Duke4.net Forums: DNF Release Date Poll - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF Release Date Poll

Poll: DNF Release Date Poll (57 member(s) have cast votes)

When do you think DNF will be on the shelves?

1. Never / It's Cancelled for Good (19 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. 2009 (I'm delusional) (2 votes [3.51%])

Percentage of vote: 3.51%

3. 2010 (17 votes [29.82%])

Percentage of vote: 29.82%

4. 2011 (6 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

5. Very far off, but it's coming. (13 votes [22.81%])

Percentage of vote: 22.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

I like to do release date polls once in a while. I did one over at 3DR back in 2002 but that thread is long gone. Then I did one here on this site in 2007.

Anyhow, thought I might do one again now that things have changed, just for fun, in case 3DR raises money, or some other developer gets the IP/license, which is very likely...

The DNF of 2006-2009 is gone for good, in my opinion.

The team has been disbanded, and Moore's Law is going to make the tech obsolete in short order.

By the time the court crap gets straightened out, funds are raised, and a new team is put together (whether at 3DR, or outsourced like Prey was after going "on hold") they're going to have to start over. They may use the same locations and a similar storyline, but it will invariably be a do-over.

As such, I voted "Never", as that's my opinion of when the current version of DNF will be released.

User is offline   Ramen4ever 

2011 but I was thinking more like 2015 or something. Second choice is never.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostAgentScotty, on May 28 2009, 06:43 PM, said:

The DNF of 2006-2009 is gone for good, in my opinion.

The team has been disbanded, and Moore's Law is going to make the tech obsolete in short order.

By the time the court crap gets straightened out, funds are raised, and a new team is put together (whether at 3DR, or outsourced like Prey was after going "on hold") they're going to have to start over. They may use the same locations and a similar storyline, but it will invariably be a do-over.

As such, I voted "Never", as that's my opinion of when the current version of DNF will be released.

Fair vote and explanation, but you can vote "Very far off" if you believe it'll be released eventually regardless of what version is on the shelves. :)

User is offline   Babe 

I think after this forced court case, something will happen and IF it is not completely cancelled, it will be out by 2010.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

2010. I highly doubt the game will be thrown in the shitter, or redone.

User is offline   Raziel 

Can I vote after the hearing that states if the restraining order will be in place? I mean, Take-Two wants a restraining order preventing development on the game until the court case is over in 1.5 or 2 years. If that goes ahead, DNF is dead, there is no way it will be completed then. If the restraining order does not go ahead, I think late 2010 (assuming they can hire back most of the existing team).

EDIT: Isn't it sad when the publisher wants to prevent a game from being completed?

This post has been edited by Raziel: 28 May 2009 - 08:51 PM

User is offline   leilei 

A disbanded asset production team doesn't spell doom for a game, unless it's the first year of development. With DNF being in the bugs-ironing-out process I highly doubt this would be the case. My vote goes to 2009.

This post has been edited by leilei: 28 May 2009 - 09:08 PM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostRaziel, on May 29 2009, 01:49 AM, said:

Can I vote after the hearing that states if the restraining order will be in place? I mean, Take-Two wants a restraining order preventing development on the game until the court case is over in 1.5 or 2 years. If that goes ahead, DNF is dead, there is no way it will be completed then. If the restraining order does not go ahead, I think late 2010 (assuming they can hire back most of the existing team).

EDIT: Isn't it sad when the publisher wants to prevent a game from being completed?

The Restraining order apparently was already Denied.

View Postleilei, on May 29 2009, 12:08 AM, said:

A disbanded asset production team doesn't spell doom for a game, unless it's the first year of development. With DNF being in the bugs-ironing-out process I highly doubt this would be the case. My vote goes to 2009.

1) We don't know it was actually in "just a bugs-ironing-out" process.
2) That's the hardest part of the work.
3) They have zero people to do the work. It's not a matter of just a smaller team to do it, there are no programmers, artists, or designers to even do the bugs-ironing-out if they even *were* in that stage. And there is no money to hire someone else to do it (otherwise they would be able to afford to just pay their own), and it would take someone new an immense amount of time to get caught up.

View PostStrikerMan780, on May 29 2009, 12:25 AM, said:

The Restraining order apparently was already Denied.

No, there are two requests. One was the restraining order until the first hearing. The other is a request for continued restraining until the trial... and Apogee has the chance at this first hearing to make a case for why it shouldn't apply. That one is still possible. Only the first was denied.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Unless it's under a new dev that doesn't have any bullshit to deal with, never.

User is offline   Dennis 

View PostWieder, on May 29 2009, 07:44 AM, said:

1) We don't know it was actually in "just a bugs-ironing-out" process.
2) That's the hardest part of the work.
3) They have zero people to do the work. It's not a matter of just a smaller team to do it, there are no programmers, artists, or designers to even do the bugs-ironing-out if they even *were* in that stage. And there is no money to hire someone else to do it (otherwise they would be able to afford to just pay their own), and it would take someone new an immense amount of time to get caught up.

