Duke4.net Forums: Starting without a pistol - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Starting without a pistol

User is offline   nl3paul3nl 

Quick Mapster related question. I was wondering how to make Duke (and other Dukes in a Dukematch) start without a pistol. I've had a look at E1L3, where you always start without guns, but I haven't gotten any closer to the solution. Does this have to do with a specific sector effector or a certain lo-tag that I'm missing?

User is offline   Sanek 

It's got be tile #859.

I actually tried to make players to start without weapons by using this tile when I made my small DM map. It doesn't work in World Tour, and I guess it won't work in Megathon either.

User is offline   Mark 

http://infosuite.duk..._general_nomap3

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Also note that player does not have to be in direct contact with the texture. You can for example create a microscopic crack in the floor with one of the damaging textures at its bottom. If the player starts exactly on top of this, it should still work and you shouldn't take any damage (just like it says in the text Mark posted).

This post has been edited by NightFright: 16 January 2019 - 04:47 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostSanek, on 15 January 2019 - 02:35 PM, said:

It's got be tile #859.

I actually tried to make players to start without weapons by using this tile when I made my small DM map. It doesn't work in World Tour, and I guess it won't work in Megathon either.

It does works and it works the same in all versions of Duke. The effect only works the first time the player spawns, so any respawn in DM or CO-OP will start with the pistol. Also IIRC in multiplayer it only works for the 1st player as well and other players aren't affected, that or I'm getting confused by the fact that only player1 ever starts on a damaging tile, I'm not sure.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 16 January 2019 - 04:59 AM

User is online   ck3D 

View PostNightFright, on 16 January 2019 - 04:46 AM, said:

Also note that player does not have to be in direct contact with the texture. You can for example create a microscopic crack in the floor with one of the damaging textures at its bottom. If the player starts exactly on top of this, it should still work and you shouldn't take any damage (just like it says in the text Mark posted).

This and if you really want to make sure the player never gets hurt at the start, you can also lower the floor of the tiny sector with Hurtrail floor by a couple of notches so that Duke can never actually step on it. If the hole is small enough it shouldn't be seen, if you want to make it look even more invisible just texture the inner walls with the texture of the surrounding floor (same shade value), or I guess using a sprite could work.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options