Duke4.net Forums: Ghostbusters except possibly better? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ghostbusters except possibly better?  "Coming in 2020"

Look at me, I already know a movie is gonna suck, but I'm still gonna spend my money on it and then bitch about it on the Internet because that's what cool kids do! Voting with your wallet? Spending your money and time on things you know you're gonna enjoy? Meh, that's overrated.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 22 January 2019 - 08:25 AM

User is online   Mark 

View PostForge, on 21 January 2019 - 05:11 PM, said:

Sounds to me like the point you're trying to make is that nobody should dislike a film that completely derails already set characters, history, and story line
(on top of other shitty aspects or forced agenda)

Some people enjoy continuity in their sagas.

Then you are not interpreting me correctly. I'm not forcing my viewpoint on anyone or condemning theirs. Simply showing a difference between us.

Being a fanboy is a double edged sword. Sure, you can have the enjoyment of anticipation, hype, high expectations and obsessing over details. But with that approach you open yourself to a world of butthurt when the movie doesn't live up to those lofty ideals. You get hurt and lash out the movie was garbage or should never have been made. If thats your thang, fine with me. You have some valid points in what was wrong with the movie. Feel free to point them out.

I was posting to say that I don't subscribe to that fanboy approach and thats why I can enjoy a movie that others hate.

This post has been edited by Mark: 22 January 2019 - 07:27 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMark, on 22 January 2019 - 07:26 AM, said:

I was posting to say that I don't subscribe to that fanboy approach and thats why I can enjoy a movie that others hate.

You can like or dislike a movie for your own reasons. Not the dispute.

You are coming across in a condescending manner towards people that expect their movie series to maintain some semblance of stability.

Telling them you feel sorry for them and they set their expectations too high, when they really aren't that demanding. Labeling people as nitpicky fanboys that work themselves up into a frenzy when all they want is some consistency within a continuing story.
Not helping yourself out any.

User is online   Mark 

Yeah, even though its accurate, calling someone a fanboy does sound condescending. My bad.
https://www.google.c...chrome&ie=UTF-8

This post has been edited by Mark: 22 January 2019 - 07:59 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

"The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican."

View PostAltered Reality, on 22 January 2019 - 06:52 AM, said:

Look at me, I already know a movie is gonna suck, but I'm still gonna spend my money on it and then bitch about it on the Internet because that's what cool kids do! Voting with your wallet? Spending your money and time on things you know you're gonna enjoy? Meh, that's overrated.

I was looking forward to The Last Jedi, actually. I didn't "know it was gonna suck." I even tried to defend it, if you'll remember, after I saw it.

View PostMark, on 22 January 2019 - 07:59 AM, said:

Yeah, even though its accurate, calling someone a fanboy does sound condescending. My bad.

https://www.sweetwat...e-cancellation/

• The Sarien Encounter

Sorry, I'm not usually that snarky. I had a bad day.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMerlijn, on 21 January 2019 - 09:07 AM, said:

The weird thing.. most of those reboots/sequels aren't even that succesful.
The 2016 Ghostbusters tanked, Robocop, Terminator Genesys and Total recall didn't do so well either. The new Predator film also fopped (and rightfully so). Even Star Wars managed to produce a flop.

The positive thing about that.. maybe studio's will learn that nostalgia alone isn't enough and there needs to be a good story first. Maybe.

EDIT: to counterbalance my negativity I'll say there are a few notable exceptions. The recent Into the spider verse was pretty damn good, for example.
And that was also made by Sony. Who knew?

Just saw Spider-verse and yeah it's quite good. You make a good point about all of these reboots flopping -- it goes to show that it usually has nothing to do with politics.

It sucks that the new Ghostbusters will have to compared to the 2016 film, but it will be, and some people will hate it or defend just because of what it represents and not on the merits. I don't know if waiting longer was an option, but it seems to me that it's too soon.

User is offline   Kathy 

View Postfuegerstef, on 21 January 2019 - 03:01 PM, said:

Last Jedi had bad cinematography,

Could you elaborate? I've watched it only once, but don't remember that aspect being bad.

• The Sarien Encounter

No idea where this quote came from, but my friend copy/pasted it to me.

“I think the Ghostbusters fans have been wanting this dynamic to happen, so I know whatever happens is going to be in that tradition… I’m excited about that. I’d be more excited if they called me and offered me a job, but no matter what happens the fact that they’re doing it is really cool.” - Ernie Hudson

User is offline   Merlijn 

View PostKathy, on 23 January 2019 - 10:02 AM, said:

Could you elaborate? I've watched it only once, but don't remember that aspect being bad.

I agree. As much as I dislike the writing in TLJ, at least it looked really good. That's the one thing they didn't screw up lol.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View Postgemeaux333, on 19 January 2019 - 06:44 PM, said:

I could tell you more about lefties, just as Nicolas Sarkozy said in 2012 (the true french president, although he is no longer in charge) and it was premonitory :

This is my "favorite".

View PostMark, on 21 January 2019 - 10:25 AM, said:

If people continue to put on their nostalgia glasses before seeing a sequel or reboot they will not be satisfied. Just enjoy the movie.

To avoid being compared to something (at least related to the series it's based on) it's necessary to make your own thing. Though people will bad quality product shit regardless of it being based on something, that unless you put some efforts into it, the difference is that it will be forgotten faster.

View PostJimmy 100MPH, on 21 January 2019 - 12:21 PM, said:

All that matters is if a film makes money in China.

