Duke4.net Forums: Rage 2 - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rage 2

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Anyone else getting this?

I'm buying it largely on the strength of the ID tech. The guns and core gameplay look solid. Also, I'm looking forward to a fps that is simply singleplayer with no bullshit. I do have misgivings about the open world design and vehicle stuff, though.

User is offline   Hank 

I am. Love Rage and hopefully Rage 2 is a great successor.

This post has been edited by Hank: 13 May 2019 - 08:31 PM

User is offline   ---- 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 13 May 2019 - 07:46 PM, said:

I'm buying it largely on the strength of the ID tech.

I bought it and waited for reviews, then got a refund without playing it because the reviews pointed out the negative points I feared it would have and would be deal-/gamebreakers for me.

Two things to point out (but weren't the reason for the refund):

There are microtransactions (for a sp campaign ... you can buy ingame currency for new skins and buying gear).

Also, it is not using idTech.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 13 May 2019 - 09:23 PM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Like always, I am waiting for sales. Ratings also indicate this isn't a title you need to play right away.

For me Doom Eternal has a much higher priority than this, regardless of the ratings.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostNightFright, on 13 May 2019 - 09:35 PM, said:

Like always, I am waiting for sales. Ratings also indicate this isn't a title you need to play right away.

For me Doom Eternal has a much higher priority than this, regardless of the ratings.

Basically this. Hope there aren't any microtransactions in Doom Eternal.

It also didn't help that announcing Rage 2 will use Denuvo at start and having to use the Bethesda-Launcher when using the Steam version only 2 days before release.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 13 May 2019 - 09:47 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postfuegerstef, on 13 May 2019 - 09:01 PM, said:

Also, it is not using idTech.

What was Id's role in development? Id is given credit along with Avalanche for developing it, and from the gameplay footage I have seen, the weapon's and rendering are very reminiscent of Doom 2016.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 13 May 2019 - 11:17 PM, said:

What was Id's role in development? Id is given credit along with Avalanche for developing it, and from the gameplay footage I have seen, the weapon's and rendering are very reminiscent of Doom 2016.

Consulting and producing, basically the same arrangement like when they collaborated with Raven (1994-2009) before the Zenimax acquisition. Despite Bethesda's misleading marketing, this is entirely Avalanche Studios' game. The company's founder and CEO was really pissed off when some previews said id designed the gunplay, something the publisher never went out of their way to address or correct:

Posted Image

https://twitter.com/...642085429022720

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 13 May 2019 - 11:32 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I don't think Christopher is giving enough credit to Id, then, because from what I've seen and read, the guns and combat look very Doom 2016. Maybe Id let them borrow a lot of their assets, so while the Id team didn't actually help directly, they essentially lent out the soul of Doom to Avalanche.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 13 May 2019 - 07:46 PM, said:

Well it's not like there's a far better game to get that's just released on PC a few days ago right?
Posted Image

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostxMobilemux, on 14 May 2019 - 02:12 AM, said:

Well it's not like there's a far better game to get that's just released on PC a few days ago right?

This one?

User is offline   xMobilemux 

View PostX-Vector, on 14 May 2019 - 02:23 AM, said:

This one?

That's news to me, 13 hours into the game and have had no problems at all.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Although that thread is not an argument (because apparently Rage 2 runs like shit), Kiwami 2 is still better than anything Bethesda produces these days (and it also runs better than Rage 2). Not that it's difficult to make a game better than Bethesda's and Rage 2 seems to be yet another overhyped AAA garbage which should surprise no one. What's funny though is that there is a better chance for Kiwami 2 being fixed since Zero and Kiwami 1 had pretty good support, something what can't be said about almost every Bethesda game. Pretty sure the only Bethesda's semi-stable game with extended support was Doom reboot.

Anyway, this was mentioned, but I figured it's worth posting:
Posted Image

Also, it seems that Bethesda.net version has no Denuvo (unless they already patched that) so the game was cracked a few moments ago.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 14 May 2019 - 04:36 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Game seems okay so far. I'm only a couple hours in.

I'm surprised by how much they carried over from the original Rage. I know it's literally called Rage 2, but I didn't expect things like the job boards or the Mutant Bash TV clown head models to be ripped right out and imported as assets. They didn't bring some of the old characters like Dan Hagar for likely reasons (not wanting to pay for John Goodman I imagine) but there's still a lot of continuity.

