Duke4.net Forums: WHITE NOISE (horror themed map) - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WHITE NOISE (horror themed map)

User is offline   uLTra 

Hi there,
I would like to share my new singleplayer map WHITE NOISE.

http://www.mediafire...ENOISE.zip/file

If you like horror games, then you might like it. It has a dark atmosphere and a lot of "horror stuff".

Before you download: the map uses polymer light only. If you turn it off, you don't see anything. So be aware.
Further informations are in the read me file.

Here are some impressions (I tried to avoid spoilers):

Attached Image: wnoise1.jpg
Attached Image: wnoise2.jpg
Attached Image: wnoise3.jpg
Attached Image: wnoise4.jpg
Attached Image: wnoise6.jpg
Attached Image: wnoise7.jpg
(the pictures look a little bit dark. I already brightened the lights inside the map up.)

Hope you like it.

(If you find anything that I could do better let me know)

User is online   Mark 

I downloaded it and will play later tonight or tomorrow. Looks good so far.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Might I request someone upload a playthrough of this? This looks really neat but I can't run polymer, myself...

Just so I can see it in action.

User is offline   uLTra 

View PostMark, on 08 January 2019 - 04:55 PM, said:

I downloaded it and will play later tonight or tomorrow. Looks good so far.

have fun playing!

But there is still a frame rate issue that don't stop bugging me. I thought it was some kind of okay, but it's not. I will fix this today and will put another link online.

User is offline   uLTra 

View PostNinety-Six, on 08 January 2019 - 10:03 PM, said:

Might I request someone upload a playthrough of this? This looks really neat but I can't run polymer, myself...

Just so I can see it in action.

I will do it in the next days :-)

User is offline   Polunka 

View PostuLTra, on 09 January 2019 - 03:24 AM, said:

But there is still a frame rate issue that don't stop bugging me. I thought it was some kind of okay, but it's not. I will fix this today and will put another link online.

I personally didn't happen to experience any FPS drops during my playthrough (I've got a GTX 1050 Ti if that can be of any help regarding the problem you remarked in your post).

The map is cool, by the way. Horror-themed levels are quite rare gems for Duke3D mapping scene, and I guess you did it just right. The atmosphere was top notch IMO (reminded me of the old RE games in a way for a reason). I liked the use of the new assets as well. The only thing that bothered me a bit was the lack of any kind of explanation at the end, and the lack of an actual coherent story. Like, was it all just a dream or what?
Anyway, keep it up, man, I do hope you'll make any more levels.

P.S.: Is the real-time Duke shadow effect your courtesy? I don't remember it being part of Polymer engine and seemed to encounter it only on occasions.

This post has been edited by Polunka: 09 January 2019 - 03:52 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I haven’t played the map yet, but polymer spotlights will cause true shadows, including that of the player (Duke).

View PostMicky C, on 09 January 2019 - 03:51 AM, said:

I haven’t played the map yet, but polymer spotlights will cause true shadows, including that of the player (Duke).

Oh, okay, I actually hadn't seen those before, which is quite weird.

This post has been edited by Polunka: 09 January 2019 - 03:55 AM

User is offline   darkcaleb 

Hey there Ultra, does this map have any connection to the map before. You released a map before that was called White Noise?
Played the map and it did scare more once hehehe :( Liked the map the way you build the atmosphere. :) Though it looked not very dukish to maybe because the way you used the textures. Can't wait to see what you got next in store :wub:

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Mappers tend not to use those lights because they’re quite resource intensive and can seriously drop the frame rate if you use more than one or two at a time.

View Postdarkcaleb, on 09 January 2019 - 03:55 AM, said:

Hey there Ultra, does this map have any connection to the map before. You released a map before that was called White Noise?

This exactly, by the way. I wanted to ask this initially but hesitated for some reason. Also because I can't play the previous map since I don't own World Tour (and probably won't ever).

This post has been edited by Polunka: 09 January 2019 - 03:59 AM

User is offline   uLTra 

View PostPolunka, on 09 January 2019 - 03:47 AM, said:

I personally didn't happen to experience any FPS drops during my playthrough (I've got a GTX 1050 Ti if that can be of any help regarding the problem you remarked in your post).

