Duke4.net Forums: The Good, The Bad, The Hyped 2018 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Good, The Bad, The Hyped 2018

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Jesus tap dancing Christ the Game Awards were 200 flavors of shit, nothing even remotely worth a damn and a damn insulting GOTY winner.
But it's still that time of the year where we list the games we loved, the games we didn't and the game's we're looking forward to next year.

I don't really have much to list as I've pretty much given up on modern gaming and gone back to buying older consoles, revisiting favorite classics and playing some old games I missed out on.
I did play other 2018 games like Soul Calibur 6, Fist of the North Star and such, but I haven't played enough of them to form an opinion yet.
I haven't managed to play Yakuza 6 yet either as I still haven't gotten around to finishing Yakuza 5 yet.

Rules:
Your Best and worst have to be 2018 releases and your hyped have to have confirmed 2019 releases, so as much as I'm looking forward to them, there's no Doom Eternal or Cyberpunk 2077 here.

Here's mine:
The Good:
Posted Image
Disappointed that it's gameplay is just a copy of the original game so it still has the flaws of the first game, but I still enjoyed the game very much and Arthur Morgan is a fantastic character, it's the only 2018 release that I actually played all the way through.

So that's the only good for me.

The Bad:
Posted Image
Game was dead to me the moment I saw it had timed missions.

Posted Image
Stuff like this makes me believe gaming isn't worth fighting for anymore.

The Hyped:
Posted Image
When it was first revealed I was nervous, but the game has been putting my worries to rest the closer it gets to release.

Posted Image
I've been waiting 10 years for this sh*t and was a part of the push back against DmC and am so proud to be part of a fanbase that was willing to fight that disgrace of a decision, this game means a great deal to me.

Posted Image
I love the Walking Dead and this game seems just like the Daryl Dixon simulator I can enjoy.

Posted Image
Not really hyped for it, but I do wanna play this, however you can bet your ass I'm on alert against Bethesda after this shit they pulled with that other game.

Posted Image
I used to respect the hell outta 3D Realms, but Fred is really tainting my view of the once great company with his attitude, however their VOIDPOINT'S new Build based FPS seems to be pretty damn cool, despite the fact that it's female lead is as generic and safe as one could possibly be, still it's being developed by some of the fine members of this forum and other talented developers, so I'm looking forward to this. Just shut the fuck up Fred.

Yeah not much of a list for me as I've gone back to my PS2/Xbox/PS3/Xbox360/PC games for the most part this year, games these days are just too slow, artsy and full of leftist politics and scummy business tactics for me now.

Still what are your favorite, least favorite and most hyped games?

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 07 December 2018 - 01:42 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Did you actually play God of War? If so, what exactly were you looking for that it didn't deliver? I'm genuinely curious.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 07 December 2018 - 02:01 AM, said:

Did you actually play God of War? If so, what exactly were you looking for that it didn't deliver? I'm genuinely curious.

Yes I did, I got as far as that part where there was that giant corpse in the snow level who was killed by Thor I think, can't remember exactly, I stopped playing out of boredom when I got there and haven't touched it since.

My main problems with the game are:
- Walking
- Unskippable Cutscenes
- Walking
- Poor Combat
- Walking
- Did I mention walking?

Seriously what the fuck is up with walking in games nowadays? God of War 1 through Ascension always threw you straight into the combat the moment you took control of Kratos.
In God of War 4 I have to walk for like 30 minutes or so listening to dialog and putting up with unskippable cutscenes before I even get to the action.

It's not what I want out of my action games and especially not from a series as chaotic as God of War.

The combat is awful and the camera is the biggest reason as to why, so much so that even the game itself agrees, the camera being stuck so far up Krato's ass that there has to be indicators showing up to tell you when an attack is coming.
Past games always zoomed out showing all the enemies you were fighting so you could manage the battle better, in GoW 4 it's just borderline frustrating to not being able to see all the enemies blind siding you from behind 90% of the time, especially those ranged enemies that just keep throwing projectiles at you while your busy fighting a guy in front of you, it's just not fun.