So far it does seem like its going to be a grind like Mad Max was which is a shame. The combat is good though the vehicles feel worse than they did in MM (and even Rage 1). Played a 2 lap race and one of the AI racers glitched and only did one lap yet it counted as two and so they won halfway through the race. That was pretty irritating. The convoys (group of vehicles all driving together you have to destroy one by one) from Mad Max are back which was my favorite part of that game, I can't wait to start fighting them.

I've heard it gets better after the first few hours. It has run perfect for me so far with no performance issues or anything. Also the open world opens up about 15 minutes in which I always appreciate.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 14 May 2019 - 05:26 PM

User is offline   ---- 

View PostHulkNukem, on 14 May 2019 - 05:25 PM, said:

Game seems okay so far. I'm only a couple hours in.

... <quote snipped to not blow up my post> ...

Ok, what you described, seems in line with most of the reviews I read and with what most users say (which is why I got my refund and wait until it is $20 or $30).

But I have a few more questions for when you have completed the campaign, which is said to be quite short for an open world game:
- Is the story really that short?
- Is the story really that bland and boring?
- Is the writing really that cringe worthy?
- Despite the poor handling of the vehicles ... are they still some fun to drive?
- is there really not much to explore in the open world between the hubs/cities?
- Is the crafting menu really that bad?

I plan on maybe getting it before the game is down to $20, if one says it is worth it. Additionally denuvo seems to be cracked, so I assume it is gone soon and audio issues and AI glitches are expected to be patched in a few weeks.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 14 May 2019 - 11:21 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Got the game +DLC package on cdkeys.com for $40. I have played it for just over 2 hours. So far I'm liking it. It runs smooth and I haven't encountered any serious bugs. The gunplay is good, it looks nice, and there are plenty of things to do. The story is bland and inoffensive so far, and there's not much to be said about it. After the tutorials and some exploring in the overworld, I finished my first dungeon, which was the sewer under Gunbarrel town. The dungeon was fun, and I kind of wish the whole game was just a series of dungeon levels (but of course I like 90's shooters, so...). I'm not saying the open world is terrible, but in my experience it can waste lots of your time with driving around gathering resources and little tasks that get repetitive. I'm still very early in the game, though.

My one real gripe so far is that I have to use the Bethesda launcher to play it, and unlike Steam it doesn't talk to my PS4 controller. So I had to install an external app DS4Windows which tricks Rage 2 into thinking that it's an Xbox controller. The controller compatibility on PC has an issue, or at least it does on my system, which is that there is a huge dead zone on the analog sticks, making it difficult to do fine movements and aiming. I know this is not a problem with the hardware or controller driver, because I can test it in the control panel. EDIT: I can adjust the dead-zone in the DS4W profile, which helps but causes glitches during subtle movements.

I used to prefer keyboard and mouse for shooters, but in modern shooters that have a zillion different buttons for special abilities and whatnot, I can't find a good keyboard configuration, especially since I'm left-handed and using a laptop.

Anyway, unless the game starts to really suck, I will get my money's worth.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 15 May 2019 - 12:02 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

*sees purchasable in-game currency*

Nah, I'm good. I wasn't that interested anyway.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Mad Max made by the same developer seems to be more fun than this one (though it's quite empty and boring as well). Speaking of which, pretty sure there are rumors that Rage 2 was supposed to be Mad Max 2 at first which is also why there are some reused assets. That would also explain why Rage 2 is a thing, even though the first game was a failure.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 15 May 2019 - 05:15 AM

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

The open world video game formula: Watch Duke kick some ass...then watch Duke go to the toilet, realize he ran out of TP, run to the store, but on the way he has to save a cat from a tree. Back to kicking ass, but oh no!!! Duke's muscles have grown weak, spam E to do some quick pushups before jumping back into action. Yay! you've foiled the evildoers big plan, now all you need to do is to slaughter a herd of buffalo for their meat so you're strong enough for the next mission! How are you going to slaughter the herd without a bow and arrows? Go and craft some with your crafting tools! Who sells the crafting tools? Why it's Mr Fuckface over at Jellybean Mountain who will only sell you the tools if you impregnate his three daughters!

