Posted Image

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 09 December 2018 - 02:42 AM

Woah, we're getting Blood 5 already?

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostPikaCommando, on 09 December 2018 - 03:18 AM, said:

Woah, we're getting Blood 5 already?

Although it's obviously not that....

That might be why nightdive teased and postponed the announcement of the remaster.
and didn't announce the date.

or you know, splatterhouse 5...
it's bloody and due for a sequel.

Spoiler

User is offline   VGA 

How can he use Doom's logo to promote another game? Is he allowed to do that? :)

Anyway, my expectations are low.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

It is being referred to as a "project" so it's possible this is a fifth episode for the original Doom.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Well Happy Birthday to me (and Doom) tomorrow

User is offline   axl 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 09 December 2018 - 08:00 AM, said:

It is being referred to as a "project" so it's possible this is a fifth episode for the original Doom.

That... actually makes sense. I would LOVE a new episode for the original Doom !

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Only weird thing about it being a fifth episode is that the email specifically mentions pre orders going up starting tomorrow.

Does that mean its a paid for single episode for Ultimate Doom? Does it contain new enemies and weapons or is it just going to be the original content?

Only one day to find out

User is offline   VGA 

Interesting, if preorders start tomorrow then we WILL get more info about it. :)

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

But it's obviously not BlackRoom, or is it?

The only thing that makes sense to me with Doom and 5 would indeed be a fifth episode for UD. Considering Romero had made two maps "recently" which he claimed to be some kind of warmups to get back into mapping, he might have decided to do more after receiving positive community feedback. Also I guess it's easier and faster to cash in with this legendary title once more than taking ages for BR to finish (if it's even still in development).

However, if this is the case and they follow the classic Doom episode design, we are talking about nine new levels. That's hardly anything worth charging for. We got a top-notch single episode by Nerve with NRFTL, but it was never available separately, so it's hard to tell what would be a reasonable price for it these days. Maybe 5 bucks or so?

Anyway, this wouldn't really be a full game, just addon content, so I guess it's something else after all.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 09 December 2018 - 02:23 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Happy birthday for tomorrow, Hulk.

Since the email subject line specifies a "new game from John Romero" and pre-orders will be up tomorrow, I'm going to take a risk and say it's not Doom. The 5 on the whiteboard post says "5 core elements in games."

Posted Image

User is offline   Outtagum 

It's obviously Duke Nukem Vengeance.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

They have some industry vets working at Romero Games, including Keith O'Connor, former technical Lead at Ubisoft Montreal, and Mihai Dobrin who worked on Dishonored and The Witcher 3. Linkedin lists the studio as 15 people, so even with outsourcing, I wouldn't expect a huge game.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

That's just fine with me.

User is online   Mark 

I would be astounded and overjoyed if I knew I could get 14 other people to join me in creating a game in Eduke32. When you consider how much has been done with small 1-3 man teams in our forums working part time in between family life and jobs, just imagine how much could get accomplished in a properly running full time team of that size. Drool...

User is offline   leilei 

5 time periods with 5 unique weapons each and 5 sidekick characters with 5 AI functions :)

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View Postleilei, on 09 December 2018 - 08:29 PM, said:

5 time periods with 5 unique weapons each and 5 sidekick characters with 5 AI functions :)

Yay, Daikatana is getting a remaster finally! I only hope they leave the original bugs in because I want to have an authentic experience, fan fixes ruined that game (it's not a bug, it's feature, you dimwits!).

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 09 December 2018 - 09:23 PM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

https://static1.squa...2/?format=1500w

Is it this?

https://twitter.com/...118656111386625

https://www.romerogames.ie/sigil/

Free doom mod that you can also purchase at $39.99 and $166.00.

https://limitedrunga...-box-pc-megawad
https://limitedrunga...-box-pc-megawad

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Wait, let me get this straight: Romero did the whole "hype thing" for a Doom level pack and now he wants to sell collector's editions of that level pack for 40 and 166 bucks? Fuck, John, have you no shame? I mean sure, a new Romero epidose will be nice but god fucking damn it, make something new already! Anything! What a fucking joke.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 10 December 2018 - 06:33 AM

• The Truth is in here

So it's basically as we expected.

Nice that you can also get the 9 new SP levels for free at least - TBH I am not really interested in a boxed copy. As nice as it is to get a bigger Romero map pack again for Doom after all. If quality is similar to his other two new maps, I guess it's worth it. Still I guess we have all expected a bit more still, considering all the hype. I'll let this lack of innovation slide for now since I consider this a fan service for the 25th anniversary of the game. Romero's next project should REALLY be something new, though. If it's not Blackroom!

