Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] White Noise - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] White Noise  "Survival-Horror Mod for Eduke32"

User is offline   uLTra 

Hey everyone,
here is the offical release of my mod "White Noise".

https://www.moddb.co...ons/white-noise

Some of you already know the first map from my older thread. But since then a lot has changed.

• I made some changes in the first map. Especially in the beginning.
  • Gameplay has changed. (e.g. Autorun is enabled)
  • There are now footsteps sounds.
  • a lot more textures, sprites and sounds
  • Two new maps. Actually it was one, but I had to split it in two.
  • New enemies (no more Octabrains)

All other informations you need to know are in the readme file attached in the Zip or in the description on moddb.

To the native english speakers: If you like to help me with correcting grammar of the messages which are lying around the maps, feel free to contact me :-)

Great thanks to Zykov Eddy for helping me with coding!
And thanks to XThX2 for letting me use your footsteps code.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0016.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0002.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0004.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0003.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0006.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0012.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0009.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0010.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0014.jpg

User is offline   Mark 

Cool. I ran through the previously released map again just a couple of days ago and I hoped you were continuing to work on the project.

This post has been edited by Mark: 08 May 2019 - 09:16 AM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Will we see another playthrough for those of us that can't run polymer?

View PostuLTra, on 08 May 2019 - 06:09 AM, said:

To the native english speakers: If you like to help me with correcting grammar of the messages which are lying around the maps, feel free to contact me :-)

I'd love to step up for that, but see above.

User is offline   uLTra 

View PostMark, on 08 May 2019 - 09:15 AM, said:

Cool. I ran through the previously released map again just a couple of days ago and I hoped you were continuing to work on the project.

Well, I hope you like the update as well. Let me say, it's a lot bigger and you will have a fun time... hopefully ;-)

View PostNinety-Six, on 08 May 2019 - 11:11 AM, said:

Will we see another playthrough for those of us that can't run polymer?

I'd love to step up for that, but see above.

In the next days I will try to record a walkthrough and upload it on youtube.

Thanks for your help <_< I will get in touch with you.

This is completely different from the very first relase, i like both of them.The first one was less darker and easier, more action then, i loved the design (i was also lucky to download the one completed with all the textures).

This one is a lot darker, the player will really feel the difference, even the tougher ones will be surprised by those scary jumps.
There are a very few and minor graphics glitches (nothing to really report ) except i died running against one door in the first level (if am right, i 'll check better later).
Grammar errors: I am not english native but, everything was easly understandable, exception for some texts that are in German i think, i read things like "Schwazer" and similar words in a couple of little screens (i was worried if it was a code <_<).

Very nice set of maps with a dark atmosphere, filled with a bit of platform style, monsters that the player will be reticent to fight and creative scary jumps.

NOT EASY!

Spoiler

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 08 May 2019 - 01:01 PM

User is offline   uLTra 

View PostThe Battlelord, on 08 May 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

This is completely different from the very first relase, i like both of them.The first one was less darker and easier, more action then, i loved the design (i was also lucky to download the one completed with all the textures).

This one is a lot darker, the player will really feel the difference, even the tougher ones will be surprised by those scary jumps.
There are a very few and minor graphics glitches (nothing to really report ) except i died running against one door in the first level (if am right, i 'll check better later).
Grammar errors: I am not english native but, everything was easly understandable, exception for some texts that are in German i think, i read things like "Schwazer" and similar words in a couple of little screens (i was worried if it was a code :)).

Very nice set of maps with a dark atmosphere, filled with a bit of platform style, monsters that the player will be reticent to fight and creative scary jumps.

NOT EASY!

Spoiler

Ohhhh thank you for your little review. <_<
The message in german is just a little easter egg of a star trek: next generation spoof which is just about coffee. Nothing important for the story or map. :-)
Which door caused your death?

Spoiler

View PostuLTra, on 08 May 2019 - 01:25 PM, said:

Ohhhh thank you for your little review. <_<
The message in german is just a little easter egg of a star trek: next generation spoof which is just about coffee. Nothing important for the story or map. :-)
Which door caused your death?

Thank you for the clarificationss, as i said i did a second run and you can see the "killer door" i was talking about (even if i could not replicate the problem this time) and some other things:

No Map? I had no chance to use it.

Spoiler

View PostuLTra, on 08 May 2019 - 01:25 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

User is offline   uLTra 

View PostThe Battlelord, on 08 May 2019 - 09:20 PM, said:

Thank you for the clarificationss, as i said i did a second run and you can see the "killer door" i was talking about (even if i could not replicate the problem this time) and some other things:

Hey thank you for your time! Well, I wasn't aware of the water jump. But it's good to know.
As for the game event in the video: I used an older "technique" there. But I changed it. Now it should be steady.

No Map? I had no chance to use it.

Sorry, I removed it completely ;-)

Spoiler

Spoiler

User is offline   Mark 

Near the start where you are in the dark room with the TV and couch, I was looking around for what to so. Then I got scared when I heard a creaky floor board but I was standing still. Like a baby I crouched down behind the couch. <_<

User is offline   darkcaleb 

Great work on this little episode! <_< Creepy atmosphere :)
Are you going to work on more maps or?

User is offline   zykov eddy 

Hands down, the best horror mod for Duke 3D ever & best mod of the year. Perfect atmosphere, scares, gameplay... Grammar needs some work and I suggest to replace the doom sprites with something less overused, otherwise this is top notch.

