Duke4.net Forums: Control settings - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Control settings  "Rctrl - fire"

User is offline   axl 

Using the latest version of EDuke32 (20181207-7242).

Default settings has rctrl as "fire". I always use left mouse as "fire" and rctrl as "mighty boot". Changing this in the control settings works, but everytime I quit the game and start it up, the game returns to the default setting and rctrl will cause Duke to both fire and use the mighty boot.

User is offline   Mark 

There are other settings savings issues with 7241 which seem to have carried over to 7242. Hopefully fixed soon.

User is offline   axl 

View PostMark, on 08 December 2018 - 07:23 AM, said:

There are other settings savings issues with 7241 which seem to have carried over to 7242. Hopefully fixed soon.

Yes, indeed, you're right. Been testing a bit and there's lots of settings that don't carry over when quitting and restarting the game...

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

r7299 also does this. It's actually quite annoying.

User is offline   Mark 

TX recently fixed the issue of Polymer use not saving. Evidently not the other ones yet.

• The Truth is in here

I am playing in software, so that's definitely still broken.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

as a temp fix change the eduke32.cfg & settings.cfg bindings to what you want, then make the files read-only

User is offline   Mark 

deleted, never mind

This post has been edited by Mark: 31 December 2018 - 11:55 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Could you guys give me a bit more information on this issue? What exactly does get written to settings.cfg in these cases?

User is offline   axl 

Sorry, messed a bit. See below.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Duke1.png
  • Attached Image: Duke2.png

This post has been edited by axl: 01 January 2019 - 04:19 AM

User is offline   axl 

View PostTerminX, on 31 December 2018 - 12:00 PM, said:

Could you guys give me a bit more information on this issue? What exactly does get written to settings.cfg in these cases?

I made a little overview of the different issues encountered:

A. Saving issues after restarting

1. Control settings always refer back to default after quitting the game and restarting. As an example, I first deleted all bindings and quit (screenshot 1). After restarting the game, the controls settings were automatically restored (screenshot 2).

2. The number of "voices" under the advanced tab in audio, isn't stored after quitting and restarting. It always restores its default setting value of "128".

B. Other issues

3. The "filtered" texture mode doesn't work anymore. Textures remain "classic".

4. Not really an issue, but something that keeps bothering me. It seems that Polymer loads additional skyboxes extremely fast, while polymost doesn't and can cause a little bit "stutter" while loading. This can hinder gameplay in maps where skyboxes are used multiple times. For example, in Spaceport, this not only gives stutter right at the beginning of the level, but also the second time when you can view "outdoor".

My apologies for using this thread to list other issues. But I thought an overview could be helpful.

Thanks for looking into these.

User is offline   Mark 

If its not there already, try adding this line in settings.cfg and see if Filtered stays when you set it. I could be wrong but I seem to remember that worked for me. I run 32 bit and Polymer rendering. I'm not sure about the settings that others have mentioned. They might not have been in a proper bug thread. Here is a link to another issue someone had with a recent revision. No idea if its been fixed yet or not but I linked to it in case it hasn't.
https://forums.duke4...post__p__309820

This post has been edited by Mark: 01 January 2019 - 06:17 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I found this thread from Nov. In one of my posts I discovered that filter won't work unless palette emulation is turned off. Maybe that is still the case in newer revisions?
https://forums.duke4...post__p__308875

This post has been edited by Mark: 01 January 2019 - 12:52 PM

• The Truth is in here

I cannot check right now, but at least the attack and strafe keys got reset in my config. Also anything I bound manually to mouse buttons. There are controls that don't change, though.

User is offline   axl 

View PostMark, on 01 January 2019 - 12:50 PM, said:

I found this thread from Nov. In one of my posts I discovered that filter won't work unless palette emulation is turned off. Maybe that is still the case in newer revisions?
https://forums.duke4...post__p__308875

Indeed. There seems to be a connection. It seems that In polymost texture filtering works whether palette emulation is on or off. In polymer, texture filtering only works if palette emulation is off.

This post has been edited by axl: 01 January 2019 - 01:25 PM

• el fundador

View Postaxl, on 01 January 2019 - 01:23 PM, said:

Indeed. There seems to be a connection. It seems that In polymost texture filtering works whether palette emulation is on or off. In polymer, texture filtering only works if palette emulation is off.

That's how it's going to stay for a while because that's how Plagman left it when he abandoned work on Polymer. Polymer is not currently a development priority.

The issue about skyboxes in Polymost is extremely interesting though!