No, there are two requests. One was the restraining order until the first hearing. The other is a request for continued restraining until the trial... and Apogee has the chance at this first hearing to make a case for why it shouldn't apply. That one is still possible. Only the first was denied.

Charlie, you have much experience in this field and even worked at 3Drealms. What do you think the most likely outcome will be for DNF ?

- Will the current build ever be released ?
- Do you think the IP will be sold ?

Youre not breaking any NDA's answering these questions, I just like to hear from someone with this much experience :)

View PostDennis, on May 29 2009, 04:29 AM, said:

Charlie, you have much experience in this field and even worked at 3Drealms. What do you think the most likely outcome will be for DNF ?

- Will the current build ever be released ?
- Do you think the IP will be sold ?

Youre not breaking any NDA's answering these questions, I just like to hear from someone with this much experience :)

I voted #1. :D

User is offline   Dennis 

View PostWieder, on May 29 2009, 07:53 PM, said:

I voted #1. :)

Hearing that from you it's bye bye DNF.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

2010, though im admittedly being a bit optimistic with that choice. My guess is this court case goes smoothly, 3DR will pass DNF off to another company to finish up within a year (giving time to learn the assets and code) and we'll see it on shelves Christmas 2010

View PostDennis, on May 29 2009, 12:12 PM, said:

Hearing that from you it's bye bye DNF.

Well the one thing to keep in mind is I really have no idea what's up for dispute in the lawsuit. IF something can be worked out where 2k will fund further development in exchange for something 3DR is willing to give up, and it's given to another studio then I could see it maaaaybe happening by mid-late 2011 if everything goes really well and the dev is really good (or the dev isn't so hot and the game comes out and is just "ok").

But I just don't think 2k is going to want to throw more money at a franchise they don't own versus spending their currently limited funds on stuff that is going to probably get them a bigger return.

Lots of factors that could affect it, but I just voted with my gut.

User is offline   hornoxe 

The big question is if mid-late 2011 isn't already too late for it not to be too dated for the mass market, so that would mean almost starting over again which would take longer than 2011.

I have the depressing feeling that the only option, that doesn't require starting over, is getting the damn thing out next year (even if it mean cutting it down into something more episodic), but with the legal issues and old team gone that isn't very likely. *sigh*

Where is the poll option for "I have no fucking idea".

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostKristian Joensen, on May 29 2009, 12:58 PM, said:

Where is the poll option for "I have no fucking idea".

I always try to disclude "I don't know / maybe" answers from my polls because I believe people who are unsure shouldn't be voting in the first place. :)

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I would love to see George pull something out of his rear, pull together some deal, and get things back on track.
With his history in the game industry, he does have the contacts to do this, if (and BIIIIG if here) it is in any way shape or form possible.

Do I think this will actually happen? No idea on this God's Earth.

If a miracle occurs, and they straighten the whole mess out and get some of the team back to work, then 2010. Otherwise, we'll be seeing it (maybe) in 5 years time as an 'extra' on the DN5 DVD.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 29 May 2009 - 12:28 PM

User is offline   crunchysuperman 

• Honored Donor

View PostTea Monster, on May 29 2009, 04:22 PM, said:

I would love to see George pull something out of his rear

Oh my! :)

View PostWieder, on May 29 2009, 09:39 PM, said:

Well the one thing to keep in mind is I really have no idea what's up for dispute in the lawsuit. IF something can be worked out where 2k will fund further development in exchange for something 3DR is willing to give up, and it's given to another studio then I could see it maaaaybe happening by mid-late 2011 if everything goes really well and the dev is really good (or the dev isn't so hot and the game comes out and is just "ok").

But I just don't think 2k is going to want to throw more money at a franchise they don't own versus spending their currently limited funds on stuff that is going to probably get them a bigger return.

Lots of factors that could affect it, but I just voted with my gut.

:) oh god no....I was a bit optimistic until i read your post :D ....
You have talked and helped many former 3d realms developers find a new job so i think you know more things than you say you do.... :D

as Dennis said...hasta la vista DNF

This post has been edited by Woodensword: 29 May 2009 - 03:33 PM

Are those years A.D or A.D 2 ?

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

A.D. 2. :)

User is offline   Jarongame 

Custom awenser which i awensered of later in the future it'll most likely come out around the year 9450644232147137183785759719347957927598264917864816489963894179856814681496 and 3

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't think it's ever going to come now. I hope to be pleasantly surprised, though.

User is offline   SpitFire 

It's best to believe it's never coming out, that way you won't be disappointed, but yet over joyed if it comes out.

As for me, I'll stay optimistic, I have a feeling it will come out, one way or another. Plus it adds to the effect that if it does come out, I can rag on those who said it never will.

And if it doesn't come out; Then I will deny that I ever believed it had a chance.

A perfect strategy.

User is offline   Redcard 

I don't think it's going to come out ever.

But.. if it does, you guys have a perfect excuse for it if it happens to suck.

User is offline   peoplessi 

• Honored Donor

"Very far off, but it's coming." ...but when, and for what platform that's another story. Most likely the current build is lost, too bad. There is too much confusion now for DNF to make it 2010 or 2011.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options