Duke4.net Forums: Music from the Oostrum bro's - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Music from the Oostrum bro's  "some shameless self promotion for our band ;)"

User is offline   ck3D 

Oh yeah, that version is great and basically exactly what I was hoping would exist already, thanks! You're a honest artist and so it doesn't surprise me at all you still remember your most ancient material, I'm glad if you're still sitting on those recordings, it's always some introspective trip to have this type of time capsules of yourself around to look back on at later stages in life. Now I wonder if I don't still have some of those old tracks of yours on a half lost hard drive of mine in a MSN Messenger sent items folder backup or something, that's an actual possibility. Either way Reveal is a great song, cool to hear it's a keeper to you too.

Hearing it again after all these years too, something feels funny, did you ever use an instrumental version of it, or make a different track based on a similar melody loop, for a Shaky Grounds map? If that's the case then I only just now connected the dots. If not then at least I remember hearing level music from you that vibed the same.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 02 May 2022 - 02:01 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

I was gifted this by a mysterious musician/mapper type person and told to not distribute it.
It's been a couple days, and maybe permissions have changed under certain conditions and special circumstances.

e.g. if ck3d doesn't have it already.

Attached Image: Untitled.jpg

User is offline   Merlijn 

View Postck3D, on 02 May 2022 - 02:00 PM, said:

Oh yeah, that version is great and basically exactly what I was hoping would exist already, thanks! You're a honest artist and so it doesn't surprise me at all you still remember your most ancient material, I'm glad if you're still sitting on those recordings, it's always some introspective trip to have this type of time capsules of yourself around to look back on at later stages in life. Now I wonder if I don't still have some of those old tracks of yours on a half lost hard drive of mine in a MSN Messenger sent items folder backup or something, that's an actual possibility. Either way Reveal is a great song, cool to hear it's a keeper to you too.

Hearing it again after all these years too, something feels funny, did you ever use an instrumental version of it, or make a different track based on a similar melody loop, for a Shaky Grounds map? If that's the case then I only just now connected the dots. If not then at least I remember hearing level music from you that vibed the same.

I still have a lot of my old music stored on my hard drive and some old CD's, it's fun to listen to it from time to time. :) About the Shaky Grounds map, I think you mean Epicenter (the 3rd map). There's a piano pattern in there that's pretty similar to Reveal. I didn't do that on purpose btw, I actually didn't make that connection until you mentioned it! It's not the same notes but there are definitely similarities haha.

@ Forge, you're free to share that to ck3d, no problem :)

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 04 May 2022 - 06:47 AM

We made a music video for ''Listen to the night":

Was a lot of fun editing this one together. The full album will be released on the 7th of October!

New single, this is one of the heavier/more riff based songs we wrote:

https://open.spotify...1b4388792cb403e

Youtube link for those who don't use spotify:

Full album next week! :D

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostMerlijn, on 01 October 2022 - 02:15 AM, said:

https://open.spotify...1b4388792cb403e

Youtube link for those who don't use spotify:

https://www.youtube....h?v=lQf0JYxbz0k

Full album next week! :D

Nice one, the riffs indeed sound heavier, but it's still catchy as hell like pretty much every song of you that I've heard. Also, love when you do that really high falsetto :D

Thanks! I think you'll like the album then ;) Plenty of riffs and catchy moments haha

User is offline   ck3D 

Really cool Merlijn - and some of the best sound production I've heard from you I think? At least this time around it struck me as particularly remarkable (not that I ever minded anything there in your recordings before). For some reason (maybe a cute comparison too), I was reminded of Suicidal Tendencies' later phase of experimenting with metal and funk sounds (so post hardcore/thrash), "The Art of Rebellion" comes to mind as an album although they pushed that style even further later and so this has to be more of a personal reference I guess. Looking forward to the album!

This post has been edited by ck3D: 03 October 2022 - 10:22 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMerlijn, on 01 October 2022 - 02:15 AM, said:

interesting mix of styles and progressions.

The opening riff and hook sound like something you could have found on early led zeppelin or aerosmith albums. Pretty chonky and bluesy. The one-off instrumental (solo) is more 'metal'. ck3d's comparison to mid-late suicidal is pretty accurate.

nice production quality. good song.

