Duke4.net Forums: Browser playable Duke 3D - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Browser playable Duke 3D  "Duke 3D shareware playable in your browser"

User is offline   Mack 

From the author's Twitter account:

☢ It was one of my geek dream since I'm a teen and I finally did it.
Duke Nukem 3D is one of my favorite game of all time, and now I modified it so that it can run in a browser. Click & Play! That simple!
Google Chrome advised. QWERTY keyboard mapping.

Play here:
https://gawen.me/webduke/

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

An impressive curiosity! I tried playing it but gave up after 30 seconds because QWERTY sucks for me. But yup, it's Duke 3D shareware all right.

No lie, I actually clicked on this thread because I misread it. I thought it said "Bowser playable in Duke 3D."

User is offline   xMobilemux 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 03 December 2018 - 12:10 AM, said:

"Bowser playable in Duke 3D."

Well I guess we know your next mod.

User is offline   Player Lin 

It runs like shit on my Firefox 63(<25 fps, lot of heavy stutters and even key stuck, not sure why)...

Chrome 70 much better(30~50 fps, smaller area can go to ~59fps), but Chrome's "ESC to exist fullscreen mode" hates the game, cannot use ESC key to open or go back main menu...since it will exit fullscreen and pause the game so it's just make the ESC key not usable ingame.

User is offline   Tekedon 

Needs to be optimized. Lags for me too in chrome. Around 30 fps.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Well I guess here's the answer to that question I asked a while ago.

View PostPlayer Lin, on 03 December 2018 - 08:37 AM, said:

Chrome 70 much better(30~50 fps, smaller area can go to ~59fps), but Chrome's "ESC to exist fullscreen mode" hates the game, cannot use ESC key to open or go back main menu...since it will exit fullscreen and pause the game so it's just make the ESC key not usable ingame.

I too tried this with Chrome and apart from the issue mentioned above it also draws the lower and upper portions of the screen outside the actual widescreen display for me because it keeps the 4:3 aspect ratio but fits it to the actual screen's width. It would be much more practical to just run this in the original 640x480 mode at least as an option.

I also wonder what this is actually based on code-wise, original source code, EDuke32 or something else? The way it displays the menu and the simplified HUD it appears to be EDuke32.

Also why isn't the guy who did this a member of this board?

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 03 December 2018 - 11:34 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

There were some other sites that allowed you to play Duke, and other classic DOS games online (https://classicreloa...-out-in-dc.html). One of my workplaces dropped their web-blocking software for a week and I took an obscene amount of pleasure to be PAID to play Duke Nukem on the work's computer!

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 03 December 2018 - 11:43 AM

Running the DOS version of Duke through a browser implementation of DOSBox ain't the same thing as a genuine browser version.

Although some DOSBox implementations do have more or less decent performance. IIRC JS-DOS worked rather fine for me (that is, it wasn't unplayable).

That, of course, if you're willing to play with the wrong aspect ratio; in 640x480, the DOS version will probably drop to unplayable frame rates in a browser-based DOSBox version. I have just played the JS-DOS thing mentioned above again. There are looong loading times (several minutes just to start the game), and the game lagged noticeably in the demo mode even though I dropped to low detail (in addition to low resolution), turned off shadows and reduced the screen size a bit. Started E1L1 on Come Get Some and the framerates were more or less OK. Still better to use actual DOSBox or EDuke32.

UPD: Tried this version as well (this is a different DOSBox-in-browser implementation), the results are pretty similar in that if you drop to low detail, turn off shadows and reduce the screen size a notch from the default setting it will play at an acceptable framerate. Maybe this is good for tablets or whatnot but not the best experience on the PC, even not counting the awful loading times.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 04 December 2018 - 02:11 AM

View PostMrFlibble, on 03 December 2018 - 11:33 AM, said:

it also draws the lower and upper portions of the screen outside the actual widescreen display for me because it keeps the 4:3 aspect ratio but fits it to the actual screen's width. It would be much more practical to just run this in the original 640x480 mode at least as an option.

Sorry for the misleading post, I just realised that this only happened because I set up Chrome to 130% zoom by default. The game runs in 640x480, and actually runs well.

Even though the Esc key does not work in Chrome at least you can navigate the menu before starting the game by clicking the right mouse button which takes you back to the previous menu, very handy! I wonder if there's an alternate key to enter the menu once you're in the game.

User is offline   NNC 

No lie, I actually clicked on this thread because I misread it. I thought it said "Bowser playable in Duke 3D."

LOL, same here.

Just one more step from this?
Posted Image

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Backspace enters the menu

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I thought it said "Bowser playable in Duke 3D."

View PostxMobilemux, on 03 December 2018 - 12:17 AM, said:

Well I guess we know your next mod.

AI Bombshell as Princess Peach combined with the materials from my Super Nukem Bros. mod. :)

Or bring back the Mario Nukem mod and add her to it.

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 09 December 2018 - 05:48 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 09 December 2018 - 05:42 PM, said:

Or bring back the Mario Nukem mod and add her to it.

Nintendo is much more protective of their IP than they were back when we made that TC. I don't want to put a lot of work into it only to have it shut down. I know you weren't serious, but I have seriously thought about bringing that back over the years.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 09 December 2018 - 05:50 PM, said:

Nintendo is much more protective of their IP than they were back when we made that TC. I don't want to put a lot of work into it only to have it shut down. I know you weren't serious, but I have seriously thought about bringing that back over the years.

Yeah, that crossed my mind. I'd like to see that make a comeback someday or a similar project. I really enjoyed this DOOM mod. Something like that for Duke3D would be fun.

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 10 December 2018 - 04:40 AM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

If you're doing an infringing project, don't do it under the same name as your other stuff. Use a pseudonym. Don't reveal too much until it is finished.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

This "webduke" is in violation of the GPL.

View PostHendricks266, on 10 December 2018 - 09:46 AM, said:

This "webduke" is in violation of the GPL.

Because the source code is not provided?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMrFlibble, on 10 December 2018 - 10:19 AM, said:

Because the source code is not provided?

Yeah. If you use the link in the tweet that loads "DUKE3D.GRP.atomic", it is also straight up piracy.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostHendricks266, on 10 December 2018 - 10:37 AM, said:

Yeah. If you use the link in the tweet that loads "DUKE3D.GRP.atomic", it is also straight up piracy.

^this

the link in the o.p. opens the shareware version, but the link in the tweet opens the retail commercial atomic version

i was able to download it & rename it. Probably a good idea to edit the o.p. and remove the link to the tweet.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options