User is offline   uLTra 

View PostMark, on 09 May 2019 - 02:06 PM, said:

Near the start where you are in the dark room with the TV and couch, I was looking around for what to so. Then I got scared when I heard a creaky floor board but I was standing still. Like a baby I crouched down behind the couch. :lol:

Well, appararently I did something right :)

View Postdarkcaleb, on 11 May 2019 - 02:13 AM, said:

Great work on this little episode! <_< Creepy atmosphere :P
Are you going to work on more maps or?

Thanks. It was very time consuming just creating the last map and I literally desperated too much^^ I need a little break of mapping now.

View Postzykov eddy, on 11 May 2019 - 06:29 AM, said:

Hands down, the best horror mod for Duke 3D ever & best mod of the year. Perfect atmosphere, scares, gameplay... Grammar needs some work and I suggest to replace the doom sprites with something less overused, otherwise this is top notch.

Thanks man! But without your help it wouldn't have become the mod it is now.

User is offline   uLTra 

Hey there,

finally I managed to record a walkthrough of the whole "white noise mod". Including now the 'second map' which is the triple size of the first.

Grab your popcorn, lean back and enjoy the ride.
But I suggest you better experience it by yourself if you can :-)

See you!

Sweet. Thanks for the video.

OOOOoooh
Creepy

This post has been edited by Truck Stop Santa Claus: 19 June 2019 - 09:14 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I can't say enough good things about this mapping masterpiece. I would have to make a list as I go along because there were so many things I liked. The phasing into different areas, clever ways to get into rooms, just the right amount of details in rooms. Not empty and not too cluttered to get stuck on things. The lighting, new sounds and graphics. The jumpscares. It was all so cool.

It was great as-is but only a couple of minor things that detracted from the experience. Since so many new custom sounds were used, it was a shame to hear some of the same old vanilla sounds I've been hearing for 20 years. Even though I'm a huge fan of using model enemies, using sprites in this mod was OK. Again, because of so much other custom content being used I wish the enemies were not the old familiar ones.

Great job. Its going to be hard to top this in your next project. :D

View PostMark, on 20 June 2019 - 08:44 AM, said:

Again, because of so much other custom content being used I wish the enemies were not the old familiar ones.

The only enemies that were reused were the Protector Drones, (which were recolored and behave differently) and the
Spoiler
at the end, which was unchanged.

User is offline   Mark 

and the doom guys

View PostMark, on 21 June 2019 - 03:23 AM, said:

and the doom guys

Well, yeah, but I thought you meant "new to Duke 3D", since all the custom textures and stuff came from different places too (most notably Half-Life, which was also the source for the pistol and shotgun firing sounds). So I'm a little confused about what you mean...

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 21 June 2019 - 10:24 AM

User is offline   Mark 

switches,some doors, explosions, menu and title sounds and others I can't think of right now. It was enough for me to notice right away.

I have a Mapster script somewhere on my drive I haven't used in a few years that when run will show a list of vanilla texture ( and sound, not sure ) file numbers used in a map. Its not worth finding and running because as I said it was only a distraction to hear them. Nothing bad. What alerted me to it was right from the start it was those same tired old 3 explosions during the title screen.

This post has been edited by Mark: 21 June 2019 - 11:43 AM

User is offline   uLTra 

First of all: thanks Mark for your nice review.

I would like to have new original enemies no one has ever used. I thought to buy/use little "toys" and photograph them in front of a greenscreen and then later adjust the colors in photoshop. But honestly.... I don't have time for this. I was very relieved when I finished White Noise. So I looked on sprite-resources for suitable enemy sprites of every build and build related games. I have not played all the trillions mods for Duke3D but the ones I know did not use any of them. So I chose the Doom enemies + size/color adjustment in photoshop and integrated with editart.
I used 153(!) new sounds. Finding the right ones for the right situation took most of the time. At the end I didn't care about the old sound from Duke 3D. I got this idea about a little communicator with some talking to you. I would have recorded the lines by myself.
Textures, TILES014 and TILES015 are full. This was the most intricated part. Some textures were fine when I converted them with the Duke 3D palette. But 80% of them were really annoying when adjusting the colors. At the end I got the idea of a film-noir mod. Everything black and white. Easy converting^^

At the end it's just a mod for duke3d. For me it's okay, when re-using familiar textures and sound of the game which the mod is based on :-)

User is offline   uLTra 

Hey everyone,
don't know if this is asked elsewhere in the forum.
But... is it okay, to include a specific version of eduke32.exe in the downloadable zip file?

Some versions work, some make the maps unplayable.
Then a suddenly version is working, and then the next one causes trouble again.
I just want to make sure, that the people can play my mod with no problems.

I wanted to ask this before I would get in any trouble?

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostuLTra, on 16 October 2019 - 03:29 PM, said:

Hey everyone,
But... is it okay, to include a specific version of eduke32.exe in the downloadable zip file?

It's totally Ok, even recommended.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Most definitely.

Do make sure that you note this in the read me file. When someone turns up in a few years time complaining that your mod won't work with the latest bleeding-edge alpha/experimental version of EDuke, we just point them back at the read me file.

Saves a lot of time.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostuLTra, on 16 October 2019 - 03:29 PM, said:

Hey everyone,

Posted Image

User is offline   uLTra 

View PostMike Norvak, on 16 October 2019 - 03:48 PM, said:

It's totally Ok, even recommended.

That was clear. Thank you! :-)

User is offline   Apiai 

I've just started the map and atmosphere is really nice, some places reminds me of Half-Life.
I had to use a 32bits version of eduke because yes, there are still some old players with a 32bits system :D

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options