Duke4.net Forums: Any way to force hardcoded cutscene to play? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Any way to force hardcoded cutscene to play?

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

For reasons I won't go into, our project requires that we start individual episodes using the startlevel CON commend, from what we have defined as the first map in VOLUME 0. This works fine once the selected episode commences. However, when episode 4 (The Birth) is started, it skips the opening hardcoded cutscene with general Graves. Note that all of the episode's levels have the same VOLUME number as in the vanilla game. Is there any way to force that cutscene to play? I have tried changing the volume number in userdef before using startlevel, but that doesn't work.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Well, I only know there is a way to PREVENT cutscenes from showing, which is via LOGO_FLAGS con code. Normally the ep.4 cutscene should always play unless you suppress it or you use "empty" movie files.

• Duke Plus Developer

Yeah, I think the problem is that the trigger for that cutscene is right after you select difficulty and right before a map loads. Once a map has been loaded (in this case, a special map that bring up an episode selection submenu) it's too late.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

so what if selecting an episode in the 'special map' triggered a boss kill/end of episode event before it launched the new episode?

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 27 January 2019 - 12:59 PM, said:

so what if selecting an episode in the 'special map' triggered a boss kill/end of episode event before it launched the new episode?

Well, I don't want it to actually end the game, because that will kick the player out to the main menu, at which point my code is no longer in control and the whole process resets from scratch. But triggering an end of game and then interrupting it before it actually ends the game would not accomplish anything.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Was trying to come up with a way to kill the 'special map' so the episode would be fooled into thinking it was having a clean launch.

Is there any way to define the cutscene as map 3 0?

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Question: Is it specifically that exact cutscene or a replacement? Because if it's the latter, in the worst case scenario, could you load up an individual map, make the cutscene an animated texture, force automated camera control and removal of hud elements to stare at the texture, while the sounds for it play in scripted order, and then end the level? Is that even possible or am I talking out of my league again

User is offline   Renegado 

I had a similar issue in my project since I had to condense all vanilla episodes in a single one. The best solution I came up with was to define it as a custom animation following the sound and framerate listings from the wiki.

Use EVENT_PRELEVEL to play the animation before level load (change the quote number for whichever you want to use):

ife VOLUME 3
ife LEVEL 0
{
	stopallsounds
	stopallmusic
	starttrackslot 0 1 // Play BRIEFING.MID
	redefinequote 200 VOL41A.ANM
	startcutscene 200
	redefinequote 200 VOL42A.ANM
	startcutscene 200
	redefinequote 200 VOL43A.ANM
	startcutscene 200
}

And this goes in your duke3d.def:
cutscene VOL41A.ANM { delay 12 }
cutscene VOL42A.ANM { delay 18 }
cutscene VOL43A.ANM { delay 12 }

animsounds VOL41A.ANM { 1 363 7 365 12 364 26 366 }
animsounds VOL42A.ANM { 1 392 12 21 18 367 34 21 }
animsounds VOL43A.ANM { 10 368 }

This post has been edited by Renegado: 29 January 2019 - 11:39 AM

Sorry. Didn't mean to downvote. There's no way to change your vote after clicking on it. And the buttons are so close together.

• Duke Plus Developer

Wow, that's super helpful! I'm not sure whether we will use that or use a custom cutscene, but it's great to have the option.

EDIT: And by the way, we are doing it for the exact same reason. 4 episodes is way too much real estate to be taking up in the menu, so they all need to be condensed down to one.

EDIT2: How would one navigate to this page from the main wiki page? No wonder I didn't find it.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 29 January 2019 - 12:08 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 29 January 2019 - 11:54 AM, said:

EDIT2: How would one navigate to this page from the main wiki page? No wonder I didn't find it.

https://wiki.eduke32...fulltext=Search

I use the search bar on the wiki, and throw every term I can think of at it. I've had the same issues as you trying to "navigate" the wiki, it only gets you so deep then links start cycling back on each other...

User is offline   Renegado 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 29 January 2019 - 11:54 AM, said:

View PostPhotonic, on 29 January 2019 - 12:25 PM, said:

https://wiki.eduke32...fulltext=Search

I use the search bar on the wiki, and throw every term I can think of at it. I've had the same issues as you trying to "navigate" the wiki, it only gets you so deep then links start cycling back on each other...

Exactly like that. This was the page which popped up when I searched for "anm" back then.
Also looks like I messed up the framerate delay values a little. The correct values are in that wiki page I linked but here they are anyway:

cutscene VOL41A.ANM { delay 14 }
cutscene VOL42A.ANM { delay 18 }
cutscene VOL43A.ANM { delay 10 }

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options