User is offline   ---- 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 14 May 2019 - 11:43 PM, said:

Got the game +DLC package on cdkeys.com for $40.

I decided to get it there too, now. And the money I saved was spent on Metro Exodus. <_<

I would have been happy to spend the full price if it was a full game ... but since all aspects inbetween the shooting sections seem to be mediocre or less I also decided to only pay for the shooting. :)

I will write down my review when I finished it.

First Impressions:
The game should really have been named Bland 2.

The story is as boring as it can get. They should hire a writer next time. And the characters you meet don't fit the over the top setting the game was marketed with. The people you meet are the versions of crazy or badass characters an accountant who did nothing but accounting his whole life would imagine as "postapocalyptic tough guys". Jeez.

Even worse is the way the story is presented in and told. During the run of the mill intro and tutorial mission the hardest challenge is to stay awake to push the buttons you are required to push to proceed.
And let's be honest: Videogames are an interactive medium, so having the story told by extremely long and boring audiologs while standing still in an otherwise empty chamber and watching an almost static hologram may have worked for the hazard course tutorial for HL1 ... but that was 20 years ago and we should be at a point where a story in an interactive medium is presented in a more interactive way or while you are interacting with the world you are in.

Let's hope the first real mission is better.

EDIT:
And the shooting mechanics are OK so far (as said, only played the tutorial mission). Quite generic, Not bad, nothing really special, but OK.
I don't know what version of Doom 2016 people played when they say the shooting is like in Doom. They either have a different version than I do or they arey people who aren't capable of seeing nuances (but tbh: at least during the intro mission it is further away from the gunplay in Doom than only one or two nuances). Let's see, if the shooting becomes more like Doom, when I have other guns and abilities.

EDIT 2:
Graphics aren't on par with Rage 1. They feel (sorry for repeating myself): bland. It's something about the textures that makes the world feel a tad too clean and not very detailed. Well, it isn't id Tech.

And I have the sound bugs too that a lot of people are having. Audiofiles aren't played (had three of them not playing before starting first real mission), which makes the already boring monologues somehow even more boring. :P

EDIT 3:
There is probably an enjoyable game underneath Rage 2. But the vehicles feel totally off too and the first ragdolled corpse (human) I wanted to drive over stopped my huge vehicle immediately. Good thing I also purchesed and Downloaded Metro Exodus. Switching games now.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 15 May 2019 - 10:35 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Having it played it some more last night, I've come to realize that Rage 2 is one of those games where you have to make your own fun. The shooting is good, and there is fun to be had, but there's also lots of tedium to be had. Skip all NPC dialogue or else your brain will turn to mush. Luckily it is all skippable. Ignore the main story as much as possible and go for the Arks, where you get new weapons and upgrades. This will make combat better and when you do advance the story it will go more quickly because you won't be dying (of course you might die going for the Arks if you are underpowered). With that in mind, I'm going to keep playing off and on at least until I get an ending.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 15 May 2019 - 11:03 AM, said:

Having it played it some more last night, I've come to realize that Rage 2 is one of those games where you have to make your own fun. The shooting is good, and there is fun to be had, but there's also lots of tedium to be had. Skip all NPC dialogue or else your brain will turn to mush. Luckily it is all skippable. Ignore the main story as much as possible and go for the Arks, where you get new weapons and upgrades. This will make combat better and when you do advance the story it will go more quickly because you won't be dying (of course you might die going for the Arks if you are underpowered). With that in mind, I'm going to keep playing off and on at least until I get an ending.

Yeah, will do so too. Play now and then.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 15 May 2019 - 11:03 AM, said:

I'm about 6 hours in and I'd agree with this sentiment.
The combat is absolutely the standout in the entire package and some of the cool enemy interactions/animations from Rage are here too, like mutants climbing walls or pipes to jump at you or some of the human raider interactions.

There's definitely stuff to do in the open world though it isn't anything that will blow your mind. There's some Far Cry-like outposts that need taking over or mutant nests that need cleared or road blocks that need raised and all of these have chests thrown about that you will need to use to upgrade stuff (its pretty much exactly like it was in Mad Max with a 2/6 chests found type counter or LOCATION CLEARED when you find everything in the area).
That said, I've only done a couple of these and already I ran into a copy and paste gas station location twice. They had some slight differences but it was clearly the same location. Hoping there isn't too much of that.