The map is cool, by the way. Horror-themed levels are quite rare gems for Duke3D mapping scene, and I guess you did it just right. The atmosphere was top notch IMO (reminded me of the old RE games in a way for a reason). I liked the use of the new assets as well. The only thing that bothered me a bit was the lack of any kind of explanation at the end, and the lack of an actual coherent story. Like, was it all just a dream or what?
Anyway, keep it up, man, I do hope you'll make any more levels.

P.S.: Is the real-time Duke shadow effect your courtesy? I don't remember it being part of Polymer engine and seemed to encounter it only on occasions.

Hey Polunka, nice that you liked it. I thought this horror stuff would be a welcome change.
the story.... actually I want it to tell more in the further levels. now it's only a cliffhanger. sorry for that :-)

The shadow effects was caused by the Spot Lights (SE50). But I already deleted them because of the performance.

FRAME RATE.
I got a GTX 750ti. Actually it should run quite good with that? When I reach this spot the frame rate drops down to ~30
Attached Image: duke0006.png

Here I got a a rate of 21(!)
Attached Image: duke0005.png

That's really frustrating.
When I start from those points (via mapster) the frame rate is very good again. Like at the beginning.
Funny thing: when I get squished in the water tank the frame rate gets also high again.
I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. Texture quality is barf, and cache is activated (heeeeeelp, anybody?)

User is offline   uLTra 

View Postdarkcaleb, on 09 January 2019 - 03:55 AM, said:

Played the map and it did scare more once hehehe :( Liked the map the way you build the atmosphere. :) Though it looked not very dukish to maybe because the way you used the textures. Can't wait to see what you got next in store :wub:

Hey Caleb, nice that you liked it, too :-)
There is no connection between them. The first one was actually some kind of a "test" level.
I got used to that episode name and it suits very well with that horror episode much better.

View PostuLTra, on 09 January 2019 - 12:10 PM, said:

the story.... actually I want it to tell more in the further levels. now it's only a cliffhanger. sorry for that :-)

Oh, okay. In this case I'm eagerly waiting for the upcoming maps! :) You could also very well combine 'em into an episode upon releasing the last one.

This post has been edited by Polunka: 09 January 2019 - 08:15 PM

User is offline   uLTra 

Here is my walkthrough for those who are interested in the map but aren't able to play with polymer.

By the way, I made some changes in the map (especially at the end). So here is the updated version:

View PostuLTra, on 10 January 2019 - 01:44 PM, said:

Here is my walkthrough for those who are interested in the map but aren't able to play with polymer.

Thank you.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostuLTra, on 10 January 2019 - 01:44 PM, said:

I haven't had a chance to play Duke maps in a while so instead I watched your walk through. This map is a masterpiece! You've done an excellent job on this map. It was creepy just watching it. It was nice you didn't include a music track because it would have taken away from the atmosphere. Looks like a lot of really hard work! Thanks for the video.

The Admin on the forums should delete your first link as it appears to link to malware and infections by navigating to it. Thank goodness for a decent AV solution! =)

Here is the download page for your map! http://www.dukemaps.net/?p=12934

This post has been edited by Paul B: 10 January 2019 - 06:02 PM

User is offline   NNC 

This looks really good.

User is offline   Loke 

Excellent map. Great usage of lighting and sound effects to really keep the player on edge. I also liked the usage of almost complete silence opposed to some "spooky" looped soundtrack. I did have some issues with the underwater area as I kept getting squished due to not being fast enough to move between the safe areas. Also didn't help that I had low health so I couldn't stay underwater for too long -- had like 12 HP when I resurfaced. Also a bit shame that there aren't any custom monsters only the stock DN3D ones which aren't really scary.

If you're curious about my performance it ran between 80-120 on average. I have a GTX 1060.

User is offline   uLTra 

View PostNinety-Six, on 10 January 2019 - 04:53 PM, said:

Thank you.

You're welcome.

View PostPaul B, on 10 January 2019 - 05:05 PM, said:

I haven't had a chance to play Duke maps in a while so instead I watched your walk through. This map is a masterpiece! You've done an excellent job on this map. It was creepy just watching it. It was nice you didn't include a music track because it would have taken away from the atmosphere. Looks like a lot of really hard work! Thanks for the video.

