Duke4.net Forums: Are there any good bots for DN3D (and the fan-made MP maps)? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Are there any good bots for DN3D (and the fan-made MP maps)?

User is offline   Kerr Avon 

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but I was wondering if anyone had made a good bot for Duke Nukem 3D? I know bots aren't for everyone, but personally I love playing against good bots in games that support them, as you can play against them when you like, you can (usually) set their skill levels so you don't end up playing against anyone who is a million times too good for you (as happen when you first play online on a game that's been out for a while), they play the game types you choose, and they don't rage-quit or spew vitriol if they're losing.

So, are there (or were there) any ongoing projects to create good bots for the game? I know there are bots that come with DN3D, but IIRC correctly they were extremely basic, and so not much fun to play against.

BTW, Duke Nukem 64 on the N64 has bots, but they are probably the stupidest bots ever seen in a commercial game! If I remember correctly, they start with a pistol (of course), and don't even look for other weapons, they only pickup and use a different weapon if they run over the weapon accidentally when traversing the area. It was no doubt better than having no bots, as it at least let you learn the layout of the maps before you played against real people, plus I suppose for beginners to the first person shooter genre, the bots would have been good (or bad!) enough for real beginners to practise against.

User is offline   Kyanos 

I've got something in progress here for bots.

Just not sure what to do with it lol. I'll be contacting H266 and Striker to see if it has a place in the OldMP build. Or maybe it'll become it's own thing.

User is offline   Mark 

Really old info. https://forums.3drea...ead.php?t=24060

User is offline   Sanek 

I think that the Santa-bot from Nuclear Winter was quite good. He use all kinds of weapons from rockets to shotgun, and it was quite challenging in the arrow keys days.

User is offline   Kerr Avon 

View PostPhotonic, on 27 January 2019 - 10:21 AM, said:

I've got something in progress here for bots.

Just not sure what to do with it lol. I'll be contacting H266 and Striker to see if it has a place in the OldMP build. Or maybe it'll become it's own thing.

Sounds intriguing! Can you not give any information about it yet?

View PostMark, on 27 January 2019 - 10:30 AM, said:

Thanks for that, I'll have a read of it.

View PostSanek, on 27 January 2019 - 10:35 AM, said:

I think that the Santa-bot from Nuclear Winter was quite good. He use all kinds of weapons from rockets to shotgun, and it was quite challenging in the arrow keys days.

Oh right, I'll give that a go, thanks.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options