The city locations are pretty great to explore, Wellspring especially has some really great visuals. Kinda weird they have Wellspring in the game though the area surrounding it looks nothing like it did in Rage 1 (and no, the game taking place however many years after Rage 1 wouldn't excuse all the canyons all of a sudden being gone). Also it is really cool that there isn't any load screens when going from open world to a city to a dungeon. It's actually a little jarring to be honest, but its nice.

User is offline   ---- 

Those who want basically Rage 2 for a lower price can now buy Mad Max on Steam for $4,99 (I assume it is $4.99 as I only checked the German store where it is listed at the same price in Euros).

It is Postapocalyptic Weekend on Steam and a lot of postapocalyptic games are on sale.

https://store.steamp...st_apocalyptic/

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postfuegerstef, on 16 May 2019 - 10:05 AM, said:

Those who want basically Rage 2 for a lower price can now buy Mad Max on Steam for $4,99 (I assume it is $4.99 as I only checked the German store where it is listed at the same price in Euros).

Max Max is half vehicles, half beat 'em up. Rage 2 is 1/3 vehicles, 2/3 shooter.

• The Truth is in here

Wow, they already removed Denuvo from the game. Bethesda sometimes reacts fast when they realize they gotta do something ("We saw a few requests"), you have to give them that.

This actually removes one of the two major roadblocks for me quite early. Now it's just a matter of price.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 18 May 2019 - 08:38 AM

User is offline   ---- 

View PostNightFright, on 18 May 2019 - 08:34 AM, said:

Wow, they already removed Denuvo from the game. Bethesda sometimes reacts fast when they realize they gotta do something ("We saw a few requests"), you have to give them that.

This actually removes one of the two major roadblocks for me quite early. Now it's just a matter of price.

I would honestly rarther have the forced autoaim in vehicles removed instead of Denuvo (especially as performance is said to be lower after Denuvos removal.)

Also:
I manged to look past all the issues with the game and it's story, it's characters etc ... until I reached a roadblock on my first vehicle ride (which was already bad enough due to the crappy handling and the broken collision model) and saw a few baddies standing next to explosive barrels ... and I couldn't shoot the barrels as the bloody autoaim always targeted the people next to it. Yes, when everyone was dead I could shoot the barrels.

That was the moment I gave up on Rage 2 and maybe come back if they patch the worst gameplay offenders (I unfortunately think it is too late to completely rewrite the story and redesign the characters <_< ).

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 18 May 2019 - 10:24 AM

• The Truth is in here

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if the game already had a 40-50% discount during summer sale. But let's see. I can wait longer with this one. Doom Eternal should be a lot better unless id drops the ball completely.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

So you can't turn the auto-aim off?

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 May 2019 - 10:43 AM, said:

So you can't turn the auto-aim off?

No, honestly. You can't. Well, for vehicles you can't. I searched on the web and on the Steam community (also made a thread there about the autoaim). There are several threads (you have to search for "aim assist" instead of autoaim* to find them) and all answers are: you can't.

*) Bloody millenials (it isn't an assist that hit's the enemiy if your crosshair is close to an enemy, it is complete autoaim shooting somewhere completely different than you aim at if there is an enemy around), I suspect them stupid millenials are also responsible for having forced autoaim enabled in the first place so that they can even hit a thing. Also, get off my lawn.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 18 May 2019 - 12:05 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I saw Jim's dissection of the game. I was really excited for this game. Not any more.

Boring level design, generic baddies, supposedly the car mechanics suck. Sigh.

I really liked the original RAGE. I loved the way they did the post-apocalyptic atmosphere. It had a certain reality to it. Things like Boredomlands just went full -Mad Max without any of the style or excitement.

RAGE had problems, it's open world wasn't all that open (or worldly at that). There wasn't a lot to do at the end of the day. There were other problems as well.

What it looks like, is that they took the stuff that was wrong with RAGE, and fixed some of them, but in the process, managed to throw out all that was originally there that made it so much more than just being a 'loot shooter'. After seeing the very Boredomlandy level and character design, I don't think I'll even pick it up on sale.

Bollocks.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options