Duke4.net Forums: PC Classic Mini - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

PC Classic Mini

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

So, apparently this is a real thing. At first I thought it was a joke when I saw it on Facebook. Apparently the games will come on SD cards? I didn't watch the whole video but I did catch him saying something about that. It shows him playing with an XBox controller, but he was also playing Quake 2 with keyboard and mouse at the end.

User is offline   Lunick 

That video is not a very good way to show off the machine

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

so it's a 486dx laptop & a few ports
sd cards are a pretty sucky way to store games since they wear out fairly quickly - invest in a bunch of blanks and make back-up copies.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

What a fucking terrible idea. I hate this industry so much.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

I see two ways this could work

- Either preload it with a vast number of games. This would be aimed at the same sort of audience as NES Mini, Atari Flashback and the likes. 30 games won't cut it unless they really hit the jackpot with what they've managed to license (Doom, various LucasArts adventures, SimCity, Theme Park, Lemmings)
- Or just sell the hardware as is and leave it to the buyer to supply their own games. This would be aimed at a more enthusiast gamer and would call for something more authentic than an emulator running on an ARM SoC.

View PostForge, on 12 November 2018 - 09:55 PM, said:

so it's a 486dx laptop & a few ports
sd cards are a pretty sucky way to store games since they wear out fairly quickly - invest in a bunch of blanks and make back-up copies.

A 486 wouldn't run Quake II. If we're talking DOS era games I think SD cards would do fine, the savefiles are pretty minuscule compared to the storage so you wouldn't be overwriting the same block continuously.

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 13 November 2018 - 01:23 AM

It's a blatant money grab, and I'm afraid many idiots will fall for it because NOSTALGIAAAA!!!!!1111!!11

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I haven't been impressed by any of these "mini" models honestly. The functionality is really bare bones and gimmicky.

The C64 one really left me uphappy. I made the decision after that one came out to just get the real hardware.

• The Sarien Encounter

I would love to get the NES and SNES classic minis. Those are about the only ones. They can be hacked to add even more roms on them and the controllers work with Wii remotes. Plus, great for the kids. I heard the Genesis mini is crap, though. Ditto for the recent PS1 mini. This one doesn't excite me at all.

How much it cost that thing? For those who own the old consoles + games already, would be better to play them on some emulator.
What about Retro Arch and end of the problem?

You can always buy a decent mini-pc and place emulators on it, just don't let kids play games like Battle Toads or i believe that pc can fly.

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 13 November 2018 - 09:05 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 13 November 2018 - 07:54 PM, said:

I would love to get the NES and SNES classic minis. Those are about the only ones.

The emulation is garbage and features are lacking. Just get a RetroUSB AVS/Analogue NT mini for NES or Analogue Super NT for SNES + an Everdrive.

I heard the Genesis mini is crap, though.

Kevtris/Anologue is working on a solution for the Genesis as well.

Ditto for the recent PS1 mini. This one doesn't excite me at all.

You could just mod yourself a PS2 machine, and load every PS1 and PS2 game ever on it. And you could still play disc games and use original controllers.

This post has been edited by Jimmy 4k: 13 November 2018 - 09:12 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostJimmy 4k, on 13 November 2018 - 09:09 PM, said:

The emulation is garbage and features are lacking.

Elaborate.

Just get a RetroUSB AVS/Analogue NT mini for NES or Analogue Super NT for SNES + an Everdrive.

Is that that knockoff NES with like 600 games advertised on the box?

I do want those controllers, though. Just cuz.

You could just mod yourself a PS2 machine, and load every PS1 and PS2 game ever on it. And you could still play disc games and use original controllers.

Used to have a PS2. Sold it. Never played it much. I was never a Playstation guy, really. I have a PSX for the couple PS1 games I liked as a kid and PS3 for movies and a small handful of games we're all interested in and I'm happy.

Actually, though, when I said "This one doesn't excite me at all" I was referring to this PC Classic Mini announcement. I like my big complex PC where I can emulate my own options effectively. And better yet, my classic PCs with vintage hardware. I don't need a miniature solution. And if I have anything to do with it, my kids won't either.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 13 November 2018 - 09:38 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 13 November 2018 - 09:37 PM, said:

Elaborate.

Nintendo's first party emulation has always been very poor. There's tons of information out there about it. As for features, the Classics are barebones. Nintendo literally disdains their fanbase, and this cynicism is very obvious in the products they release and the manner in which they release them.

Is that that knockoff NES with like 600 games advertised on the box?

No way man. Those three are FPGA hardware consoles. No emulation. They can even double the amount of sprites visible on screen at any given time, making a lot of NES games look miles better because there's little to no sprite flicker.

My Life in Gaming - RetroUSB AVS (NES)
My Life in Gaming - Analogue NT Mini (NES)
My Life in Gaming - Analogue Super NT (SNES)
My Life in Gaming - Everdrives

Actually, though, when I said "This one doesn't excite me at all" I was referring to this PC Classic Mini announcement. I like my big complex PC where I can emulate my own options effectively. And better yet, my classic PCs with vintage hardware. I don't need a miniature solution. And if I have anything to do with it, my kids won't either.

Just like Diablo Immortal, I literally have no idea what audience this PC Mini is intended for.

This post has been edited by Jimmy 4k: 13 November 2018 - 10:21 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostJimmy 4k, on 13 November 2018 - 10:12 PM, said:

Just like Diablo Immortal, I literally have no idea what audience this PC Mini is intended for.

Agreed.

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I get the novelty of the NES mini.

I really don't get the idea behind mini pc's like this or the commodore. If you're into those kind of things you're likely into them for hobbyist/enthusiast reasons. Like running classic games on classic hardware, to get the authentic experience.

Like with me I wanted to fuck around with commodore game development/BASIC. The C64 mini is just emulation in a C64 case. Same for this thing. So what's the point? I hate to put it this way, but this seems like something made for hipsters.

User is offline   leilei 

Doom looks/sounds like Chocolate Doom. Enforced pixel aspect, aliased 44khz sound + NukedOPL3 percussion is heard
Jill and Keen looks played on DOSBox 0.74 (non-doublescanned 320x200 = YUCK! also the percussion in jill gives away the poorly configured FM rate)
Quake2 looks like Yamagi

A dedicated frontend game-data-packager-powered small linux distro as a NOOBs image for a Pi would probably put this snake oil guy out of business.

also ergh the IBM + EnergyStar knockoff logo. I'm sure that "homage" will be violating some registered trademarks....

This post has been edited by leilei: 14 November 2018 - 12:59 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Theoretically speaking, I can understand the appeal of a dedicated "retro" gaming PC thingy, but if this is used to run games through source ports and emulators anyway, then what's the difference between it and just installing the same ports and emulators on your own regular machine? As for portability a laptop would do just fine I guess even with a relatively small screen because it doesn't really matter that much for VGA or even SVGA 640x480 games.

Now if they'd assembled a hardware configuration for natively running DOS stuff in FreeDOS for example (which is actually what I kinda sorta hoped for when I started watching), and provided a neat solution for the 4:3 aspect ratio, that would be interesting.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 14 November 2018 - 03:04 AM

User is offline   Avoozl 

Honestly I fail to see the point in this.

This post has been edited by Grand Admiral Thrawn: 14 November 2018 - 05:36 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options