Thanks guys! As for the production, it was done by one of our friends so we can't take credit for that ;)

Anyways, we released the album last Friday on vinyl and had an awesome release party. The album is now on Spotify and Youtube:

https://open.spotify...gQaOufuliI7eZmQ

https://www.youtube....ko47T1nF3ClNzGw

Sound quality seems more crisp on Spotify so I would advice streaming it on there if you have the choise :)
My personal favorites are: Weirdofunk, I Stand My Ground, Tripceratops (which is an instrumental song, somewhat similar to our Imperium soundtrack) and I Refuse.

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 10 October 2022 - 11:20 AM

Bumping this topic again, because we released a new song + video:

The song is in Dutch and about the guy who lead our country for 12 years.. It's not too positive :P

Fun fact: Maarten recorded and mixed everything. He already mixed all our DN3D soundtracks and now he finally feels confident enough to mix our band as well. :)
We're working on a new EP which will be finished in winter/spring 2024.

Unfortunately our bass player quit but we decided to continue with the 3 of us.

User is offline   X-Vector 

Tea Rex goes IZJ?

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMerlijn, on 18 November 2023 - 03:17 AM, said:

The song is in Dutch and about the guy who lead our country for 12 years.. It's not too positive :P

if you want the government mad at you, make a song about them stealing all that land from the farmers.

good production level on the audio and video. catchy tune.

This post has been edited by Forge: 18 November 2023 - 07:35 AM

Thanks guys! At X-Vector, I didn't know that band, will check them out! I think 'Doe maar' was an actual source of inspiration for this song, subconsciously at least! :D

IZJ was a local (Alkmaar) band, defunct for a while now.Surprised you didn't know them since they used to play quite a lot in the area as far as I know and the vocalist also had (has?) his own record lables - first Geesthuis, then U-Lit.

User is offline   jkas789 

Hey that video was pretty cool mate! Great song.

EDIT: Ah, I was talking about this but the reply got fucked up. My bad.

EDIT: Supergraaf is also cool as well. \( ̄▽ ̄)/

This post has been edited by jkas789: 21 December 2023 - 09:09 PM

It's actually "supergaaf!", meaning "very cool!" or "awesome!" (it's apparently also a book discussing the rhetorical style of (former) Dutch prime minister Mark Rutte).

"Supergraaf" would be "superearl".

View Postjkas789, on 21 December 2023 - 09:06 PM, said:

Hey that video was pretty cool mate! Great song.

EDIT: Ah, I was talking about this but the reply got fucked up. My bad.It's actually "supergaaf!", meaning "very cool!" or "awesome!"[/quo

EDIT: Supergraaf is also cool as well. \( ̄▽ ̄)/

Thanks man! B) That must have been one of the final performances of Reveal actually, we haven't played it with Tea Rex (yet?).
Come to think of it, the song would deserve a studio version.

IZJ was a local (Alkmaar) band, defunct for a while now.Surprised you didn't know them since they used to play quite a lot in the area as far as I know and the vocalist also had (has?) his own record lables

Actually now that you mention it.. I must seen them a couple of times, at least on Mixtream (local festival), but that was over 10 years ago :D

It's actually "supergaaf!", meaning "very cool!" or "awesome!"

It's mocking the rhetorical style of our prime minister Rutte, who has been our prime minister for 13 years (!).
Since the song is strictly about Dutch issues we figured it would make more sense to have the lyrics in Dutch as well.

We just released a new song + video!

We're really proud of this one, I think the combination of the music and the video is one of the best things we've done so far ^_^
Our Red 5, so to speak. ;)

The full EP is out now! It contains both Supergaaf, Waiting for the Waves and 2 new songs B)

https://open.spotify...pQmGM84X0R1y1Tw

For those without Spotify:
https://www.youtube....zElFAK1h_ldh7Po

Again, the whole thing has been done in-house, Maarten has done the recording and mixing.
This gives us full control over the creative process and we're really happy with the results.

Quick description of the other songs: All I see I see is a dynamic song with some resemblance to our Duke soundtracks, except it gets heavier. Embrace the Lie is funk rock a la early RHCP, quick and to the point with a nice punky chorus.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options