Which is incredibly low I don't even know if I should laugh or feel sad considering that feeding chinks with trash means nothing tasty for me if I want to watch new western stuff. There is no reason for me to go to cinema on a western film anymore, even if I just want to get laid, unless perhaps I go with the most fanatical gyaru or other who love everything western.

View PostMark, on 22 January 2019 - 07:59 AM, said:

https://www.google.c...chrome&ie=UTF-8

A fanboy would be someone who watches absolutely every shit produced by hollywood or west in general, at least in my case since I'm not American I guess. And in case of Star Wars only the most radical SW Disney fanboys love Disney SW, especially their latest movies.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 29 January 2019 - 07:35 AM

User is offline   gemeaux333 

View PostSledgehammer, on 29 January 2019 - 07:34 AM, said:

This is my "favorite".

But Nicolas Sarkozy was talking figuratively when he used the word "Métissage", it was more on a cultural point of view, not necessarily at a racial point of view !

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 29 January 2019 - 08:32 AM

It honestly doesn't make it any better, even if so.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Aren't you a bit closed minded ?
The only types of "Métissages" which would be morally and ethically acceptable are those respectfull of the laws of the republic (France is laic, state and church are separated, can hardly be said about US) !

Besides, he his not breeding anything or anyone... this video is clearly a misinterpretation/misconception of his words !

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 29 January 2019 - 12:16 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostJimmy 100MPH, on 19 January 2019 - 12:19 PM, said:

I'm actually fairly tolerant of libshits. I used to be one. Even though Dave Rubin is a bit of a snake, I liked his phrase "The Left left me behind." I watched the Daily Show/Colbert Report for years. Then one day I woke up. Couldn't stand Colbert, but kept watching Stewart because I believe while Stewart has an agenda, he is genuine and does generally want what's best for America even if he is misguided. Oddly enough, I do trace Trump's election to him in some ways, because no one hammered Anthony Weiner harder than he did. I think that's part of the reason he was let go. He did have integrity, if something or someone was wrong in his view, he wouldn't let them get off, no matter how much it upset corporate overlords.

And in that vein, I do like quite a lot of what Netflix carries, and even some of their original content is quite good. It was at one time an amazing platform for comedians. And F is for Family is one of the best shows since King of the Hill. But they're shills and anti-American. If they would allow truly diverse content, like picking up Million Dollar Extreme Presents: World Peace or give Owen Benjamin a comedy special, I'd resubscribe. But they won't, so they can suck my cock. Leftists have to hijack culture and block dissenting viewpoints, because they're never able to win in a fair competition of ideas.

I actually watch a very diverse range of content, political and non-political, because I am a fringe person. I like to get into everything. That's literally why I ended up on the Trump train, he is just as fringe as I am, but he found a way to package it to the masses and that appealed to me because I feel the average person should become more fringe or at least acquainted with it. I listen to people like Jim Sterling even though he drives me fucking nuts with his stupid leftist bullshit but he is undeniably correct in his assessments of the games industry. I listened to Joe Rogan for years, and even listened still during and after the election. Even when I knew Joe had become a corporate shill, I still listened. When did I stop? When he sold out people he called friends like Eddie Bravo, Alex Jones, Owen Benjamin. I don't have to like your ideas to find you interesting or worth listening to. But your ideas must be genuine. You must actually be a good person. Joe has proven that he's more worried about money and brownie points than sticking by his friends and that makes me absolutely sick. What is a little bit of money in exchange for your soul? He never has to work another day in his life already, that willingness to just sell out for trivial reasons is truly despicable. Just be real.

Very interesting post. Do you mind expanding on why you think Dave Rubin is a bit of a snake?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

This is just my gut feeling, but Dave is just someone who sees an "opening" and has crafted a niche out for himself. He feels very much like a political opportunist to me. Many people have exposed themselves to be that lately in that "intellectual darkweb", Rogan, Jordan Peterson, etc

• The Sarien Encounter

That whole IDW seems to be falling apart. Not that the "members" are all moving on (well, some of them are, not least of which is Owen Benjamin), but the audience is. It's that Dark Knight thing happening. Die a hero or live long enough to become a villain.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

The only IDW folks I'm not a fan of are the 'Weinstein bros'-type characters who have been leftists their whole lives, and only turned to this crowd because they got chased out by radical SJWs in their own institutions that they helped create. Neither Eric or Bret Weinstein learned anything.

I know some people get pissed that Joe Rogan can change his mind 3 times in the same week depending on who he's interviewing, but I never considered him to be a solid political thinker anyway. He'll always just be a great entertainer to me.

This post has been edited by Radar: 15 February 2019 - 07:55 AM

User is offline   Forge 

Rogan used kids gloves on Dorsey. Proved he's a shill. Only confronts targets that pose no threat to him and that he thinks he can blind-side and catch unprepared.
Eventually he'll burn too many bridges and end up like Beck.

User is offline   Forge 

now I don't care if it's good or bad, I'm going to go see it regardless

• The Sarien Encounter

That really exploded on Twitter today. But I saw more people criticizing that article than agreeing with it. They really got slammed for it. And rightly so. Including by female FANS of the original movies who disliked the 2016 disaster. Even Paul Feig defended Jason Reitman. The blue checkmark brigade is just proving more and more why people should ignore everything they say.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 21 February 2019 - 10:44 AM

View PostForge, on 21 February 2019 - 10:11 AM, said:

SJW's LOST THEIR MINDS

Took them long enough to realize that.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options