Duke4.net Forums: problem with screen settings not being applied - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

problem with screen settings not being applied

User is offline   Mark 

I'm having a problem with screen settings. My brightness, gamma, etc can be adjusted and saved in the cfg files. But next time I run the game, even though F11 shows the new settings, the game uses the old default settings. I've tried a few eduke versions and get the same results with any of them. That leads me to think its something in my project files.
It looks like right after choosing map and difficulty I hit enter and the menu backround screen goes brighter like the defaults just kicked in. All my other graphics and sound settings are saved and used next time. Any thoughts?

Edit: Would it have anything to do with later revisions and whether or not its installed in "Program Files" or not? There was a recent thread about where Eduke32 files get saved now. Its got me stumped.

This post has been edited by Mark: 10 November 2018 - 05:30 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMark, on 10 November 2018 - 05:19 PM, said:

There was a recent thread about where Eduke32 files get saved now. Its got me stumped.

Really? I'm using r7136. Besides the one in my vanilla install directory of C:/Duke3D, the only eduke32.cfg, files on my comp are in the sub-directories of mods & addons.

So dumb question time, is the directory or cfg files 'read-only'?
That's the only thing I can think of, if you're absolutely sure there are no other cfg or def files polluting your install folder

User is offline   Mark 

After setting the menu options it saves to the cfg files so they are not set to read only. Also if I press F11 it also shows the sliders at the new values. It just doesn't apply the new values to the screen. When it wasn't using the values from the settings.cfg file I created an autoexec.cfg file with the gamma value and even that won't apply.

EDIT: It was the palette emulation setting that was screwing things up. I have to set it to "on". I guess I'll have to read old posts to figure what that feature is supposed to do and why I need it. :D

EDIT AGAIN: I can't use filtering with Palette Emulation on. Dammit. :rolleyes: :wub:

I want the screen gamma and vis settings more than the filtering so I guess I'll have to deal with no filtering.

This post has been edited by Mark: 10 November 2018 - 08:10 PM

User is offline   Forge 

Alright.
No idea.
What I was getting at is if those files are read only, it lets you apply and see changes while in the game, but as soon as you quit, your changes are lost.

edit: nvm, install third-party shit to the base directory, don't try a clean install, blame the snapshot. ???, Profit.

This post has been edited by Forge: 10 November 2018 - 08:19 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Screw it. I'm going back to an older version. My Polymer lighting is screwed up in newer revisions. Flames are not casting lights but my other added lights are OK. I made sure that the menu option for dynamic lighting is on "full". Now this project I'm updating with all the problems is very old and may or may not have anything to do with it. But what I do know is it falls apart under newer revisions. It had been running fine with 4376 which is what was included when I downloaded the project. I'll see how far up I can go without glitches. I guess it would be good to know what revision started the palette emulation choice in the menu

This post has been edited by Mark: 10 November 2018 - 08:45 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMark, on 10 November 2018 - 08:41 PM, said:

It had been running fine with 4376 which is what was included when I downloaded the project.

You were expecting no changes in the last four and a half years with the snapshot & for third-party project stuff to work flawlessly?
This could have been explained in the o.p.

User is offline   Mark 

I read previous posts that Gambini and a couple of others were also complaining about the palette emulation, vis, filtering etc....

Of course I knew there would be changes. But I have run other old projects under newer revisions so I gave it a try on this latest one.

User is offline   Forge 

That's fine, but erase from your knowledge temporarily that you are talking about a projects, filtering, palette emu, 4+ year old snapshot behavior, etc.

Now go back and re-read your op.

Completely different picture when none of those things are mentioned -

I'm trying to help you figure out why your shotgun missed the duck by fishing all the pellets off the bottom of the lake. But you hid the shell under your seat cushion & I have no idea if you're using buck shot, a slug, or bird shot.

User is offline   Mark 

Doesn't matter if the project was 6 weeks or 6 years old. The main graphics problem/fix was having to enable Palette Emulation. After that were issues related to PE.

BTW, I was using unpopped kernels of microwave popcorn. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Mark: 11 November 2018 - 08:40 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options