The Admin on the forums should delete your first link as it appears to link to malware and infections by navigating to it. Thank goodness for a decent AV solution! =)

Here is the download page for your map! http://www.dukemaps.net/?p=12934

Well, thank you very much for your opinion! Means a lot to me. This really took some time to make it. New graphic and finding new sounds wasn't easy some times, too^^
And thanks for featuring my map on your site with a great score! :-)

View PostNancsi, on 11 January 2019 - 03:58 AM, said:

This looks really good.

Thanks!

View PostLoke, on 12 January 2019 - 04:39 AM, said:

Excellent map. Great usage of lighting and sound effects to really keep the player on edge. I also liked the usage of almost complete silence opposed to some "spooky" looped soundtrack. I did have some issues with the underwater area as I kept getting squished due to not being fast enough to move between the safe areas. Also didn't help that I had low health so I couldn't stay underwater for too long -- had like 12 HP when I resurfaced. Also a bit shame that there aren't any custom monsters only the stock DN3D ones which aren't really scary.

If you're curious about my performance it ran between 80-120 on average. I have a GTX 1060.

Thank you, too! Sometimes I would like to have own footstep (and jump) sounds. But I don't know how to do it. Even with the tutorial on eduke32 wiki I can't handle it.
Yeah thought that would be a little fast. But you can save before that and try again. But I think I will made it a little slower.
I will put custom monsters in if I continue this. Pic Cops and the Liztroopers wouldn't really fit in this scenario. The Aliens will get a black, like the Xenomorph Alien.
Okay, your FPS sounds really good.

User is offline   MC84 

I have to be honest I just watched your playthrough of the map but I thoroughly enjoyed it! Awesome job. I look forward to the next episode in the series and how it all develops.

So I'm curious. Was the room with the crates that you had to jump across a reference to the infamous "box-smashing room" of the original Half-Life?

User is offline   Merlijn 

Thanks for posting that playthrough! Looks excellent with great use of atmospheric lights and sound. Even just watching it I felt the creepy atmosphere and the tension of "what will happen next".
Scary DN3D maps are rare, partly because the DN3D monsters themselves aren't that scary, so thanks for creating this. :)

User is offline   uLTra 

View Postconoklast, on 12 January 2019 - 07:05 PM, said:

I have to be honest I just watched your playthrough of the map but I thoroughly enjoyed it! Awesome job. I look forward to the next episode in the series and how it all develops.

Thank you :-)
I'm working on part 2 right now. But I don't have a clue when it will be finished.

View PostNinety-Six, on 12 January 2019 - 09:15 PM, said:

So I'm curious. Was the room with the crates that you had to jump across a reference to the infamous "box-smashing room" of the original Half-Life?

Yeah, it's a reference from Half Life. Well recognized.

View PostMerlijn, on 13 January 2019 - 06:06 AM, said:

Thanks for posting that playthrough! Looks excellent with great use of atmospheric lights and sound. Even just watching it I felt the creepy atmosphere and the tension of "what will happen next".
Scary DN3D maps are rare, partly because the DN3D monsters themselves aren't that scary, so thanks for creating this. :)

Hey, really glad you enjoyed it :-) Maybe you have a try for youself when I release part 2. Looking forward to your third part.

Aaaand. more questions :-)

1. Is it possible to lock/toggle a touchplate and unlock it when I reach a special sector? I tried lots of things with ACTIVATORLOCKED. I want to spawn enemies when you go back the same path you first came along.

2. I would really like to insert a sprint key with stamina. I tried the tutorial on the eduk32 wiki. But I couldn't manage it. I miss something but I dont know what.
What does this mean: "Here are the neccesary gamevars - if you already have a selection of temporary vars available than simply replace my definitions in the following code with your own (They're here just to make copying + pasting easier) "
Do I have to create extra files/gamevars outside the game.con?

3. Same with jump height. The tutorial says: "You'll need a gamevar to hold the value of jumping_counter. "
What does this exactly mean? Need another extra file? Another line in the game.con?

