of gameplay incorporated in another Duke map.


This post has been edited by Paul B: 28 May 2019 - 10:18 AM

1

User is offline   Crazyboy88 

  • 0

#14

It's good to see this map in action.
0

User is offline   One Man Army 

  • 14

#15

View PostPaul B, on 28 May 2019 - 09:49 AM, said:

I had some time to play this map and was using EDuke version r7627. In the shrinker section of the map there was no way I could complete that section without cheating. I couldn't make the jump up to the vent from the computer system. I also was unable to make the jump to obtain the red key card.

The map can be downloaded from here: https://www.dukemaps.net/?p=13107

Some thoughts: The map contained some really impressive large sections of sprite work, which was very awesome. There were a lot of creative ideas poured into this map, however I felt that the grandness of the map was over shadowed by the lack of attention to details and texture problems and the design felt a bit rushed in some areas. I also experienced a weird texture problem with a paralaxed sky. I started off playing the map in 8Bit-Classic then mid stream got tired of seeing visual problems with sprite objects and switched to Polymost which performed much better for displaying sprites but it may have been what introduced the Paralaxed sky problem (which I saw from an exploding ceiling section of the map). I also found the ammo & health supply to be a bit stingy when faced with hordes of AI respawns. But it was an interesting and fun map to play. By the way I really thought that Shrinker section of the map was very cool! I like how you implemented that section I can't remember seeing that style of gameplay incorporated in another Duke map.



I made the fixes better late than never.
Now it's possible to jump up onto the computer, and now you can jump up and get the red key card.
Here's the latest version 0.3
http://www.mediafire...Map0.3.zip/file

On your site where you publish my map you can switch out the version 0.2 with version 0.3.


In the starting room and go into the hall you see a picture behind it there some armor, and in the vent shaft connecting the large room with pillars to the dark room with boxes, there's a secret area with a Chaingun Cannon.
0

User is offline   Paul B 

  • 499

#16

View PostOne Man Army, on 28 May 2019 - 05:09 PM, said:

I made the fixes better late than never.
Now it's possible to jump up onto the computer, and now you can jump up and get the red key card.
Here's the latest version 0.3
http://www.mediafire...Map0.3.zip/file

On your site where you publish my map you can switch out the version 0.2 with version 0.3.


In the starting room and go into the hall you see a picture behind it there some armor, and in the vent shaft connecting the large room with pillars to the dark room with boxes, there's a secret area with a Chaingun Cannon.



Using the latest map download version (0.3) I didn't have a problem accessing the vent or the red key card. However, the Shrinker room when everything is at normal scale you forgot to include the extra step for visual balance as the main room and the shrunken version should appear identical. The newly added step only appears in the shrunken sector.

The health was more than fair this time around. It helps when you play with sound when you're not at work. =)

Ammo was conservative right up until the end, but I'm not sure why you prevent the player from back tracking once they reach the Dark EDF base section where the RPG secret is. I forgot to pick up the chain gun in the top tiered sprite building and I couldn't go back to get it. The only time I was able to use the Chaingun was right at the end of the level where one is provided. The Chain gun would have worked nicely earlier on in this level to even things out, maybe near the blue key card at the top of that destroyed building in replacement of the ammo clip. Perhaps the chain gun hidden in the first multi-tiered building could be a freezer gun instead? Just throwing some ideas out there.

Something else to consider: In that multi-tiered building with all those elevators that take you up and down the different floors you used a masked blockable sprite at the rear of the elevators. You should go back and also make the rear sector wall block able as Duke sometimes gets caught in the elevator as it travels up/down Please block both so Duke doesn't get squished or caught in the elevators when in motion.

When I grabbed the latest file from these forums I noticed there wasn't a readme attached with the zip. I'll try and recover the file I deleted from Dukemaps to restore the readme file otherwise I may need the readme file again for the site.

Thanks.


This post has been edited by Paul B: 28 May 2019 - 09:00 PM

0

User is offline   One Man Army 

  • 14

#17

View PostPaul B, on 28 May 2019 - 08:23 PM, said:


I'm not sure why you prevent the player from back tracking once they reach the Dark EDF base section where the RPG secret is. I forgot to pick up the chain gun in the top tiered sprite building and I couldn't go back to get it.

I wanted this map to be linear, there's no turning back, Duke must enter into the darkness where he will fight hordes of alien monsters.
Duke fought a hard battle and then he had to face against his worst nightmare.

The elevator problem fixed.
And in the dark room with boxes, I put a freezer gun in the back.
The new download includes a readme file and pictures.

Here's the latest version 0.4.
http://www.mediafire...ase0.4.zip/file

This post has been edited by One Man Army: 29 May 2019 - 08:11 PM

0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Maiden! ;) © 2018 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options