And again: 5 apparently WAS the 5th Doom episode...

This post has been edited by NightFright: 10 December 2018 - 06:40 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNightFright, on 10 December 2018 - 06:36 AM, said:

Calling it a megawad with just 9 SP levels (I'm not counting the 9 additional DM levels) is some kind of an overstatement, but hey - it's Romero stuff. Release date Feb 2019 sucks a bit, but at least there IS a date...!

And don't forget that if you want a soundtrack for those 9 single player levels (let's be real here, nobody will play the DM maps) you have to pay 40 bucks. Fuck this, fuck this so much.

And hey, he says it's inspired by Thy Flesh Consumed so it will suck anyway.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 10 December 2018 - 06:41 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostZaxx, on 10 December 2018 - 06:33 AM, said:

now he wants to sell collector's editions of that level pack for 40 and 166 bucks? Fuck, John, have you no shame? I mean sure, a new Romero epidose will be nice but god fucking damn it, make something new already! Anything! What a fucking joke.

I don't think they'll be making any real money out of the boxes considering what's in them and it'll be limited prints. Also, I expect this is just a little free bonus to draw attention for the real game.

The little of the levels we see in the trailer looks cool. A bit of abuse on the flickering lights in some parts but I won't judge the whole thing based on that. In parts we can see some detailing that probably wouldn't have been there if it was released at the time.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 10 December 2018 - 06:54 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

To be fair, much of that cost probably goes into development of the giant sized box and all the stuff inside. The game comes on a USB flash disk shaped like a floppy disk similar to Ion Maiden. That stuff's not free to produce. Then there's the artwork and the music...

I can understand why it seems like a bum deal, but if you don't want to pay, don't. Just get the free mod download *shrug*. The box is more for collectors, of which there's a huge scene who loves this stuff and are already grappling for it. I can also understand expecting a brand new game and just getting a Doom map pack/mod being a huge letdown. I wasn't expecting much anyway as I'm not the biggest Doom fan and nothing else he's made has really stood out to me. I think this is a nice fun novelty. The added cost of the box and goodies is a nice way for him to make money and also give something to the fans beyond just the free content. The fact that the mod is free makes this all worth it in my book.

As for the quality of the episode itself, maybe we can play it before drawing those conclusions? Those reimaginings of those first episode Doom maps he made were pretty good though. I'm certainly interested to see what he can do with modern conventions to the engine.

View PostMetHy, on 10 December 2018 - 06:51 AM, said:

The little of the levels we see in the trailer looks cool. A bit of abuse on the flickering lights in some parts but I won't judge the whole thing based on that. In parts we can see some detailing that probably wouldn't have been there if it was released at the time.

What trailer are you referring to? I'm looking everywhere and I can't seem to find it...

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 10 December 2018 - 07:00 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostZaxx, on 10 December 2018 - 06:39 AM, said:

And don't forget that if you want a soundtrack for those 9 single player levels (let's be real here, nobody will play the DM maps) you have to pay 40 bucks. Fuck this, fuck this so much.

It doesn't say anywhere that the free version won't have a soundtrack though.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 10 December 2018 - 07:05 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMetHy, on 10 December 2018 - 07:00 AM, said:

It doesn't say anywhere that the free version won't have a soundtrack though.

It's on the website:

(Note: The free megawad does not ship with Buckethead’s music or Christopher Lovell’s art.)

Guess regular Doom music will play though... if not, I'll just put on my pirate hat.

User is offline   MetHy 

My point is, it says it doesn't ship with Buckethead's music, it doesn't say it won't have music. Also, it says the box has music, it doesn't say that music will play during the game if you buy the box.
Also to be fair, it also says there is only one new exclusive song.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 10 December 2018 - 07:23 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

It doesn't mention any other music other than Buckethead's, though. There's no reason to assume it has a new MIDI (or otherwise) soundtrack.

• The Truth is in here

I also doubt a new MIDI soundtrack will be provided. Even good old Lee didn't consider MIDI for his new World Tour tracks any more since the format is simply outdated.
My guess is that the free download will really just be the levels. If you want custom music, you'll need to invest at least 40 bucks. It's basically like buying a Buckethead album (with a few extras).

This post has been edited by NightFright: 10 December 2018 - 07:32 AM

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options