User is offline   axl 

Aside from the issues 1,2 and 4 still being open in the latest version 7309 (I won't mention the 3rd issue since this is only related to polymer), I've noticed some other weird behavior:

1. Ripper sound : not the first time an issue related to the ripper (https://forums.duke4...ipper-behavior/), but it seems that the sound / firing rate for the ripper is still much slower in EDuke32 than in dosbox / megaton / WT versions where it is much faster.

2. When changing "contrast" to anything above 1.00 and then altering "gamma", both "contrast" and "brightness" settings will freeze and turn blue (see screenshot below). I do not know if this is intended or not.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.png

This post has been edited by axl: 12 January 2019 - 07:54 AM

• The Truth is in here

This issue is still not resolved in latest snapshots.

User is offline   axl 

View PostNightFright, on 18 February 2019 - 12:31 PM, said:

This issue is still not resolved in latest snapshots.

Correct. As a matter of fact, it seems that Ion Maiden has the exact same control issue as mentioned in my first post: restarting the game always returns to the default setting of rctrl as "fire".

This post has been edited by axl: 18 February 2019 - 12:51 PM

• The Truth is in here

Not all keys are reset, but the ones that are affected are seriously conflicting with my custom movement settings. Here are those that I can confirm:

Turn left/right
Strafe
Look up/down
Look left/right
Aim up
Inventory
Mouse Aiming
Steroids

It's really super annoying and one of the bigger problems I am having with recent builds. If IM suffers from the same issue, at least I guess there is a realistic chance this will be addressed before the game is released.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 19 February 2019 - 12:17 AM

tested on 7352, ALL unbound keys reset to defaults

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 23 February 2019 - 04:30 PM

• The Truth is in here

Right, that's probably the core of the problem. I don't need Look Up/Down keys for example, so I just delete all binds for it. After restart they are back, interferring with my customized controls (again).

This post has been edited by NightFright: 24 February 2019 - 12:04 AM

r7358 still happens

• el fundador

In what ways does it interfere? It should only be rebound on startup if the default key isn't bound to anything and the control isn't bound either.

View PostTerminX, on 28 February 2019 - 02:47 PM, said:

In what ways does it interfere? It should only be rebound on startup if the default key isn't bound to anything and the control isn't bound either.

it's annoying. i don't want it bound to anything. i don't need those keys.

there's already a "reset to defaults" option, so why is this a thing? it only serves to give the user less control of their binds

the game has a lot of useless keys to people that plays with mouse (look up, down, to the sides, fire) i don't want to press the wrong key and blow my face off with the rpg or something :)

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 28 February 2019 - 04:24 PM

• The Truth is in here

I don't recall EDuke32 resetting unbound keys on startup before the more recent snapshots. If you use mouselook (which I bet most people are), there is e.g. virtually no way you would ever want to use look up/down keys. Therefore, I unbind them. Also since I like to use the numpad keys for movement and inventory (sad that KP5 cannot be bound any more btw - was my favorite key for activating inventory items, scrolling through with left/right keys on the keypad).

It just sucks if you want to use some keys bound to useless functions, un-/rebind them and after next startup you look up when moving forward for example. I don't want to bind stuff like look up/down to keys I never use just to avoid a reset.

In general I am not sure how certain keys are still justified to be listed in the key setup other than for historical reasons maybe, e.g. look up, look down or mouse aim (the famous "u" key). Mouse aiming should be (and is) the default, anyway. Why would anybody want to play this game only with a keyboard these days?

This post has been edited by NightFright: 01 March 2019 - 10:36 AM

User is offline   axl 

View PostLazy Dog, on 28 February 2019 - 03:49 PM, said:

it's annoying. i don't want it bound to anything. i don't need those keys.

there's already a "reset to defaults" option, so why is this a thing? it only serves to give the user less control of their binds

the game has a lot of useless keys to people that plays with mouse (look up, down, to the sides, fire) i don't want to press the wrong key and blow my face off with the rpg or something :)

I agree here. Why should it go back to certain default settings ? If the user decides to unbound something, then it should stay that way.

View Postaxl, on 01 March 2019 - 11:14 AM, said:

I agree here. Why should it go back to certain default settings ? If the user decides to unbound something, then it should stay that way.

i just tabbed out, an when i came back eduke was thinking i keep alt pressed, so moving my mouse was making me strafe. normally i would have unbound alt altogether, but now i can't. can this be fixed plz?, and don't say bind it to another key, i don't even need a "hold to strafe with mouse" key!

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 02 March 2019 - 06:04 PM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostNightFright, on 01 March 2019 - 10:28 AM, said:

(sad that KP5 cannot be bound any more btw

excuse me what

• The Truth is in here

Well, that's what happens to me with my German keyboard. Maybe you guys are luckier, but if I press KP5 in the keyboard setup, it's just not recognized. It's been like that for quite a while already.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options