Part 2 :lol:
Attached Image: duke0004.png

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostuLTra, on 05 February 2019 - 07:28 AM, said:

1. Is it possible to lock/toggle a touchplate and unlock it when I reach a special sector? I tried lots of things with ACTIVATORLOCKED. I want to spawn enemies when you go back the same path you first came along.

not without coding
but there are "tricks" to make things like that happen
most involve stretching camouflaged sectors (two-walled sliding door sectors might work too) across the ceiling/floor of the return path so the player then trips the touchplate in those sectors.
this doesn't accommodate for every scenario though

User is offline   uLTra 

View PostForge, on 05 February 2019 - 07:58 AM, said:

not without coding
but there are "tricks" to make things like that happen
most involve stretching camouflaged sectors (two-walled sliding door sectors might work too) across the ceiling/floor of the return path so the player then trips the touchplate in those sectors.
this doesn't accommodate for every scenario though

Oh well, that's a good point with the slide door sector. The possibilites are limited, but it works fine for me.
I would upvote your response, but I can't for some reasons.

User is offline   Paul B 

You should be able to do this with the use of a bridge sector.

1) A bridge sector should be built so that it can span as much of the entire width of the hallway as possible. Keep a touch plate in the bridge sector at the far end of where the bridge sector compresses.

2) Have the bridge sector compress to the point where there is only room for a touch plate sprite. The compressed bridge sector should be very close against a wall so duke can't step into the sector and activate the touch plate inside the bridge sector when the bridge is compressed. Set the angle on the touch plate in the bridge sector facing down, so Duke can't skip the sector by accident when the bridge is not compressed.

3) Use a one time touch plate early on in the level to activate the bridge sector so it's in the proper position (bridge compressed).

4) Place a second one time touch plate in the level where you want to expand the bridge sector to activate the touch plate so that Duke can trigger the touch plate in the bridge sector the next time he passes. No code required.

I used this effect in my Showcase.map (Level 13) in Duke Hard. The effect is also used as laser sensors in the art gallery & at the top of the stairs in the art gallery in the adjacent room ). In the map Atomic Arena. (The effect is used just shortly past the fork lift in the hall way to change the game play and control if monster should spawn or not) which is intended to slow the player down if he's moving through the level too fast.

Hope that makes sense, see my reference maps for details.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 05 February 2019 - 09:59 AM

User is offline   uLTra 

View PostPaul B, on 05 February 2019 - 08:25 AM, said:

You should be able to do this with the use of a bridge sector.

This works fine as well. Like you said :-)
Is there a way to stop the floor moving when activating the bridge?

Okay, well. Two more to go :-)

2. I would really like to insert a sprint key with stamina. I tried the tutorial on the eduk32 wiki. But I couldn't manage it. I miss something but I dont know what.
What does this mean: "Here are the neccesary gamevars - if you already have a selection of temporary vars available than simply replace my definitions in the following code with your own (They're here just to make copying + pasting easier) "
Do I have to create extra files/gamevars outside the game.con?

3. Same with jump height. The tutorial says: "You'll need a gamevar to hold the value of jumping_counter. "
What does this exactly mean? Need another extra file? Another line in the game.con?

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostuLTra, on 05 February 2019 - 09:24 AM, said:

This works fine as well. Like you said :-)
Is there a way to stop the floor moving when activating the bridge?

Okay, well. Two more to go :-)

You can try toggling the floor relative bit in the bridge sector. I can't remember if that works, or you can lower the bridge sector and cover it with a sprite floor but I think the floor sprites need to be outside of the moving bridge sector and stretched over the small gap of the bridge sector. I think that is what I did in Showcase can't remember. Or make the bridge sector really super thin so you can't notice the movement and lower the bridge Z-Axis and camouflage the red line walls of the bridge sector with the floor texture. But really, when the bridge sector is triggered, the player should be no where near the bridge sector. So visually it shouldn't be a problem, because the movement of the bridge will occur when Duke is no where near it.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 05 February 2019 - 10:09 AM

User is offline   uLTra 

Hello again,
I had a problem with polymer lighting in different sectors.
Attached Image: dukeforum01.jpg

And in mapster it was like this:
Attached Image: dukeforum02.jpg

Luckily I could solve it by deleting the whole sector and create a new one from scratch.

Unfortunately I usually notice it when everything is build and it's to complicated. Does anyone know the reason how this can happen so that I can avoid this bug(?) in future?

Besides, I need someone who likes to test the map. I have to know how long does it take to get to the tentative end.

And something else: I want to have all the files (sound, art, cons) in 1 grp file. I know how to create one with group file studio. But how does it work with a batch file?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options