The RPG elements make the game even more of a chore for me, past GoW games were far more skill based than one would think, especially on higher difficulties, I beat past games by ramping my skills up, learning the enemies attack patterns, learning how to parry/dodge and what not.
In GoW4 it's pretty much numbers based. Can't beat a higher level monster? Come back later with higher stats, better gear and wreck him, no skill required.

As for story it was a failure right from the start, I became a God of War fan for how chaotic and over the top it was, God of War was about, blood, guts, colossal boss fights, tits, sex mini games and such, it was as video game as a video game could get.
But a cinematic walkie talkie feels-a-thon? Why is this a universal 10/10, game of the year all years worthy game?

But if you want a simple answer as to what I was looking for in God of War 4:
I was looking for a Video Game.

EDIT:
The sole problem of the game from the Kratos VA himself:

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 07 December 2018 - 03:17 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

We'll have to agree to disagree on pretty much everything you listed.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I liked the original Rage, so I'm interested in Rage 2, especially as they seemed (in the trailer) to get a lot of stuff right that they missed in the original. Stuff like proper vehicle combat, more open environments, etc. I'm optimistic.

The main game on the radar for me is the new Doom entry. That looks like an obscene amount of fun. Bring it on!

Beyond that, I'm looking forward to the new Wolfenstein game. I love the bonkers storyline, the OTT weapons and amazing design and artwork of the previous entries. I'm going to see how the new dynamic of using his daughters instead of BJ works out before I get hyped, but it's definitely on my radar.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

God of War is amazing. Screw you. I liked it more than the originals. And I'm not a guy who values story over gameplay. I thought the combat was a huge step up.

I also think this was one of the better Game Awards shows. There was very little I had issues with as far as cringe-factor, out-of-place advertisement/celebrity presence, and disorganization.

The Good:
-God of War
-Spider-Man
-Smash

The Bad:
-Fallout 76

As far as what I'm hyped about, Ion Maiden obviously. Other than that, just Smash. Some upcoming games looked interesting but nothing I'm over the moon about. The Last Campfire looks pretty, Among Trees (though we have no idea what that could be), The Outer Worlds looks super interesting (more interesting than 3D Fallouts have ever been to me), and I'm also still looking out for Witchfire which looks like a barrel of fun. I have no idea what the release dates for these are so sorry if they're not 2019.

Oh right, and Doom Eternal.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 07 December 2018 - 06:44 AM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostTea Monster, on 07 December 2018 - 04:21 AM, said:

I liked the original Rage, so I'm interested in Rage 2, especially as they seemed (in the trailer) to get a lot of stuff right that they missed in the original. Stuff like proper vehicle combat, more open environments, etc. I'm optimistic.

It looks like RAGE 2 will skip Steam, launching exclusively on Bethesda Launcher for PC, where pre-orders are LIVE for all platforms. Not surprising since they probably are tired of giving Valve a huge cut of their profits.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

My good:
- Red Dead 3 Redemption 2 The prequel but numbered as a sequel the movie the game
- God of Boi
- Ion Maiden's cock tease
- Spyro Reignited Childhood
- A Way Out
- Warhammer Vermintide 2
- Ass Creed Odyssey
- Far Cry 5

My bad:
- Far Cry 5 (It was a 50/50 split)
- Spider-Man (I don't think the game itself is bad, it just wasnt for me)
- Redeption 2's online mode

My hyped:
- Hitman 2 (on the backlog)
- Rage 2
- Doom Eternal
- The Outer Worlds
- Far Cry New Dawn
- Cyberpunk
- Avengers Endgame
- My first born child

Not hyped:
- PC games going exclusive to separate clients (Epic games launcher, Bethesdanet, etc etc)
- Most of the games I'm excited for end up releasing in the second half of the year when my child is born and I have zero free time to enjoy any of them

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 07 December 2018 - 04:46 PM

The Good, The Bad, and The Hyped:
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options